Alabama QB competition article - Page 7
Page 7 of 314 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141757107 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Alabama QB competition article

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    If you are going to use NC game to go on, I don't see how you see a QB battle not being settled...practically speaking. I mean, that's not a two QB system for success.

I seriosly doubt we'd see a similar scenario in a big game where Tua started and Jalen was called on to come in and save the game.

However, considering the regular season, just reverse the roles from last year and that's how I think this year looks. And it really suits their strengths if you think about it. Tua's the type of QB who should help us get out to quicker leads and Jalen's best suited for salting games away with time consuming running drives.
    Not so sure I agree with that. The offense with jalen was a bit boom or bust. in other words it seemed like either long runs, or getting stuffed and going 3 and out. Defenses knew they could stack the box, it's just every once and a while we'd break a long one. To salt away a game after we have a good lead, we need a steady dose of 4-5 yards runs that keep the sticks and the clock moving, with an occasional play action pass to force defenses back and not let them cram the LOS.

2. Advertisement

I try to listen very closely to every word Saban says when someone asks him about the QB situation and what I hear leads me to believe that there will not be a 2 QB system. I think he will choose one guy as the clear starter and the other as the backup. I wouldn't rule out Jalen trying a different position if he's OK with that. Jalen has appeared in two championship games now but failed to lead us to victory in either one. It's true that 2 years ago we can't pin the Clemson loss all on Jalen because there was plenty of blame to go around, but it was still a loss. So the goal at Alabama is to win a NC and looking at the stats Jalen is 0 for 2 and Tua is 1 for 1. That's a big factor in Tua's favor.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

If you are going to use NC game to go on, I don't see how you see a QB battle not being settled...practically speaking. I mean, that's not a two QB system for success.

I seriosly doubt we'd see a similar scenario in a big game where Tua started and Jalen was called on to come in and save the game.

However, considering the regular season, just reverse the roles from last year and that's how I think this year looks. And it really suits their strengths if you think about it. Tua's the type of QB who should help us get out to quicker leads and Jalen's best suited for salting games away with time consuming running drives.
    That is not what i'm suggesting. I'm saying look back to the regular season. and the QB position is not settled.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by PA Tide Fan View Post
    I try to listen very closely to every word Saban says when someone asks him about the QB situation and what I hear leads me to believe that there will not be a 2 QB system. I think he will choose one guy as the clear starter and the other as the backup. I wouldn't rule out Jalen trying a different position if he's OK with that. Jalen has appeared in two championship games now but failed to lead us to victory in either one. It's true that 2 years ago we can't pin the Clemson loss all on Jalen because there was plenty of blame to go around, but it was still a loss. So the goal at Alabama is to win a NC and looking at the stats Jalen is 0 for 2 and Tua is 1 for 1. That's a big factor in Tua's favor.
    Not taking into account a transfer by Jalen, I only see Saban allowing Jalen to change positions if another QB solidifies the backup position. This is still a team first sport and that even trickles down to the second string players. It may benefit Jalen better, on a personal level to change positions to get more playing time. But does it benefit the team? If we do not have a solid backup to plug in Jalen's spot then my guess is he's staying put at QB. That's not saying Saban won't listen to Jalen and give him an opportunity to make his case for changing positions. But if Jalen changing positions leaves us completely exposed and vulnerable at the backup QB position I doubt Saban would allow a position change.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by gtgilbert View Post
    Not so sure I agree with that. The offense with jalen was a bit boom or bust. in other words it seemed like either long runs, or getting stuffed and going 3 and out. Defenses knew they could stack the box, it's just every once and a while we'd break a long one. To salt away a game after we have a good lead, we need a steady dose of 4-5 yards runs that keep the sticks and the clock moving, with an occasional play action pass to force defenses back and not let them cram the LOS.
    It was almost like Saban got comfortable with that, after three years of Lane. I believe that the decision to insert Tua was made back at the end of the narrow escape in the MSU game, when a gritty and determined team dug in and committed to stopping the run at any cost and hope for a cold hand from Jalen. I do think we'll move in another direction, although we'll continue to be primarily a running team...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gtgilbert View Post
    I understand where you are coming from. My point was comparing the two at starter and Tua's skill set makes less sense to use when games are over. He's a passer, by trade, and CNS typically likes to speed the game up and let time expire when we get a lead and, I believe it's his nature not to run up the score.

We did it some last year with Tua in situations like that to give him game experience.

My point is when we have a big lead, if you take Tua out, Jalen is capable of running a more predictable offense, even if it's a series of drives that don't produced points and lead to punts.

I understand where you are coming from. My point was comparing the two at starter and Tua's skill set makes less sense to use when games are over. He's a passer, by trade, and CNS typically likes to speed the game up and let time expire when we get a lead and, I believe it's his nature not to run up the score.

We did it some last year with Tua in situations like that to give him game experience.

My point is when we have a big lead, if you take Tua out, Jalen is capable of running a more predictable offense, even if it's a series of drives that don't produced points and lead to punts.
    It also gives Jalen opportunities to get better with game experience. Sure, it would be when the game is salted away. But game experience is still more valuable and productive than anything you can simulate in practice. Even mop up duty. I think all of Tua's experience during mop up duty went a long ways in allowing him to perform how he did in the title game.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team Wilson Monroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    ...although we'll continue to be primarily a running team...
    Lots of stud RB's. I have to agree and it probably would bode well for the O-Line early. Pass protection was iffy at times last year.

I wonder if Locksley being with the receivers last year will make him want to lean more toward the passing game though? Lots of studs there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Monroe View Post
    Lots of stud RB's. I have to agree and it probably would bode well for the O-Line early. Pass protection was iffy at times last year.

I wonder if Locksley being with the receivers last year will make him want to lean more toward the passing game though? Lots of studs there too.
    I think whether we are run heavy, pass heavy or somewhere in between will be dictated by the circumstances of that particular game and the strengths and weaknesses of the defense we're going up against. The most important thing is we have the ability to be equally good at both. I could easily see us playing against teams who are hell bent on stopping the run and we are forced to throw them out of it. That could take the better part of 15-25 plays to do that. A pass to run ratio of 3:1 or heck even 4:1 could be very realistic until the defense adjusted. Or go the other way and teams are hell bent on not letting Tua pick them apart. Okay, fine. We'll just line up in what appears to be passing formations and turn and hand it to our stud RB's and break off 4-7 yards a pop until you adjust. We have a TON of options with a quarterback like Tua behind center.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; March 1st, 2018 at 12:23 PM.

BamaNation First Team Wilson Monroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I think whether we are run heavy, pass heavy or somewhere in between will be dictated by the circumstances of that particular game and the strengths and weaknesses of the defense we're going up against. The most important thing is we have the ability to be equally as good at both. I could easily see us playing against teams who are hell bent on stopping the run and we are forced to throw them out of it. That could take the better part of 15-25 plays to do that. A pass to run ratio of 3:1 or heck even 4:1 could be very realistic until the defense adjusted. Or go the other way and teams are hell bent on not letting Tua pick them apart. Okay, fine. We'll just line up in what appears to be passing formations and turn and hand it to our stud RB's and break off 4-7 yards a pop until you adjust. We have a TON of options with a quarterback like Tua behind center.
    Are you just trying to make the off-season longer or what?

Big A Re: Alabama QB competition article

Very good assessment , spot on. I think Tua gets the nod as starter. CNS wants improvement in the passing game and he shall have it. I don't think Jalen can improve that much over the time off to win the battle.
    " I THOUGHT THIS MUST BE WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE."

GEORGE BLANDA
    in talking about Coach Paul Bryant

Alabama is 2- and 3-deep all over the place with full grown, meaner-than-he!! men. It's almost not fair making college kids play against them. Any Saban-coached team is going to be deep as he!! with recruits that have elite size, strength and experience at their position and they are going to play with incredible physicality.

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I think whether we are run heavy, pass heavy or somewhere in between will be dictated by the circumstances of that particular game and the strengths and weaknesses of the defense we're going up against. The most important thing is we have the ability to be equally good at both. I could easily see us playing against teams who are hell bent on stopping the run and we are forced to throw them out of it. That could take the better part of 15-25 plays to do that. A pass to run ratio of 3:1 or heck even 4:1 could be very realistic until the defense adjusted. Or go the other way and teams are hell bent on not letting Tua pick them apart. Okay, fine. We'll just line up in what appears to be passing formations and turn and hand it to our stud RB's and break off 4-7 yards a pop until you adjust. We have a TON of options with a quarterback like Tua behind center.
    I think you're right, Buzz. And I think Tua is the one who gives us the option of being 3:1 pass, if that's what the defense is giving. Asking Jalen to do that is kind of like asking me to dunk a basketball -- isn't going to happen.

No matter how much coaching and practice I get, I'm never going to dunk. And no matter how much coaching an practice Jalen gets, I just don't think he'll ever pass well enough, consistently enough, to force good defenses out of 8-10 men in the box.

Tua will make more turnovers. But he'll also make a lot more plays. He won't be as accomplished as a runner -- but what QB would be?

Tua's still a good runner, and can lower his shoulder when absolutely necessary. No inside information, but I think he won the team on a run. That 3rd and 7 (8?) where he went right, saw he was going to get stuffed, reversed his field, broke a tackle or two, and bulldozed for the final 3-4 feet for a crucial first down.

But to your original point, Tua gives us the option to force teams out of a stacked box. Jalen simply doesn't, and every team in college football knows it.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    That is not what i'm suggesting. I'm saying look back to the regular season. and the QB position is not settled.
    "the QB position is not settled." In what sense are you suggesting it's still "up in the air?"

I realize CNS hasn't officially declared Tua the starter and if that's what your referring to then I guess is still not settled.