Alabama QB competition article

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If you are going to use NC game to go on, I don't see how you see a QB battle not being settled...practically speaking. I mean, that's not a two QB system for success.

I seriosly doubt we'd see a similar scenario in a big game where Tua started and Jalen was called on to come in and save the game.

However, considering the regular season, just reverse the roles from last year and that's how I think this year looks. And it really suits their strengths if you think about it. Tua's the type of QB who should help us get out to quicker leads and Jalen's best suited for salting games away with time consuming running drives.
That is not what i'm suggesting. I'm saying look back to the regular season. and the QB position is not settled.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I try to listen very closely to every word Saban says when someone asks him about the QB situation and what I hear leads me to believe that there will not be a 2 QB system. I think he will choose one guy as the clear starter and the other as the backup. I wouldn't rule out Jalen trying a different position if he's OK with that. Jalen has appeared in two championship games now but failed to lead us to victory in either one. It's true that 2 years ago we can't pin the Clemson loss all on Jalen because there was plenty of blame to go around, but it was still a loss. So the goal at Alabama is to win a NC and looking at the stats Jalen is 0 for 2 and Tua is 1 for 1. That's a big factor in Tua's favor.
Not taking into account a transfer by Jalen, I only see Saban allowing Jalen to change positions if another QB solidifies the backup position. This is still a team first sport and that even trickles down to the second string players. It may benefit Jalen better, on a personal level to change positions to get more playing time. But does it benefit the team? If we do not have a solid backup to plug in Jalen's spot then my guess is he's staying put at QB. That's not saying Saban won't listen to Jalen and give him an opportunity to make his case for changing positions. But if Jalen changing positions leaves us completely exposed and vulnerable at the backup QB position I doubt Saban would allow a position change.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not so sure I agree with that. The offense with jalen was a bit boom or bust. in other words it seemed like either long runs, or getting stuffed and going 3 and out. Defenses knew they could stack the box, it's just every once and a while we'd break a long one. To salt away a game after we have a good lead, we need a steady dose of 4-5 yards runs that keep the sticks and the clock moving, with an occasional play action pass to force defenses back and not let them cram the LOS.
It was almost like Saban got comfortable with that, after three years of Lane. I believe that the decision to insert Tua was made back at the end of the narrow escape in the MSU game, when a gritty and determined team dug in and committed to stopping the run at any cost and hope for a cold hand from Jalen. I do think we'll move in another direction, although we'll continue to be primarily a running team...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not so sure I agree with that. The offense with jalen was a bit boom or bust. in other words it seemed like either long runs, or getting stuffed and going 3 and out. Defenses knew they could stack the box, it's just every once and a while we'd break a long one. To salt away a game after we have a good lead, we need a steady dose of 4-5 yards runs that keep the sticks and the clock moving, with an occasional play action pass to force defenses back and not let them cram the LOS.
I understand where you are coming from. My point was comparing the two at starter and Tua's skill set makes less sense to use when games are over. He's a passer, by trade, and CNS typically likes to speed the game up and let time expire when we get a lead and, I believe it's his nature not to run up the score.

We did it some last year with Tua in situations like that to give him game experience.

My point is when we have a big lead, if you take Tua out, Jalen is capable of running a more predictable offense, even if it's a series of drives that don't produced points and lead to punts.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I understand where you are coming from. My point was comparing the two at starter and Tua's skill set makes less sense to use when games are over. He's a passer, by trade, and CNS typically likes to speed the game up and let time expire when we get a lead and, I believe it's his nature not to run up the score.

We did it some last year with Tua in situations like that to give him game experience.

My point is when we have a big lead, if you take Tua out, Jalen is capable of running a more predictable offense, even if it's a series of drives that don't produced points and lead to punts.
It also gives Jalen opportunities to get better with game experience. Sure, it would be when the game is salted away. But game experience is still more valuable and productive than anything you can simulate in practice. Even mop up duty. I think all of Tua's experience during mop up duty went a long ways in allowing him to perform how he did in the title game.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
...although we'll continue to be primarily a running team...
Lots of stud RB's. I have to agree and it probably would bode well for the O-Line early. Pass protection was iffy at times last year.

I wonder if Locksley being with the receivers last year will make him want to lean more toward the passing game though? Lots of studs there too.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Lots of stud RB's. I have to agree and it probably would bode well for the O-Line early. Pass protection was iffy at times last year.

I wonder if Locksley being with the receivers last year will make him want to lean more toward the passing game though? Lots of studs there too.
I think whether we are run heavy, pass heavy or somewhere in between will be dictated by the circumstances of that particular game and the strengths and weaknesses of the defense we're going up against. The most important thing is we have the ability to be equally good at both. I could easily see us playing against teams who are hell bent on stopping the run and we are forced to throw them out of it. That could take the better part of 15-25 plays to do that. A pass to run ratio of 3:1 or heck even 4:1 could be very realistic until the defense adjusted. Or go the other way and teams are hell bent on not letting Tua pick them apart. Okay, fine. We'll just line up in what appears to be passing formations and turn and hand it to our stud RB's and break off 4-7 yards a pop until you adjust. We have a TON of options with a quarterback like Tua behind center.

Last edited:

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I think whether we are run heavy, pass heavy or somewhere in between will be dictated by the circumstances of that particular game and the strengths and weaknesses of the defense we're going up against. The most important thing is we have the ability to be equally as good at both. I could easily see us playing against teams who are hell bent on stopping the run and we are forced to throw them out of it. That could take the better part of 15-25 plays to do that. A pass to run ratio of 3:1 or heck even 4:1 could be very realistic until the defense adjusted. Or go the other way and teams are hell bent on not letting Tua pick them apart. Okay, fine. We'll just line up in what appears to be passing formations and turn and hand it to our stud RB's and break off 4-7 yards a pop until you adjust. We have a TON of options with a quarterback like Tua behind center.
Are you just trying to make the off-season longer or what? :biggrin:

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Very good assessment , spot on. I think Tua gets the nod as starter. CNS wants improvement in the passing game and he shall have it. I don't think Jalen can improve that much over the time off to win the battle.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think whether we are run heavy, pass heavy or somewhere in between will be dictated by the circumstances of that particular game and the strengths and weaknesses of the defense we're going up against. The most important thing is we have the ability to be equally good at both. I could easily see us playing against teams who are hell bent on stopping the run and we are forced to throw them out of it. That could take the better part of 15-25 plays to do that. A pass to run ratio of 3:1 or heck even 4:1 could be very realistic until the defense adjusted. Or go the other way and teams are hell bent on not letting Tua pick them apart. Okay, fine. We'll just line up in what appears to be passing formations and turn and hand it to our stud RB's and break off 4-7 yards a pop until you adjust. We have a TON of options with a quarterback like Tua behind center.
I think you're right, Buzz. And I think Tua is the one who gives us the option of being 3:1 pass, if that's what the defense is giving. Asking Jalen to do that is kind of like asking me to dunk a basketball -- isn't going to happen.

No matter how much coaching and practice I get, I'm never going to dunk. And no matter how much coaching an practice Jalen gets, I just don't think he'll ever pass well enough, consistently enough, to force good defenses out of 8-10 men in the box.

Tua will make more turnovers. But he'll also make a lot more plays. He won't be as accomplished as a runner -- but what QB would be?

Tua's still a good runner, and can lower his shoulder when absolutely necessary. No inside information, but I think he won the team on a run. That 3rd and 7 (8?) where he went right, saw he was going to get stuffed, reversed his field, broke a tackle or two, and bulldozed for the final 3-4 feet for a crucial first down.

But to your original point, Tua gives us the option to force teams out of a stacked box. Jalen simply doesn't, and every team in college football knows it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That is not what i'm suggesting. I'm saying look back to the regular season. and the QB position is not settled.
"the QB position is not settled." In what sense are you suggesting it's still "up in the air?"

I realize CNS hasn't officially declared Tua the starter and if that's what your referring to then I guess is still not settled.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

completely understand - my only thought is that Tua can hand the ball off just as well as Jalen can, so you leave him in. Then, if the defense starts stacking the box, Tua can hit 5-7 yard slants, curls and outs to back the defenders out of the box or at least keep them honest in defending a larger portion of the field and keep the running game more open. If Jalen gets to where he can hit those throws, let him come in to run clock, but if not, it stays Tua time.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
"the QB position is not settled." In what sense are you suggesting it's still "up in the air?"

I realize CNS hasn't officially declared Tua the starter and if that's what your referring to then I guess is still not settled.
It's not settled just because Tua won the game.... Jalen is going to be given every chance to win his starting job back... If one assume Tua won the job based on the last play of the game.... then that's not accurate. New coaches, new OC... It's going to last into the fall.. maybe 1st or 2nd game before we know for sure.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
It's not settled just because Tua won the game.... Jalen is going to be given every chance to win his starting job back... If one assume Tua won the job based on the last play of the game.... then that's not accurate. New coaches, new OC... It's going to last into the fall.. maybe 1st or 2nd game before we know for sure.
I would be extremely disappointed if this occurs. To me, this has little to do with the NCG..It was obvious all season that we had a one dimensional QB that no one respected as a passer.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Tagovailoa didn't prove only in the title game that he was better than Hurts. He proved it all year long but a lot of folks said things like "yeah, but the team was already beaten, so there was no pressure". The wide receivers knew he was better. The offensive coordinator knew he was better. Alabama was the beaten team in the title game till Tagovailoa came on and won the game. It looked like an entirely other team in the 2nd half. The "competition" may last into the fall, but if so, it's a pretty good bet that Tua Tagovailoa won't be here if that's the case and I wouldn't blame him a bit. He was told when he was recruited that the best player would play. That wasn't the case at the end of the year. I don't think he'll take the word for it again.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I fully expect Tua to be the starter for the Louisville game. I think he will be given the chance to show he can lead the team to another win. I think the only way Jalen could win the job back would be if Tua plays poorly against Louisville.

TheTideRolls

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 31, 2015
Jalen needs to pickup ArDarius’s axe if he wants to play another position. He doesn’t seem to be very aggressive.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think we were totally out of the championship game because Georgia had completely taken momentum into the half. Starting Tua in the second half was seen as a bold move by CNS but I think he had no choice to win that game. We know coach hates to lose.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Tagovailoa didn't prove only in the title game that he was better than Hurts. He proved it all year long but a lot of folks said things like "yeah, but the team was already beaten, so there was no pressure". The wide receivers knew he was better. The offensive coordinator knew he was better. Alabama was the beaten team in the title game till Tagovailoa came on and won the game. It looked like an entirely other team in the 2nd half. The "competition" may last into the fall, but if so, it's a pretty good bet that Tua Tagovailoa won't be here if that's the case and I wouldn't blame him a bit. He was told when he was recruited that the best player would play. That wasn't the case at the end of the year. I don't think he'll take the word for it again.
I have never been one who thinks quitting is an answer but in a case like this I agree with you. I can't remember names or teams but over the years I have seen QB's hobble and limp around and still stay in then game. Bama has done it before, ,Stalling, Curry, Dubose or Fran I can't remember. I am talking about really limping, limping so badly they can't run. I am talking about early in the third Quarter then the game is still in doubt.

Each time I saw that I would say "if a crippled player is better than I am on the bench -- then I would quit as soon as the game is over. Talk about an insult. Playing a limping QB instead of sending in the backup. This is the same thing. If I don't start the first game after seeing us lose to Auburn and then seeing losing to Georgia ..... yeah, I would be gone.

Jalen OTOH just plain got outplayed. I don't recommend he quit. I understand he wants to start and I won't hold it against him if he does transfer.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.