Alabama QB competition article

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

College Football Starting Quarterback Rankings for 2018

I can honestly say I was not expecting this ranking for Tua
I saw this on Twitter last night and spent about 5 minutes reading the comments in the thread. As we might expect, there was a lot of disbelief and negativity about Tua.

But everyone of the comments only focused on the "second half of one game." Very few acknowleded that this one half of football was in the most pressure packed situation that any backup could imagine.

But more importantly, not one negative nellie acknowledged (or probably even knew) that Tua had proved his talent in a lot of mop up rolls throughout the year. It's not like we Alabama fans doubted his talent, we just didn't know how he'd handle the pressure and spotlight of the moment on the biggest stage.

We know he passed with flying colors, but we also saw his amazing talent (and had good reason to believe he was a better QB than Jalen) long before the second half of the NC game.

Concerning the ranking, I'd prefer he not have the "bulls eye" painted on him at this point, but I've got a feeling he's going to redeem himself just fine.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

College Football Starting Quarterback Rankings for 2018

I can honestly say I was not expecting this ranking for Tua
Yah- this is the sort of rat poison that Nick Saban talks about.

Sure, Tua is talented but that's just a huge leap and an insult to a lot of other players, including Jalen who was still instrumental in guiding our team to a second straight NC. To have him ranked as the 2nd best QB in all of college football before he has even started is just too much.

Don't get me wrong, I think he could be the very best - but we have seen nowhere near enough from him to even put him on that list, IMHO.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I would absolutely love it if this was true, but I think he is jumping the gun quite a bit not only having Tua as the starter (with which I agree), but also at the position he does in the rankings.
I REALLY hope Tua is tuning all this noise out. God only knows how emotionally immature I was at his age. I just hope he's coping ok. Kid pulled off a comeback in the 2nd half of a nat'l championship game so maybe this is peanuts for him but it would wreck most normal teens.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I REALLY hope Tua is tuning all this noise out. God only knows how emotionally immature I was at his age. I just hope he's coping ok. Kid pulled off a comeback in the 2nd half of a nat'l championship game so maybe this is peanuts for him but it would wreck most normal teens.
Well, he used to it. He was a high school phenom. Won the elite 11. Got a Bama schollie. Won the NC game in 1 half.

But what he's got going for him more than that is two parents who seem to have grounded him very well AND CNS. CNS won't like this (what he calls rat poison), but he'll manage Tua's ego, if there's a problem at all.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yah- this is the sort of rat poison that Nick Saban talks about.

Sure, Tua is talented but that's just a huge leap and an insult to a lot of other players, including Jalen who was still instrumental in guiding our team to a second straight NC. To have him ranked as the 2nd best QB in all of college football before he has even started is just too much.

Don't get me wrong, I think he could be the very best - but we have seen nowhere near enough from him to even put him on that list, IMHO.
Agreed. I was hyping Tua pretty early on but this has become ridiculous. It's not like Tua was flawless in the NCG either. I think its a real possibility that Tua becomes something really special but at this point it is only one possibility of many.
Well, he used to it. He was a high school phenom. Won the elite 11. Got a Bama schollie. Won the NC game in 1 half.

But what he's got going for him more than that is two parents who seem to have grounded him very well AND CNS. CNS won't like this (what he calls rat poison), but he'll manage Tua's ego, if there's a problem at all.
True. This feels like a lot though. Between rankings like these and comments by Dilfer it's getting a little out of hand. I think some people just want to be the first one on the Tua train in case he does turn out to be RussellWilsonTimTebowBakerMayfieldDrewBrees.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
True. This feels like a lot though. Between rankings like these and comments by Dilfer it's getting a little out of hand. I think some people just want to be the first one on the Tua train in case he does turn out to be RussellWilsonTimTebowBakerMayfieldDrewBrees.
To be fair to Dilfer, he was all in on Tua before he ever took a snap for Alabama. When you watch him progress in the Elite 11 competition, you can see why. He learns so fast, takes criticism well, takes instruction well and doesn't make the same mistake twice. At the beginning of the Elite 11 competition he wasn't even a dark horse to win MVP. He won MVP because he progressed so much in that short span.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
To be fair to Dilfer, he was all in on Tua before he ever took a snap for Alabama. When you watch him progress in the Elite 11 competition, you can see why. He learns so fast, takes criticism well, takes instruction well and doesn't make the same mistake twice. At the beginning of the Elite 11 competition he wasn't even a dark horse to win MVP. He won MVP because he progressed so much in that short span.
True but his comments have been still way over the top. Though he is known to be that way.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
True but his comments have been still way over the top. Though he is known to be that way.
I think that Alabama fans are just worried about this kind of commentary acting as "rat poison". The reality - he is worthy of the praise. On a team like Alabama, he can do extraordinary things. That doesn't make him the best QB in college football, but Alabama doesn't need the best QB in college football to crush its opponents.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think that Alabama fans are just worried about this kind of commentary acting as "rat poison". The reality - he is worthy of the praise. On a team like Alabama, he can do extraordinary things. That doesn't make him the best QB in college football, but Alabama doesn't need the best QB in college football to crush its opponents.
He's worthy of excitement. He's not worthy of being ranked the #2 QB in CFB or saying he will go undefeated in his college career.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He's worthy of excitement. He's not worthy of being ranked the #2 QB in CFB or saying he will go undefeated in his college career.
I agree about the #2 ranking - that is crazy. But the rest is a result of him playing for Alabama - the most talented team with the best coaches in college football. Alabama with a QB like Tua has to be a very scary thing for other tams to consider. But put Tua on Fresno State and no one would expect undefeated seasons.

It is the combination of the two that has people (me included) hoping for the impossible.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree about the #2 ranking - that is crazy. But the rest is a result of him playing for Alabama - the most talented team with the best coaches in college football. Alabama with a QB like Tua has to be a very scary thing for other tams to consider. But put Tua on Fresno State and no one would expect undefeated seasons.

It is the combination of the two that has people (me included) hoping for the impossible.
Yea I agree with that and I think hoping for it is fair game. I just don't think it helps any for analysts to say things like that. IMO its fair game for fans but off limits for media types to hype a player up that much.

Don't get me wrong though. Personally, I'm hoping we go undefeated the next two years and with Tua, Judy, Smith, Ruggs, & Najee it doesn't seem quite as outlandish as it normally would.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I get the concern. But I think sometimes we are so cautiously optimistic that we can't see some things clearly.

In no way am I saying that I believe Tua is the second best QB in the country. He may be, but not because of this ranking and I don't think there's really a way to figure that out with all respect to other QBs. At the end of the season, this would be better and clearer.

But, like B1G said, there is no doubting he's ultra talented and when we combine that talent with the rest of the offensive talent at Bama, Tua won't have to throw for 400 yards and 4 or 5 TDs a game to really be considered elite. As a matter of fact, if it goes like it did with AJ, he'll be doubted to some extent because of the type of offense he'll play in.

Let's just remember there was more to Tua's sudden "15 minutes of fame" than one famous throw. He led 4 scoring drives in 30 minutes of action and then the other two plays in OT speak for themselves. All this despite missing a signal and throwing a bad INT when we were down 20-7.

I'm probably known to be a Tua sunshine pumper, but I'm not going to try to start looking under every rock for something to be worried about.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Ranking all 130 starting quarterbacks is just wrong. These are college kids, to say one person is the worst starting QB in FBS is unfair and cruel. Limit the list to the top 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Ranking all 130 starting quarterbacks is just wrong. These are college kids, to say one person is the worst starting QB in FBS is unfair and cruel. Limit the list to the top 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. And then there's the point that they are probably having to "guess" who they think will start at some schools. Surely not all 130 schools have that clear of a depth chart.

Bama is case in point. Some belief Jalen might actually start against the Cards, with Tua coming in as relief and likely earning the starting position in the next game or two. That's quite possible, even thought I doubt that series of events.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There aren't 2 in the country I'd rather have.....I'll say that.
Right but I bet you Washington fans, Missouri fans, Oregon fans, Mississippi State fans, etc would say the same thing. Heck I would bet that there are a ton of Clemson fans who are just as excited about Lawrence and Georgia fans excited about Fromm/Fields, and even some Ohio State fans who are ecstatic about Haskins.

I am really high on Tua. I just think the media hype is a little too much and puts unfair expectations on Tua. I mean, he could go on to be the best Bama QB of all time and STILL not meet these expectations.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Right but I bet you Washington fans, Missouri fans, Oregon fans, Mississippi State fans, etc would say the same thing. Heck I would bet that there are a ton of Clemson fans who are just as excited about Lawrence and Georgia fans excited about Fromm/Fields, and even some Ohio State fans who are ecstatic about Haskins.

I am really high on Tua. I just think the media hype is a little too much and puts unfair expectations on Tua. I mean, he could go on to be the best Bama QB of all time and STILL not meet these expectations.
You are right - Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State all believe that they have several options at QB who could win them championships, and the players around them who can make it happen if things fall right. Those are the big 4 right now (with Alabama), set at more than QB for a while to come.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
His performance in the NC game was epic. He led Bama on 6 scoring drives in their last 8 possessions against one of the better Ds in the country (though were likely tired, with a weaker secondary), including the missed FG. He has much more than great physical tools: very well grounded, a very good mind and football mind, transcendent intangibles based on reality, poise, pocket presence, quick and accurate decisions, courage, accuracy, as well as arm strength, stout body, quick afoot and more. His only shortcomings are lack of height and top end speed. The speed is not really a problem; the height is more problematic but can be worked around and is less of a problem in college vs NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.