Alabama QB competition article - Page 53
Page 53 of 314 FirstFirst ... 34346474849505152535455565758596063103153 ... LastLast
Results 677 to 689 of 4079
  1. #677
    BamaNation First Team The Ols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cumming,Ga.
    Posts
    868

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Their spring game sure backed that up! on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Apparently it doesn't matter who our QB is because Clemson has the 4 greatest QBs of all time on their roster.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #678
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    19,830

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    Their spring game sure backed that up! on TideFans.com
    Lawrence looked ready to play right now. Bryant needs to transfer or change positions. He looked terrible.

  4. #679
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,378

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Lawrence looked ready to play right now. Bryant needs to transfer or change positions. He looked terrible.
    I missed parts of it but from what I saw I agree. Lawrence definitely has a cannon for an arm though it looks like he needs to work on his touch some. Hunter Johnson looked pretty good from what I saw too. I'd be pretty shocked if Bryant starts this season.
    Last edited by RollTide_HTTR; April 16th, 2018 at 12:15 PM.

  5. #680
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    10,798

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by bama579 View Post
    Not much doubt that Tua is the better passer. There is lots more to success at than passing . .

    I'm in the hope for Tua camp, but see your statement in bold as assuming far too much.
    We have 2 years worth of evidence that Jalen wins the easy games and doesn't perform well against teams that can neutralize his running skills. When those teams force us to pass we don't make first downs, don't score as many points and we struggle to win (go watch the Washington and Clemson games in 2016).

    I'm not basing my assumption that Tua starts on his second half performance against Georgia alone (although if that's all we had to gone on, it's good enough). I've thought Tua was a better passer (throwing ability alone) since the first pass we saw him throw last year during his A-day performance (remember how Kirk Herbstreit was drooling over him???). Of course, we also saw how our first team neutralized him in the second half of that game and so we knew he wasn't ready right then. But last fall, over the course of the year, we saw him growing and doing the other things great QB's do. After I saw "the play" against Vandy, I knew he had something Jalen didn't (and most other qbs don't). And then when he outplayed Jalen against UT (although he had the one, freak INT that got returned), I was convinced he had pretty much passed Jalen all around.

    And then Georgia happened and the whole world now knows.

  6. #681
    FB Moderator Bamabuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Posts
    23,597

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    This was the "struck down on the road to Damascus" moment for me as well. After watching him in that game, I was of the opinion that you can't keep this type talent on the sidelines long. You have to find a way to play him. I'm certain if asked, Gary Danielson would point to the Vandy game as well. Especially seeing how he basically had to go clean himself after the game from fawning all over Tua. I'll never forget when he turned loose of that ball where he was spun around and hit the receiver in the back of the endzone. Danielson's "standing in awe" reaction. Unreal.



    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    We have 2 years worth of evidence that Jalen wins the easy games and doesn't perform well against teams that can neutralize his running skills. When those teams force us to pass we don't make first downs, don't score as many points and we struggle to win (go watch the Washington and Clemson games in 2016).

    I'm not basing my assumption that Tua starts on his second half performance against Georgia alone (although if that's all we had to gone on, it's good enough). I've thought Tua was a better passer (throwing ability alone) since the first pass we saw him throw last year during his A-day performance (remember how Kirk Herbstreit was drooling over him???). Of course, we also saw how our first team neutralized him in the second half of that game and so we knew he wasn't ready right then. But last fall, over the course of the year, we saw him growing and doing the other things great QB's do. After I saw "the play" against Vandy, I knew he had something Jalen didn't (and most other qbs don't). And then when he outplayed Jalen against UT (although he had the one, freak INT that got returned), I was convinced he had pretty much passed Jalen all around.

    And then Georgia happened and the whole world now knows.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

    "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

    "If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

  7. #682
    BamaNation Hall of Fame KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,231

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    (go watch the Washington and Clemson games in 2016).
    While there are truth to the general sentiments you expressed... those are not really the best examples of it.

    Kiffin was calling some plays that were not really plays basically. So to be like hey look at how bad Hurts did when he was trying to run a gibberish play isn't really the best way to evaluate the situation. Furthermore the Clemson game was had issues with playcalling to, there were timing issues (can't really blame Sark either, one week prep time isn't sufficient to get play calling down) and Clemson figuring out some plays beforehand. Not many people would do well under either of those circumstances.

    Don't get me wrong, there's truth to the idea that Hurts struggled to pass against better defenses, but there are also examples of situations he was thrust into that even Tua would have had some major issues with. Truth is I think part of his over-reliance on himself and risk aversion was a product of being placed in almost impossible situations like that. When you have a guy tell you to run a not-play, what the heck else are you going to do but wing it and try to make something happen on your own?
    Last edited by KrAzY3; April 16th, 2018 at 03:17 PM.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

  8. #683
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Chukker or Archibalds
    Posts
    4,718

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Apparently it doesn't matter who our QB is because Clemson has the 4 greatest QBs of all time on their roster.
    How can that be when at least one is in both Awbarn and Athens, GA ?

  9. #684
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,378

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    While there are truth to the general sentiments you expressed... those are not really the best examples of it.

    Kiffin was calling some plays that were not really plays basically. So to be like hey look at how bad Hurts did when he was trying to run a gibberish play isn't really the best way to evaluate the situation. Furthermore the Clemson game was had issues with playcalling to, there were timing issues (can't really blame Sark either, one week prep time isn't sufficient to get play calling down) and Clemson figuring out some plays beforehand. Not many people would do well under either of those circumstances.

    Don't get me wrong, there's truth to the idea that Hurts struggled to pass against better defenses, but there are also examples of situations he was thrust into that even Tua would have had some major issues with. Truth is I think part of his over-reliance on himself and risk aversion was a product of being placed in almost impossible situations like that. When you have a guy tell you to run a not-play, what the heck else are you going to do but wing it and try to make something happen on your own?
    The LSU game that year might be a better example.

  10. #685
    FB Moderator Bamabuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Posts
    23,597

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    The LSU game that year might be a better example.
    I believe that was THE game which teams there after used as a blue print to pigeon hole Jalen. LSU kept both DE's wide, kept him from breaking containment and running. Forced him to either read the defense and pass or run back toward the middle. Exposed Jalen's weaknesses.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

    "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

    "If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

  11. #686
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    10,798

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    The LSU game that year might be a better example.
    Probably...or this past year against A&M, UT (we looked bad against them offensively in the first half) and Auburn and even Clemson (our defense pretty much won that game).

  12. #687
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Spring Hill, Tn
    Posts
    599

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    I am a big fan of all our players, but anybody could see Jalen was struggling. Just like in baseball (pitching), film teaches tendencies and Jalen's are now common knowledge. Tua's are a little harder to predict because of that lightning release. That SHOULD benefit the running backs in several ways. Gotta say though...that I would be pleased to see Jalen light it up. Both seem like outstanding young fellows who will succeed no matter what they do in life. 2 winners.

  13. #688
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    10,798

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenntiderman View Post
    Gotta say though...that I would be pleased to see Jalen light it up. Both seem like outstanding young fellows who will succeed no matter what they do in life. 2 winners.
    No doubt about it. Unfortunatley, sometimes when a debate about two players is going on it sounds personal. I'm sure sometimes it is, but it shouldn't be.

    I can only speak for myself, but I think Jalen is one classy, upstanding young man who has handled this whole experience from starting his first two years to being a cheerleader for Tua as good as I've ever seen from a player who probably knows he is getting passed by.

  14. #689
    BamaNation First Team The Ols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cumming,Ga.
    Posts
    868

    Re: Alabama QB competition article

    I agree. I also seem to remember Jalen appearing almost "relieved" on the sideline during the NCG when Tua took over. We are incredibly blessed to have these two remarkable young student/athletes, but I think that Tua gives us a better chance @ 18 in '18!...and Jalen's expression on the sideline was my "....road to Damascus" moment. RTR!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    No doubt about it. Unfortunatley, sometimes when a debate about two players is going on it sounds personal. I'm sure sometimes it is, but it shouldn't be.

    I can only speak for myself, but I think Jalen is one classy, upstanding young man who has handled this whole experience from starting his first two years to being a cheerleader for Tua as good as I've ever seen from a player who probably knows he is getting passed by.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!