Alabama QB competition article

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I am an old fart and have watched football for YEARS, one thing I know for sure , nothing is for sure. I have seen a QB have as great year followed by a bad one. What a guy does this day means nothing tomorrow. NO ONE knows who will be the better QB this yr no one. Tua could light it up or stink it up. Same with Jalen, you just never know how a kid is going to react day to day. I think both will be really good at what they do best, but no way I think one is a lock. We have 2 yrs of Jalen we have a few games on Tua. Still there is no way to say one will be the better QB this yr until they actually play the actual games. Who knows how they both react to this competition.But I cannot wait to see how it all unfolds, hopefully it leads back to the playoffs.
True, anything can happen. But you stated an important piece of information that actually is telling about the situation. "We have two years on Jalen and a few games on Tua"...it's that reason alone that exemplifies the fact that we are where we're currently at in regards to the situation. We have indeed had two seasons to get an actual feel if how Jalen can run the offense. We have had a season of second halves for the most part to view Tua , along with view points brought to attention from the wide receiver core. In limited time Tua has averaged 1 TD per 6.5 pass attempts. I don't think the staff played Tua just for mop up time, I think they played him because they were getting him ready as well. . Sometimes what you haven't seen in two years is just as important as what you have seen in two years. RTR

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
Barring injury or a surprising regression on his part, Tua is the starter. There is no upside to Saban proclaiming that now, but it seems obvious. After two full seasons we know what Jalen's ceiling is, and while it is pretty good, Tua's is clearly higher. The only thing that is really in doubt is whether JH might transfer. While I couldn't fault him if he did, all signs presently are that he won't.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Yep...agreed , I was just reiterating the point that with all of the emphasis on Enos helping Hurts, he's going to be involved with all of the QBs and if Tua is already ahead in intangibles ....then it only seems natural that he'll improve that much more and that could be scary. :)
Actually, I think the hiring of Enos may be an indication we're going back to more of a balanced pro style offense, with some spread in the mix. It doesn't have to be all one or the other. Most of Enos' career he has been a pro style coordinator. Tua is obviously the better choice for a pro style offense, so that may be a good clue. Personally, I think Tua is also a better option with the RPO because he actually is a dual threat, but guess that's another topic.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Actually, I think the hiring of Enos may be an indication we're going back to more of a balanced pro style offense, with some spread in the mix. It doesn't have to be all one or the other. Most of Enos' career he has been a pro style coordinator. Tua is obviously the better choice for a pro style offense, so that may be a good clue. Personally, I think Tua is also a better option with the RPO because he actually is a dual threat, but guess that's another topic.
The qb recruits we were targeting were stating as much. They said they were being told that we were going to use more of a prostyle offense in an attempt to get the ball out quickly to playmakers

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I expect something closer to the 2014 offense than what we saw in 2015 through 2017. Mostly a pro-style offense but with some spread RPO elements. This is what the Eagles and Chiefs used to great effect in the NFL last season.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Anyone who really wants to know how the receivers felt needs to watch this entire Ridley interview...

LINK
And it is pretty clear that the problem in the WR room wasn't with him but the fact that his numbers were indicative of something else. The WR room in 2014 didn't seem to have problems with Cooper having even bigger numbers than Ridley's 2017 receptions and yards. In 2014, White and Jones were getting a fair share of touches. Christion Jones had more receptions as the 3WR in 2014 than our second leading receiver by receptions in 2017. Jones had the exact amount of yards as our second leading receiver by yards in 2017 too. DeAndrew White had 40 receptions and 500 yards. The 2017 offense was a pretty abysmal passing offense with Hurts on the field and I don't think all of it was on Hurts. Some of it was the playcalling because of Hurts...way too much QB run.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
People say that OJ Howard never got enough touches. His 2014 season would have been the third best receiver on this 2017 squad.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I expect something closer to the 2014 offense than what we saw in 2015 through 2017. Mostly a pro-style offense but with some spread RPO elements. This is what the Eagles and Chiefs used to great effect in the NFL last season.
It will be really interesting to see how the offense is called because if Tua is the Man at QB it will obviously make the passing game lethal. But you also have an incredibly talented offensive line that is literally three deep at every position and a group of running backs that goes five, maybe six, deep. The real threat of a passing attack could make this running game even more devastating because the box won't be crowded. I'm drooling at the thought of how good this offense might be.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
People say that OJ Howard never got enough touches. His 2014 season would have been the third best receiver on this 2017 squad.
Alabama has talented tight ends. Smith is very athletic and Hentges is overlooked. Enos proved at Arkansas that he was willing to get the tight ends involved heavily. Of course he had Hunter Henry and Jeremy Sprinkle.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It will be really interesting to see how the offense is called because if Tua is the Man at QB it will obviously make the passing game lethal. But you also have an incredibly talented offensive line that is literally three deep at every position and a group of running backs that goes five, maybe six, deep. The real threat of a passing attack could make this running game even more devastating because the box won't be crowded. I'm drooling at the thought of how good this offense might be.
Yes, all day long! This is the tactical advantage of playing Tua. His skills employ the talents of everyone on the field: oline, backs and obviously receivers.

Compare that to last year and our receivers didn't get utilized and our running backs shared touches with Jalen.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes, all day long! This is the tactical advantage of playing Tua. His skills employ the talents of everyone on the field: oline, backs and obviously receivers.

Compare that to last year and our receivers didn't get utilized and our running backs shared touches with Jalen.
I don't think we'll be going back to that offense, no matter what. If that dictates a change at QB, so be it. Personally, I think it does, no matter Saban's recent attempts to keep everything PC...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Yep, I'd be doing the same thing. Doing that doesn't mean Jalen doesn't have a chance to still be a quarterback in college, possibly even at Alabama. Though I'd say it is a long shot at Bama. But at least you're getting information on what Jalen may have to do if he has dreams of the NFL. Yeah, Tebow stubbornly Tor-"Tebow"-ed his NFL career.
Just getting ready to say this. JH reminds me sooooo much of Tebow. Skill set is great for some college schemes but will not translate into the NFL. If you cannot throw receivers open or “see” them open and throw where they will be you won’t succeed. It really is a 3-part skill set and unfortunately JH has ONE, and that’s arm strength. Tebow didn’t have any. My hope is that JH stays and will try to branch out because his athleticism and work ethic could get him to the NFL for sure. That said, I understand wanting to chase a dream that few have the chance to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The Saints run a very different type of offense to leverage Brees with his height restrictions. They throw to RBs more than any other team in the history of the game, and they create passing "lanes" in their blocking schemes to allow for his shorter passing routes. Long pass routes are not impacted by QB height since the ball comes out of the hand with a much higher trajectory.

The same can essentially be said for Wilson - very different offensive plays called to minimize his height restrictions.

Also, remember that several of Tua's best plays against GA were running plays. He converted several 3rd downs with his legs in that game. Do we really want to take that away just to make him into a "pocket passer"?
All pocket passers can run when needed. This is a telling stat from the article earlier:

“Comparatively, Tagovailoa's stats suggest a pass-first, run-second play style. Even with his dual-threat ability, he only ran on 16 percent of plays in which he was the featured player. He also eclipsed Hurts' completion percentage (63.6) and quarterback rating (175.0) while averaging 4.9 yards a carry.”

Even on RPOs he looks to pass first. We won’t abandoned designed runs but they will certainly be reduced a LOT more with TUa.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
You must be new here.

JJ was an almost Derrick Henry size player who played offense but everyone wanted him to move to linebacker to utilize his skill set.

No, it was just a joke. I just don't use blue font, sorry. I do appreciate you trying to hook me up with the info, though.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There is a better chance of Jimmy Johns playing linebacker than CNS using a two-QB system.

I think there is a very narrow way for the 2QB system to work and it is pretty much the 2006 Florida Gators template. We give the offense to Tua but in short yardage and other 100% run situations Hurts comes on the field. Unlike Tebow, he's a good deal more refined as a passer than Tebow in 2006. We could have the full offense at the disposal instead of just a heavy set with a QB runner and 2 or 3 play actions. People quickly forget just how many goal to go touchdowns Hurts has scored in the last two seasons. Tua is a good runner but Hurts has another gear for finding the corner and he's built like a tree trunk which makes going over the middle easier for him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.