Alabama QB competition article

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
JMHO, but I think it would be a huge risk to not start Tua against Louisville, especially considering the near revolt within the team last year. Some of the team really wanted to see Tua at QB, and they finally got their wish. To retreat from that has a high risk of back firing.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Basically. I just hope it doesn't take 4 games. At the very very least I hope we have named Tua starter by the A&M game.

I still think there is a shot Tua is the starter before the Louisville game or maybe by the end of that game. But that's just because I think there is a clear gap between Tua and Jalen.

The reason I think there is a shot Tua is starter before the game is because CNS has never been in this situation. The argument for a competition seems to be "that's how he has always done it" but that's what people said about starting Jalen and benching Jalen for Tua too. Saban had never done those things because he had never been in those situations not because he has one way of doing things. I realize I could be completely off though.
If you were Tua, after doing what he did in the NCG, and knowing how he performed in practices (according to reports), and it took Coach 4 games to decide, would you not be tempted to go ahead and make that decision easy on him by leaving yourself? I might do that in his shoes. You know what he can and can't do. You also know by now what Jalen can and can't do. If I am Tua, and you can't show me that you want me to be your QB, I go to someone who will want me in that spot (namely, any other team in college football). And to be frank, I would likely do the exact same thing if I were Jalen, but would have less options of places to go. Jalen's resume is all there. Saban has to know whether that is or is not what he wants out of that position. Playing the two against each other might work to our detriment.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If you were Tua, after doing what he did in the NCG, and knowing how he performed in practices (according to reports), and it took Coach 4 games to decide, would you not be tempted to go ahead and make that decision easy on him by leaving yourself? I might do that in his shoes. You know what he can and can't do. You also know by now what Jalen can and can't do. If I am Tua, and you can't show me that you want me to be your QB, I go to someone who will want me in that spot (namely, any other team in college football). And to be frank, I would likely do the exact same thing if I were Jalen, but would have less options of places to go. Jalen's resume is all there. Saban has to know whether that is or is not what he wants out of that position. Playing the two against each other might work to our detriment.
Don't think that will happen. Family didn't move down here just for him to transfer.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Didn't hurt us in the past.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It's not going to play out over the 1st 4 games.....that just won't happen.

If it's still a competition for that long I'll eat my 2017 NC Hat with a bottle of A1 sauce.

It's going to be over in early August. We won't ever hear that officially and a starter won't be named before the Louisville game. CNS isn't going to tip his hand.

If Tua doesn't start Game 1 I will be completely stunned. If it's not clear by game 2-3 that he's QB1..... again I'll eat a hat.

*Disclaimer* this is barring anything like an Injury situation.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Don't think that will happen. Family didn't move down here just for him to transfer.
Since Tua did talk about transferring if I was coach I wouldn't want to test him to see if he was bluffing. Tua and family probably thought it would be easier winning the starting job than it's turned out to be. If he doesn't start the opener it's like coach saying "I know you won us a championship Tua but I still don't trust you full time at QB." Obviously Tua and family would not be happy. It wouldn't matter if both guys would stay but in this situation a decision has to be made about which guy we want leading the team the next two seasons and which guy we're willing to give up. I don't think either player is willing to compromise.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It's not going to play out over the 1st 4 games.....that just won't happen.

If it's still a competition for that long I'll eat my 2017 NC Hat with a bottle of A1 sauce.

It's going to be over in early August. We won't ever hear that officially and a starter won't be named before the Louisville game. CNS isn't going to tip his hand.

If Tua doesn't start Game 1 I will be completely stunned. If it's not clear by game 2-3 that he's QB1..... again I'll eat a hat.

*Disclaimer* this is barring anything like an Injury situation.
Disagree: Saban will try and do it as long as he see fit. Look at his track record starting with AJ McCarron. Someone has to win the team over. Maybe it'll end in August.. maybe not.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Since Tua did talk about transferring if I was coach I wouldn't want to test him to see if he was bluffing. Tua and family probably thought it would be easier winning the starting job than it's turned out to be. If he doesn't start the opener it's like coach saying "I know you won us a championship Tua but I still don't trust you full time at QB." Obviously Tua and family would not be happy. It wouldn't matter if both guys would stay but in this situation a decision has to be made about which guy we want leading the team the next two seasons and which guy we're willing to give up. I don't think either player is willing to compromise.
Kinda wanted to touch on that alittle. That transfer interview was taken out of context. That was already explained. Several Bama players over the years thought about transferring from Alabama, but didn't. Henry, Evans, and others. I don't see nothing in which Tua's situation was different from others. 2. Last year, It was known Tua was turning over the ball in the practices and got better throughout the year. Tua has to show that he has improved a lot on ball security and better decision making and he has a chance to do that in the fall. Saban doesn't promise players that they will start. he promised them competition and that's what Tua will get.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Kinda wanted to touch on that alittle. That transfer interview was taken out of context. That was already explained. Several Bama players over the years thought about transferring from Alabama, but didn't. Henry, Evans, and others. I don't see nothing in which Tua's situation was different from others. 2. Last year, It was known Tua was turning over the ball in the practices and got better throughout the year. Tua has to show that he has improved a lot on ball security and better decision making and he has a chance to do that in the fall. Saban doesn't promise players that they will start. he promised them competition and that's what Tua will get.
Is this true? I had hear people mention he may turn the ball over more than Jalen but did he turn it over a lot in practice?

It also sounded like he was really shining leading up to the playoffs in practice IIRC.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Disagree: Saban will try and do it as long as he see fit. Look at his track record starting with AJ McCarron. Someone has to win the team over. Maybe it'll end in August.. maybe not.
I no longer remember who Jake Coker was competing against, but CNS let that competition go until the Ole Miss game to decide who would be the starter for the season.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I no longer remember who Jake Coker was competing against, but CNS let that competition go until the Ole Miss game to decide who would be the starter for the season.
Blake Sims his first year, which he lost despite being favorite of a good chunk of the fan vote. Second year he competed with Cooper Bateman, Alec Morris, and David Cornwell. Jake won after it dragged out to the start of the season, but then was pulled when he started performing less than admirably.

Funny thing is, him getting pulled for CB in the Ole Miss game and then reinserted in hindsight seemed to be what galvanized the team in winning a championship. I'm pretty sure if Tua were benched for Jalen (let's say in the A&M game) and we lost, this board and every other might actually crash from our fan base collectively losing their minds.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is competition isn't really all that similar to any previous one under CNS. I also find it interesting that Kirk Herbstreit seems convinced Tua is the guy. I don't think that his him simply assuming Tua will win the job based on his own opinion of Tua's abilities. Remember Saban's A-Day comment?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Tua has already won the team and coaches over. The players' unfortunate obvious on-field discontent w/Jalen's passing and run distribution, which we know is only a tip of the iceberg, to the obvious infusion of energy to both the O and D upon Tua's game entrance coupled with his performance only confirmed what they thought - he gives them the best chance to win. The coaches including CNS know, but how can they say it at this point? Frankly, it was a relief to Jalen when he was lifted - though he's not going to give up, nor should he.

But because of the way Spring worked out with the injury, he may not be the starter coming into Aug. But unless he has fallen apart or hasn't recovered from the injury, he should quickly reestablish his superiority. CNS's desire to reemphasize the pro-style approach, without totally abandoning RPOs, the hiring of Dan Enos, CNS's constant, from CMA forward, desire to throw the ball downfield, to the obvious benefit Tua is to the running game, to CNS's stated desire for the QB to be a point guard/ball distributor, to the last 5 pass-first type QBs Bama has recruited from Tua, MJ, Tulia, Tyson, Hatcher, all scream that Tua will be the starter soon. CNS is understandably and IMO rightly giving his 26-2 starter who is a great kid, great competitor and hard worker, he is giving him every opportunity to make his case. But it looks like he has no chance unless Tua has imploded, which is more unlikely than Mt. St. Helens erupting before the first game.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This is competition isn't really all that similar to any previous one under CNS. I also find it interesting that Kirk Herbstreit seems convinced Tua is the guy. I don't think that his him simply assuming Tua will win the job based on his own opinion of Tua's abilities. Remember Saban's A-Day comment?
I do but somehow in 3 months others have forgotten. Here's a reminder...

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...c-jones-news-video/1ilzb3vk07cg41huo3kgkz1nqm

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
If Jalen is the starter for the Louisville game, then something is VERY wrong.

The difference in this year vs 2016 is we had not seen Barnett or Jalen take real snaps yet, so they were both going to play. We have seen Tua and Jalen take real snaps, and Ray Charles could see one is better than the other...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If Jalen is a better QB than Tua I will give up football. Maybe me and Herbstreit can hang out together.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.