Pro:
    Different skill sets for opposing D to prepare for
    Keep QB fresh
    Use it like a Wildcat package with one of them
    Nobody transfers (maybe)

Con:
    Reps for the "starting" QB
    Division on team
    One is a lefty the other isn't. Receivers get two different spins, and that is important. Protections are different.
    Speed of delivery is different for receivers. Also throws them off.

Probably a lot more, but just a few off the top of my head. I fall on the con side myself.

2. Advertisement

Re: Alabama QB competition article

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Monroe View Post
    2 QB system:

Pro:
    Keep QB fresh
    Nobody transfers (maybe)

Con:
    Division on team
    One is a lefty the other isn't. Receivers get two different spins, and that is important. Protections are different.

Probably a lot more, but just a few off the top of my head. I fall on the con side myself.
    I think division on the team is the big one you mentioned. For a 2 QB system to work Saban would need to convince the team to buy into the idea and I'm not sure he could. Last season we had Foster and Ridley frustrated with Jalen and it could be the same with the WR's we have now. Looking at the receivers we have next season they are all guys in the 2017 class with Tua. I think guys that come to a school at the same time are going to have a bond with each other that they don't have with someone from another class, so perhaps these WR's will be even more adamant about Tua being the QB.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I see very little value in having a 2 QB system unless you've got Joe Willy and the Snake on the sideline.

If we are deciding between Tua and Jalen it's much easier IMO.

Remember how effective we were in 2012? I think if we settle on Tua and just run a similar style we'll be just as dominate...maybe even more so with Tua's legs being better than AJ's.

BamaNation All-SEC

Anyone in favor of a 2 QB system must have forgotten the Zow/Watts debacle. I know, we have used two in some of Bear's systems, and other teams have used two more recently. But all I can think of is Zow/Watts.

BamaNation First Team

Speaking of Zow and Watts, though their strengths were different, they were fairly equal in talent and ability to "matriculate the ball down the field". With the risk of offending some fans, Tagovailoa is wayy better than Hurts, and better than Zow and Watts too, for that matter.
    Last edited by Crimson White; February 28th, 2018 at 04:39 PM.

BamaNation All-American

how could a 2 QB system possibly help us in games other than Mercer or Vandy? also, i wouldnt be as concerned about batted balls with Tua. His release is higher than Jalen and that will help prevent some.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Monroe View Post
    2 QB system:

Pro:
    Keep QB fresh
    Nobody transfers (maybe)

Con:
    Division on team

Good list, but IMO the primary "Con:" in the Tua/Jalen scenario is that you leave the far superior QB on the bench when the other one is in. You can also lose rhythm by swapping them. You can also be seduced to reconsider your choice (unlikely) or incite the pro Jalen forces, if Tua has a mediocre game and Jalen gets hot and goes 8-8 in that same game - it could easily happen.

BamaNation First Team Wilson Monroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    Good list, but IMO the primary "Con:" in the Tua/Jalen scenario is that you leave the far superior QB on the bench when the other one is in. You can also lose rhythm by swapping them. You can also be seduced to reconsider your choice (unlikely) or incite the pro Jalen forces, if Tua has a mediocre game and Jalen gets hot and goes 8-8 in that same game - it could easily happen.

Yes. A blip game could be a big division issue. Jalen didn't have a long leash with us fans before half were calling for Tua, so it could just as easily flip back the other way.

I still think one of the bigger issues would be protections. It occurred to me that there will be a good bit of movement along the O-Line this year. Guys knowing (tendencies) where a QB will be when a play breaks down is pretty important for keeping drives alive. Getting the right protection called at the line (new center) will be enough, but knowing which QB is in and how to re-route a D-lineman to give them the most time to make a throw is a feel thing. That's a lot for a retooled O-Line early in the season.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I don't see the backup having a significant role in each game. Since this thread is already assuming Jalen will be the backup. I simply don't see Saban trying to balance chemistry of the team and the rhythm of game by having these guys both play significant snaps each game. I'll give my prediction that the starter will get the lions share of the first string practice snaps and the lion's share of the snaps during the competitive parts of the game. I could see from time to time Jalen coming in for a snap or two when the game is still competitive. Then re-entering as the full time quarterback during garbage time. But there's just too much that could go wrong by running a two QB system.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Not saying we'll deploy 2 QBs system.. but we've done that during the 2017 season. Jalen would play 1st half, and Tua would play rest of the game. We did that a lot throughout the season. I suspect we'll see the same this fall, only Tua starts this time. Battle will not be settled for a while...
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I don't see the backup having a significant role in each game. Since this thread is already assuming Jalen will be the backup. I simply don't see Saban trying to balance chemistry of the team and the rhythm of game by having these guys both play significant snaps each game. I'll give my prediction that the starter will get the lions share of the first string practice snaps and the lion's share of the snaps during the competitive parts of the game. I could see from time to time Jalen coming in for a snap or two when the game is still competitive. Then re-entering as the full time quarterback during garbage time. But there's just too much that could go wrong by running a two QB system.
    Agreed that this seems the most likely. I think the right system could work but I don't think its necessary by any means. Our offense should be deadly enough with the talent Tua will have surrounding him.

Personally, I hope we have some clear sign by the end of the A-day game that this is Tua's team even if Saban doesn't name him the starter outright.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Not saying we'll deploy 2 QBs system.. but we've done that during the 2017 season. Jalen would play 1st half, and Tua would play rest of the game. We did that a lot throughout the season. I suspect we'll see the same this fall, only Tua starts this time. Battle will not be settled for a while...
    If you are going to use NC game to go on, I don't see how you see a QB battle not being settled...practically speaking. I mean, that's not a two QB system for success.

I seriosly doubt we'd see a similar scenario in a big game where Tua started and Jalen was called on to come in and save the game.

However, considering the regular season, just reverse the roles from last year and that's how I think this year looks. And it really suits their strengths if you think about it. Tua's the type of QB who should help us get out to quicker leads and Jalen's best suited for salting games away with time consuming running drives.

I wouldn't really call what we used last year as a two qb system. Tua came in when the lead was out of reach in some games but the purpose of using both quarterbacks in the regular season was to get Tua some experience and didn't really incorporate a design. I think you could say next year that if Tua gets the team out to a big lead then you'll see reps for Jalen to keep him fresh but using two quarterbacks when the game is out of reach is quite different than using a two qb system when the game is on the line and for strategic purposes. Though CNS may not publicly state who the starter is until late,I have no doubt personally that the starter will be settled rather quickly than latter.
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams