Alabama QB competition article

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
A throwing QB needs more reps, and once he's in a rhythm, it's foolish to change QBs for change's sake.
I did not say it should be a set rotation...but you can mark it down...if Hurts is here for the 2018 season he will be used and it will prove to be very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I know it's been debated, but if Tua is not sitting there with his skills, I don't know if Jalen gets pushed so much toward doing the uncomfortable things he was asked to do last year.
Without Tua, there's no one pushing Jalen last year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I just find it hard to believe we give this scholarship to a QB unless we know someone is gone. Maybe I'm way off because I haven't followed recruiting super closely but it just feels inevitable to me.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I just find it hard to believe we give this scholarship to a QB unless we know someone is gone. Maybe I'm way off because I haven't followed recruiting super closely but it just feels inevitable to me.
This can be the case but here’s the thing...if Hurts were to leave this season it would be like a wasted year for him...not scholarship wise but playing wise.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I did not say it should be a set rotation...but you can mark it down...if Hurts is here for the 2018 season he will be used and it will prove to be very effective.
And, I didn't quote your post. Also, I did say, which I believe you alluded to, that Jalen could be used in certain situations. Anything more would be detrimental to the offense.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This can be the case but here’s the thing...if Hurts were to leave this season it would be like a wasted year for him...not scholarship wise but playing wise.

What's the alternative? Staying here only helps if Saban let's him redshirt IMO.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Who says we’re going back to that? Saban took issue anytime last year when a reporter insinuated it in a question. Locks is a RPO guy. Not like Saban brought Mac back.

JMO. We will still have RPO in the offense but with Tua at QB, which I believe he will be, the majority of our offense will be more Saban traditional. Now if Jalen is the QB.........

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What's the alternative? Staying here only helps if Saban let's him redshirt IMO.
I agree and can't imagine Jalen agreeing to garbage time. Because CNS is a loyal guy, I think he might agree to allow Jalen to redshirt and then he can graduate and use the graduate transfer rule to have 2 years to play 2. If Tua went down in game one, Jalen could always choose to play if the staff thinks he's the best option rather than Jones.

JMO. We will still have RPO in the offense but with Tua at QB, which I believe he will be, the majority of our offense will be more Saban traditional. Now if Jalen is the QB.........
And I think Tua will be more deadly at running the RPO because he's a legitimate passing threat. I also don't think Jalen was all that great at running the RPO because his field vision isn't good. I remember many times when he kept and should have handed off.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I feel like we are just continuing to make excuses for Hurts’s limitations and most of us want him to stay for selfish reasons, myself included.

At this point, it’s obvious Tua is the future and everyone just needs to move on. I’ll miss Jalen but Tua is special.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I feel like we are just continuing to make excuses for Hurts’s limitations and most of us want him to stay for selfish reasons, myself included.

At this point, it’s obvious Tua is the future and everyone just needs to move on. I’ll miss Jalen but Tua is special.
I think everyone knows the situation with Jalen. There is no question Tua has all the tools but if we get to have Jalen too it would be nice to have someone who can run like he can. Even though he is not the passer Tua is it would be nice to use his talent too. What gets me is people who won’t at least acknowledge that Jalen is special in what he does best (running the ball). You watch...there will be twenty people saying I’m crazy and that Jalen isn’t that great. Please save your post....thanks in advance.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What gets me is people who won’t at least acknowledge that Jalen is special in what he does best (running the ball). You watch...there will be twenty people saying I’m crazy and that Jalen isn’t that great. Please save your post....thanks in advance.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I haven't heard one person (much less 20) make the allegation that Jalen isn't a special talent in the run game.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Jalen can do fine.
Tua is a special talent.
Tua will need to prove he can eliminate mistakes to take #1.
Jalen was 17 TDs and 1 INT, and guided the team to the National Championship as a true freshman and 2nd year. Can Tua have the consistency to do that, that had not been proven game in and game out. There will be a rotation until the first tough, tight game. Jalen starts, but lots of Tua. Barring injuries, of course. Tua needs to prove the consistency. One/Two inconsistent games, could cost season at QB.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I haven't heard one person (much less 20) make the allegation that Jalen isn't a special talent in the run game.
Wouldn't argue that point. I would argue that is not what we need at QB, at least one with limited decision-making skills.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Wouldn't argue that point. I would argue that is not what we need at QB, at least one with limited decision-making skills.
True. Very true. None of us wants a repeat of last year. We want an SEC CG as well as CFP. Unless one QB is not 100% there will not be a question of who the starter is.

Let me put is this way: If we do have a controversy then include Mack Jones in the mix.

We have seen what Tua can do. We have seen what Jalen can't do. That should be the end of the discusson. If not then Jones needs to be in the mix to see what he can or can't do.

Last edited:

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Jalen can do fine.
Tua is a special talent.
Tua will need to prove he can eliminate mistakes to take #1.
Jalen was 17 TDs and 1 INT, and guided the team to the National Championship as a true freshman and 2nd year. Can Tua have the consistency to do that, that had not been proven game in and game out. There will be a rotation until the first tough, tight game. Jalen starts, but lots of Tua. Barring injuries, of course. Tua needs to prove the consistency. One/Two inconsistent games, could cost season at QB.
Tua proved himself all year long, every chance he got, and had only 2 turnovers the whole year. Since you included Jalen's freshman year, I'd note that he turned over the ball 14 times that year, and fumbled several others that we were lucky enough to recover. He also quarterbacked an offense in the title game, loaded with elite players, that had only 2 series more than 5 plays. We went 3 and out so many times that the defense had to defend 99 plays vs a good offense. That'll get you beat and it did. Going 3 and out is a lot like a turnover.

Some folks claimed during the year that Tua hadn't proven himself under pressure. Coming in the 2nd half of a national title game, after the offense hadn't scored a single point and couldn't move the ball, was pressure, and he won for us the national title.

As for consistency, I've watched every game the last 2 years and have seen Hurts consistently struggle against good defenses and Tua play consistently well when given the chance.

Tua has 77 pass attempts, with 11 tds, and 2 turnovers. Hurts has thrown the ball 255 times with 17 tds and 1 turnover. Extrapolate Tua's attempts to Jalen's numbers, which is about 3.3 times as many, and his tds would be about 36 and turnovers would be about 6. Heck, round it up to 7. That's a sight better than we've been getting.

I'm not sure where the idea comes from that Tua is really bad about turning over the ball, but the stats prove it isn't really so. For those that might say it was from practices, I'd ask what is more important: practice, or real live games?

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Let me put is this way: If we do have a controversy then include Mack Jones in the mix.
We have seen what Tua can do. We have seen what Jalen can't do. That should be the end of the discusson. If not then Jones needs to be in the mix to see what he can or can't do.
Given his A-day performance, I wouldn't mind giving Jones a shot at backup.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I think everyone knows the situation with Jalen. There is no question Tua has all the tools but if we get to have Jalen too it would be nice to have someone who can run like he can. Even though he is not the passer Tua is it would be nice to use his talent too. What gets me is people who won’t at least acknowledge that Jalen is special in what he does best (running the ball). You watch...there will be twenty people saying I’m crazy and that Jalen isn’t that great. Please save your post....thanks in advance.

I totally agree, Jalen is a great running threat. However, 2 years of tape has proven he just isn’t good enough to win a championship. Don’t get me wrong, I will be thrilled if he stays. I just don’t see it happening.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.