Alabama QB competition article

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Alabama has one of college football's more distinct quarterback battles heading into 2018 spring practices in the form of Jalen Hurts vs. Tua Tagovailoa.

You can see why Alabama coach Nick Saban has a tough choice to make ahead of the 2018 season.

His decision could ultimately affect not only the future of Alabama's offense, but also the respective futures of Tagovailoa and Hurts. Here's a look at the factors he'll consider in Alabama's upcoming quarterback competition:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ovailoa-jalen-hurts/hdn83jj0pixy1cx8qz00rvoku

We can look forward to many, many of these articles until someone is named starter. Of course, all these people seem to be EXPERTS at knowing what Jalen and Tua will do if not named starter. I prefer to wait and see.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Excellent article. A very realistic assessment of the situation IMO. They give a slight edge to Tua but I think he has a big edge. Coach Saban said in an interview how the offense struggled the whole second half of the season, not just the first half against Georgia so unless Jalen shows something spectacular in the spring game I think Tua starts in the fall. Jalen is a fine young man but the offense is just too one dimensional with him at QB.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Excellent article. A very realistic assessment of the situation IMO. They give a slight edge to Tua but I think he has a big edge. Coach Saban said in an interview how the offense struggled the whole second half of the season, not just the first half against Georgia so unless Jalen shows something spectacular in the spring game I think Tua starts in the fall. Jalen is a fine young man but the offense is just too one dimensional with him at QB.
There you go injecting reason and logic into what should be an emotional issue.

Seriously, I think the job is Tua's to lose. If you listen to Saban, as PTF has, he'll generally tell you what he thinks. And he thinks the offense was inadequate for the second half of the year, which, other than FSU, was where the majority of good teams were on the schedule.

It's true that Jalen is best at running and protecting the ball. But that comes at a high price in terms of one-dimensionality. Against 85-90% of FBS teams, we win anyway on coaching and talent. But against good teams, it's a struggle. Against elite teams, it's death.

Lots of talking heads and ink-stained wretches think Saban's decision to go with Tua in the second half of the NCG was incredibly gutsy and bold. I don't think so. I think he had no choice.

Sitting there in the locker room, he doesn't know for sure how Tua will respond in his first meaningful playing time, on the biggest possible stage in college football, down 13-0, and the offense struggling, to put it charitably.

But after MSU (a very close call) and Auburn (no way to sugar-coat it -- we got hammered) he knows with 100% certainty that if he doesn't make a change, we lose. I think he actually made the decision midway to late in the second quarter.

Saban has said the offense struggled, and that he wants a more pro-oriented play action attack. He has promoted from within (remember -- Locksley is given a lot of the credit for holding together a WR corps that insiders say was on the verge of mutiny), and brought in new blood (Enos) consistent with that statement.

Barring injury to Tua, Jalen will have to show a skill set we haven't seen to retain the starting job. If he does, Tua's gone, and I wouldn't blame him one iota. If Tua wins out, and I think he will, the author and I agree that Jalen's decision rests on what he wants after college football.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm glad this article doesn't overplay the competition as much as some others I have seen. Tua is the big favorite and everyone should be able to admit that.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Saban has said the offense struggled, and that he wants a more pro-oriented play action attack. He has promoted from within (remember -- Locksley is given a lot of the credit for holding together a WR corps that insiders say was on the verge of mutiny), and brought in new blood (Enos) consistent with that statement.

Barring injury to Tua, Jalen will have to show a skill set we haven't seen to retain the starting job. If he does, Tua's gone, and I wouldn't blame him one iota. If Tua wins out, and I think he will, the author and I agree that Jalen's decision rests on what he wants after college football.

Saban has said this numerous times since the championship game. I think this is him tipping his hand a bit as to who is the front runner and odds on favorite to be the QB.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Like everyone here, I want nothing more than a repeat of a championship season, then another, then another. But I will say that just because Tua had the magic hand against Georgia doesn't mean he is going to win the Heisman. Once people have film on him and gameplan for his abilities he will have days where he does not get to be the highlight reel, but of course, that's why the other 84 guys are there, right?

I don't expect CNS to say one word about who is going to start against Louisville, period. Not even the day of the game. I think you are going to see another McCarron/Simms deal where he will just say that we have good qb's who we have trust in and leave it at that. If one of these guys is going to transfer it will not be because of anything Coach says publicly.

rtr

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
One thing that has bothered me when people show Jalens' stats is that it doesn't take into account for how many passing yards and completions came off the jet sweep. If you look at raw numbers they yardage doesn't look very bad for someone that is a dual threat quarterback. The knock on him has been his downfield(short and long) passing. Jet sweeps inflate the numbers for completion rate and yardage. I realize there were more his freshman year but it is still something to keep in mind.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Like everyone here, I want nothing more than a repeat of a championship season, then another, then another. But I will say that just because Tua had the magic hand against Georgia doesn't mean he is going to win the Heisman. Once people have film on him and gameplan for his abilities he will have days where he does not get to be the highlight reel, but of course, that's why the other 84 guys are there, right?

I don't expect CNS to say one word about who is going to start against Louisville, period. Not even the day of the game. I think you are going to see another McCarron/Simms deal where he will just say that we have good qb's who we have trust in and leave it at that. If one of these guys is going to transfer it will not be because of anything Coach says publicly.

rtr
No doubt, as teams get more film and make him the centerpiece of their defensive game plan, it will get tougher. But it's one thing to game plan and an entirely different animal going out there and executing it. It is MUCH, MUCH easier to execute a gameplan when you're facing a QB who struggles to see the field past his first read and also struggles with accuracy. The execution component is fairly simple.

However, when the defense is facing a quarterback who has great pocket awareness, field vision, a quick release and pin point accuracy. It severely, severely limits what they can do from not only a schematic standpoint, but an execution standpoint. When you're required to cover the entire field there are A LOT of one on one situations and more than likely at least one man running wide open. That's not even talking about what it does to the running game. It instantly gets defenders out of the box.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Also keep in mind that you really don't lose much from Jalen to Tua as a running threat. Tua averaged 4.9 YPC last year as a runner. Jalen averaged 5.0 YPC his freshman year. Jalen is faster, but Tua is quicker.

IMO, every aspect of your offense will be more difficult to defend with Tua at QB. Love Jalen, but Tua is just better.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Also keep in mind that you really don't lose much from Jalen to Tua as a running threat. Tua averaged 4.9 YPC last year as a runner. Jalen averaged 5.0 YPC his freshman year. Jalen is faster, but Tua is quicker.

IMO, every aspect of your offense will be more difficult to defend with Tua at QB. Love Jalen, but Tua is just better.
I think this is one aspect that gets overlooked in Tuas game, I've said for a while the kid can run . He's always a threat to take off with the ball and opposing defences will not be able to prepare for him in a one dimensional scheme.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

This in a nutshell. He's just better.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the guy that wrote that has been reading TideFans.

Nothing he said hasn't been considered/debated or said right here.

I actually chuckled when I read this:

Alabama pits its first-string offense and defense against each other, but it's likely Hurts and Tagovailoa will lead both the No. 1 and No. 2 offenses throughout the game. This also allows Saban to see who runs the first-string offense better, and to see who gels best with the most players.
I think that's what CNS saw in the NC game, but since this guy says this is what CNS is going to do I know where I'm putting my money!

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Another "Bingo!" for B1GTide - Tua's probably more elusive as well and not terribly far behind in the solid specimen status, either, powerlifting personal bests notwithstanding...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
No doubt, as teams get more film and make him the centerpiece of their defensive game plan, it will get tougher. But it's one thing to game plan and an entirely different animal going out there and executing it. It is MUCH, MUCH easier to execute a gameplan when you're facing a QB who struggles to see the field past his first read and also struggles with accuracy. The execution component is fairly simple.

However, when the defense is facing a quarterback who has great pocket awareness, field vision, a quick release and pin point accuracy. It severely, severely limits what they can do from not only a schematic standpoint, but an execution standpoint. When you're required to cover the entire field there are A LOT of one on one situations and more than likely at least one man running wide open. That's not even talking about what it does to the running game. It instantly gets defenders out of the box.
This, and he will get better as well. So, even though teams will be able to game plan more for him his growth as a QB should match if not surpass the impact better game planning will have.

I think this is one aspect that gets overlooked in Tuas game, I've said for a while the kid can run . He's always a threat to take off with the ball and opposing defences will not be able to prepare for him in a one dimensional scheme.
He can definitely run. But personally, I hope he runs as little as possible or at least stops trying to run dudes over quite as much. I'm hoping that his willingness to be physical was in part because of the situation he was in. He needs to avoid big hits when possible.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I really don't want that kid running unless he just absolutely has to. I don't think we can afford to lose him, and he looks a lot less beefy than Jalen physically.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
This, and he will get better as well. So, even though teams will be able to game plan more for him his growth as a QB should match if not surpass the impact better game planning will have.

He can definitely run. But personally, I hope he runs as little as possible or at least stops trying to run dudes over quite as much. I'm hoping that his willingness to be physical was in part because of the situation he was in. He needs to avoid big hits when possible.
I don't think you'll need to utilize his running threats as much due to his passing game but running over that defender in the Georgia game was probably something most QBs would attempt in that situation given youre in the midst of a possible game winning drive. There will be times when that toughness is needed

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't think you'll need to utilize his running threats as much due to his passing game but running over that defender in the Georgia game was probably something most QBs would attempt in that situation given youre in the midst of a possible game winning drive. There will be times when that toughness is needed
Oh yea I agree. I just hope he doesn't do it against someone like Mercer.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

And I think the decision will also have a big impact on Bama's running game. With Jalen at QB, defenses crowded the line and dared Bama to throw. With a more serious threat at QB, you have to back out of the box a bit and that opens running lanes for Damien, Najee & Co.
Time will tell.
If I was Jalen's father, I'd be asking NFL scouts to look at my son's measurables and film and given him some hard but honest advice as to where his future lies. Tim Tebow rode his "I refuse to play any position but QB" strategy all the way to the sidelines of SEC football games as a commentator. Antwaan Randle El had a successful NFL career as a receiver.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
And I think the decision will also have a big impact on Bama's running game. With Jalen at QB, defenses crowded the line and dared Bama to throw. With a more serious threat at QB, you have to back out of the box a bit and that opens running lanes for Damien, Najee & Co.
Time will tell.
If I was Jalen's father, I'd be asking NFL scouts to look at my son's measurables and film and given him some hard but honest advice as to where his future lies. Tim Tebow rode his "I refuse to play any position but QB" strategy all the way to the sidelines of SEC football games as a commentator. Antwaan Randle El had a successful NFL career as a receiver.
Yep, I'd be doing the same thing. Doing that doesn't mean Jalen doesn't have a chance to still be a quarterback in college, possibly even at Alabama. Though I'd say it is a long shot at Bama. But at least you're getting information on what Jalen may have to do if he has dreams of the NFL. Yeah, Tebow stubbornly Tor-"Tebow"-ed his NFL career.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Thing is, we can probably call the exact same plays for Tua as we did for Jalen with a lot of RPO stuff, but get different play outcomes. Tua's reads will tend more toward giving the ball to the RB and/or making the throw versus taking off and running. Toward the end of last season our 'RPO' really just turned into a light zone read play b/c Jalen almost never pulled the trigger on the "P" part of the plan.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.