Alabama QB competition article - Page 8
Page 8 of 314 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858108 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: Alabama QB competition article

If the oft repeated mantra of "the best player will play" is true, then the qb competition is over.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I understand where you are coming from. My point was comparing the two at starter and Tua's skill set makes less sense to use when games are over. He's a passer, by trade, and CNS typically likes to speed the game up and let time expire when we get a lead and, I believe it's his nature not to run up the score.

We did it some last year with Tua in situations like that to give him game experience.

My point is when we have a big lead, if you take Tua out, Jalen is capable of running a more predictable offense, even if it's a series of drives that don't produced points and lead to punts.
    completely understand - my only thought is that Tua can hand the ball off just as well as Jalen can, so you leave him in. Then, if the defense starts stacking the box, Tua can hit 5-7 yard slants, curls and outs to back the defenders out of the box or at least keep them honest in defending a larger portion of the field and keep the running game more open. If Jalen gets to where he can hit those throws, let him come in to run clock, but if not, it stays Tua time.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    "the QB position is not settled." In what sense are you suggesting it's still "up in the air?"

I realize CNS hasn't officially declared Tua the starter and if that's what your referring to then I guess is still not settled.
    It's not settled just because Tua won the game.... Jalen is going to be given every chance to win his starting job back... If one assume Tua won the job based on the last play of the game.... then that's not accurate. New coaches, new OC... It's going to last into the fall.. maybe 1st or 2nd game before we know for sure.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-SEC alwayshavebeen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    It's not settled just because Tua won the game.... Jalen is going to be given every chance to win his starting job back... If one assume Tua won the job based on the last play of the game.... then that's not accurate. New coaches, new OC... It's going to last into the fall.. maybe 1st or 2nd game before we know for sure.
    I would be extremely disappointed if this occurs. To me, this has little to do with the NCG..It was obvious all season that we had a one dimensional QB that no one respected as a passer.

BamaNation First Team

Tagovailoa didn't prove only in the title game that he was better than Hurts. He proved it all year long but a lot of folks said things like "yeah, but the team was already beaten, so there was no pressure". The wide receivers knew he was better. The offensive coordinator knew he was better. Alabama was the beaten team in the title game till Tagovailoa came on and won the game. It looked like an entirely other team in the 2nd half. The "competition" may last into the fall, but if so, it's a pretty good bet that Tua Tagovailoa won't be here if that's the case and I wouldn't blame him a bit. He was told when he was recruited that the best player would play. That wasn't the case at the end of the year. I don't think he'll take the word for it again.

I fully expect Tua to be the starter for the Louisville game. I think he will be given the chance to show he can lead the team to another win. I think the only way Jalen could win the job back would be if Tua plays poorly against Louisville.

BamaNation Third Team

Jalen needs to pickup ArDariusís axe if he wants to play another position. He doesnít seem to be very aggressive.

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

I think we were totally out of the championship game because Georgia had completely taken momentum into the half. Starting Tua in the second half was seen as a bold move by CNS but I think he had no choice to win that game. We know coach hates to lose.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson White View Post
    Tagovailoa didn't prove only in the title game that he was better than Hurts. He proved it all year long but a lot of folks said things like "yeah, but the team was already beaten, so there was no pressure". The wide receivers knew he was better. The offensive coordinator knew he was better. Alabama was the beaten team in the title game till Tagovailoa came on and won the game. It looked like an entirely other team in the 2nd half. The "competition" may last into the fall, but if so, it's a pretty good bet that Tua Tagovailoa won't be here if that's the case and I wouldn't blame him a bit. He was told when he was recruited that the best player would play. That wasn't the case at the end of the year. I don't think he'll take the word for it again.
    I have never been one who thinks quitting is an answer but in a case like this I agree with you. I can't remember names or teams but over the years I have seen QB's hobble and limp around and still stay in then game. Bama has done it before, ,Stalling, Curry, Dubose or Fran I can't remember. I am talking about really limping, limping so badly they can't run. I am talking about early in the third Quarter then the game is still in doubt.

Each time I saw that I would say "if a crippled player is better than I am on the bench -- then I would quit as soon as the game is over. Talk about an insult. Playing a limping QB instead of sending in the backup. This is the same thing. If I don't start the first game after seeing us lose to Auburn and then seeing losing to Georgia ..... yeah, I would be gone.

Jalen OTOH just plain got outplayed. I don't recommend he quit. I understand he wants to start and I won't hold it against him if he does transfer.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation First Team

Moreover, he's simply too good to sit on the bench while Hurts plays two more years, and then have only one year to play after Hurts eligibility. To have only one year to play would impact any contract he may sign with the NFL, and he's good enough to do that, regardless of his height. A guy has to look out after himself, because nobody else is going to do it.

That said, I think it's all a moot point, and Tagovailoa will be the starting qb at Alabama next season.
    Last edited by Crimson White; March 2nd, 2018 at 10:20 AM.

I mean, I understand what everyone is saying.. I hear people saying they fully expect Tua to be the starter and etc. All I'm doing is presenting the logical thinking and that Tua and Jalen will battle it out. I don't think it's fair to name Tua the starter over one game. Jalen got the team to the playoff. Tua won the championship game for the team. I feel both deserves a chance to compete and may the best man win. I will be shocked if Tua doesn't win the job by the first game. I think we will see improved Jalen this spring and it will be close battle.

All I'm saying is Saban isn't going to name a starter this early... or after spring camp. We all know that people perform well in Spring camp and then ends up struggle in the fall camp. Plus, How many times the fans have thought that certain players would end up winning starting job but didn't? Phillip Sims? Star Jackson? Jacob Coker in his first year? My point is simple.. Let it play out... Jalen may surprise us.. and maybe he won't.. but give that boy a chance to compete and let the domino falls where it may.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...oa-quarterback

He said both Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa welcome the competition as the defending national champion Crimson Tide prepare to start spring practice in two weeks."The most important thing is to play the best guy, and if both guys can play winning football, it's not out of the question that we'll find a role for both guys in fairness to both guys," Saban told ESPN on Friday. "I don't know that there's any more to it than that."
    Saban said he pulled Hurts aside after the championship game to reassure him that he would remain a very important part of the Alabama program regardless of how the quarterback situation shakes out. Hurts will be a junior in 2018.
    "I told him, 'We would have never gotten here without you, and even though it wasn't your time (in the championship game) and we needed Tua to give us a spark, that should not be anything but a learning experience for you in terms of what you have to do to be a more consistent player in the future,' " Saban recounted.

BamaNation First Team

As Finebaum said in the video about Saban "he'll drag this on as long as possible because he does not want to lose Jalen Hurts before the season...even begins"

Jalen Hurts has had two years to improve, and he hasn't, significantly. As previously noted, he still can't read the defense before or after the snap, he still has horrible pocket presence, he still can't check down to secondary receivers, he doesn't look off the dbs, he still can't consistently complete the intermediate and long ball, and there are statistics, even charts, that clearly show that. Tua Tagovailoa showed that he was better as a true freshman at all those things than Hurts is yet.

Sure, Hurts will have a good spring, just like last year, and then, if he were to be the starter (and Tua gone) when we play good defenses whose intent is to take off his head, he will struggle just like he has the entire time, and so the offense will struggle. He will, though, put up pretty numbers in the spring and against the sisters of the poor and the also rans. It's not a sin nor a crime to not be a really good quarterback at this level. It's just not conducive to winning the trophy, like the team did with Tagovailoa in January, but failed to do last year vs Clemson.
    Last edited by Crimson White; March 2nd, 2018 at 11:30 AM.