Alabama QB competition article

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Without being told by Saban himself, this is as close to 100% not the case as possible.
Probably right. But I could easily see it where the camp calls up the coaching staff of each team, asks who the coach would like invited, and get an answer. I doubt Saban himself answers that call, but sends to message to invite this or that kid. It is not likely Mac Jones gets that invite, so they decided in some way or another. Either based on incumbency or by being told this is the guy you should invite.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...Jalen's towering strength is ball security. The guy may go 3-and-out a lot, but he just doesn't turn it over. Fundamentally, I remain old school: Run the ball, stop the run, win special teams, and don't turn the ball over. I detest "basketball on grass" and anything remotely approaching that.

So when I say what I'm about to say, it comes only after long and serious thought: In Jalen Hurts' case, the ball security is just too expensive in terms of lost / foregone opportunities...
Synthesis - Playing not to lose is very different from playing to win. Jalen plays not to lose, and that will work 9-10 games per year.

It’s a shame Jalen was thrust into the starting role so early. What was an asset for a true freshman - ball security above all else - has become the liability he can’t seem to unlearn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Synthesis - Playing not to lose is very different from playing to win. Jalen plays not to lose, and that will work 9-10 games per year.

It’s a shame Jalen was thrust into the starting role so early. What was an asset for a true freshman - ball security above all else - has become the liability he can’t seem to unlearn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think similarly. I wish he had gotten the opportunity to develop in a backup role for a couple of years before being thrust into the position he was. Though I often have some harsh takes on him, I do believe much of it was beyond his control. He was told to go run plays on the team as the starter, and he did it. But as well as he did, I think that actually hurt his development long term. Would he have developed into what we all now want him to be? Who knows. But he might have had a better chance at it.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
I looked up Manning Camp site and it seems like they are the one who does the invitations.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
So Manning wouldn't invite an Alabama quarterback with the most potential in decades? Well heck. Maybe he just still hates Alabama. I can imagine any Tennessee supporter or fan would prefer to play UA with Hurts than UA with Tagovailoa.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
So Manning wouldn't invite an Alabama quarterback with the most potential in decades? Well heck. Maybe he just still hates Alabama. I can imagine any Tennessee supporter or fan would prefer to play UA with Hurts than UA with Tagovailoa.
I can imagine Tn would rather not play Alabama no matter who is at QB. The beat downs continue.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
What was an asset for a true freshman - ball security above all else - has become the liability he can’t seem to unlearn.
But he turned over the ball 14 times his freshman year, and fumbled many more we recovered. Some people talk about Tagovailoa being prone to turnovers, but he turned it over only 2 times. I am not sure how many snaps each each took at qb, but extrapolating pass attempts in lieu of snaps, Tua would have turned it over only 6.6 times if he'd played as much as Hurts, so let's round it up to 7. Half as many as Hurts first year, and his tds would extrapolate to 36. Good trade.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Was Jaken at the Manning camp last year?

Yes, and I remember there were accolades about how great he threw the ball.....
There's been accolades about how well Jalen throws in glorified passing camps since his high school days. We have a 2 year sample size of how he performs against bad, good and great defenses. How well he throws in the Manning camp really has no impact on his 2 year sample size of on field action. If Jalen improves as a passer it will be because of Dan Enos not anything that happens at the Manning camp..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Jalen is undefeated in 7 vs. 7 drills in summer camps.

Tua is undefeated after digging his team out of a 13 point hole against a top 5 defense on the biggest stage possible.

No, I don't hate Jalen and no I'm not Tua's dad.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I agree it's mental with him, but I disagree that he can hit his mark ("get the ball where it needs to go"). His inaccuracy is part of the mental.

He also struggles with anticipation (throwing guys open) and I think he has to see a guy get open, but even then he tucks and runs or waits so late the timing is off.

Until he proves otherwise, I think the gulf is much wider between him and Tua.
I agree.............his decision making skills under pressure are frustrating. Tuck and run when he could have thrown to a receiver, throwing behind or too short, etc.........

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I agree.............his decision making skills under pressure are frustrating. Tuck and run when he could have thrown to a receiver, throwing behind or too short, etc.........
And how many more throws where the receiver had to break stride, or almost stop and wait (Ridley vs. Mercer)?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.