Alabama QB competition article

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Moreover, he's simply too good to sit on the bench while Hurts plays two more years, and then have only one year to play after Hurts eligibility. To have only one year to play would impact any contract he may sign with the NFL, and he's good enough to do that, regardless of his height. A guy has to look out after himself, because nobody else is going to do it.

That said, I think it's all a moot point, and Tagovailoa will be the starting qb at Alabama next season.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I mean, I understand what everyone is saying.. I hear people saying they fully expect Tua to be the starter and etc. All I'm doing is presenting the logical thinking and that Tua and Jalen will battle it out. I don't think it's fair to name Tua the starter over one game. Jalen got the team to the playoff. Tua won the championship game for the team. I feel both deserves a chance to compete and may the best man win. I will be shocked if Tua doesn't win the job by the first game. I think we will see improved Jalen this spring and it will be close battle.

All I'm saying is Saban isn't going to name a starter this early... or after spring camp. We all know that people perform well in Spring camp and then ends up struggle in the fall camp. Plus, How many times the fans have thought that certain players would end up winning starting job but didn't? Phillip Sims? Star Jackson? Jacob Coker in his first year? My point is simple.. Let it play out... Jalen may surprise us.. and maybe he won't.. but give that boy a chance to compete and let the domino falls where it may.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...d-play-jalen-hurts-tua-tagovailoa-quarterback

He said both Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa welcome the competition as the defending national champion Crimson Tide prepare to start spring practice in two weeks."The most important thing is to play the best guy, and if both guys can play winning football, it's not out of the question that we'll find a role for both guys in fairness to both guys," Saban told ESPN on Friday. "I don't know that there's any more to it than that."
Saban said he pulled Hurts aside after the championship game to reassure him that he would remain a very important part of the Alabama program regardless of how the quarterback situation shakes out. Hurts will be a junior in 2018.
"I told him, 'We would have never gotten here without you, and even though it wasn't your time (in the championship game) and we needed Tua to give us a spark, that should not be anything but a learning experience for you in terms of what you have to do to be a more consistent player in the future,' " Saban recounted.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
As Finebaum said in the video about Saban "he'll drag this on as long as possible because he does not want to lose Jalen Hurts before the season...even begins"

Jalen Hurts has had two years to improve, and he hasn't, significantly. As previously noted, he still can't read the defense before or after the snap, he still has horrible pocket presence, he still can't check down to secondary receivers, he doesn't look off the dbs, he still can't consistently complete the intermediate and long ball, and there are statistics, even charts, that clearly show that. Tua Tagovailoa showed that he was better as a true freshman at all those things than Hurts is yet.

Sure, Hurts will have a good spring, just like last year, and then, if he were to be the starter (and Tua gone) when we play good defenses whose intent is to take off his head, he will struggle just like he has the entire time, and so the offense will struggle. He will, though, put up pretty numbers in the spring and against the sisters of the poor and the also rans. It's not a sin nor a crime to not be a really good quarterback at this level. It's just not conducive to winning the trophy, like the team did with Tagovailoa in January, but failed to do last year vs Clemson.

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Personally, I wouldn't expect anything different than for Tua and Hurts to both state they welcome the competition. They are not going to say anything different than that, that's who they are. Just as I wouldn't expect Saban to say anything negative about one if his quarterbacks as far as playing time or contribution wise. He's a great coach who's handling this the way he should. But in my view, Hurts has had two seasons in real game time competition to lay claim to the position and he's been challenged by great defenses and pressure situations. That should be all the competition or push you need. My view of Tua isn't based on one half of a game, it's what he's done in limited playing time plus coming in cold in a pressure cooker situation down by 13 facing the best defense he's played against that year. I like the comment at the end of the game in Jalens interview "he's got that it factor, he's made for moments like this" . Tua could certainly push Jalen to become better, but I'm not quite sure I believe the same in reverse.RTR

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's not settled just because Tua won the game.... Jalen is going to be given every chance to win his starting job back... If one assume Tua won the job based on the last play of the game.... then that's not accurate. New coaches, new OC... It's going to last into the fall.. maybe 1st or 2nd game before we know for sure.
I haven't heard one person say he won the job because of the last play of the game. IMO, he's won the job (in practical terms) because he clearly demonstrated he was the superior option as a QB during the course of the season. Also remember that lots of this, according to reports, was happening in practice when he was torching our defense.

Yes, everyone had to question if he could have performed under the toughest situation because he'd not been given the opportunity. But then he basically answered every question anyone could have about him in the second half of play. It wasn't perfect and he's got room to improve, and that's probably the scariest thing for anybody who is rooting for Jalen to suddenly become something he's not.

I mean, I understand what everyone is saying.. I hear people saying they fully expect Tua to be the starter and etc. All I'm doing is presenting the logical thinking and that Tua and Jalen will battle it out. I don't think it's fair to name Tua the starter over one game. Jalen got the team to the playoff. Tua won the championship game for the team. I feel both deserves a chance to compete and may the best man win. I will be shocked if Tua doesn't win the job by the first game. I think we will see improved Jalen this spring and it will be close battle.

All I'm saying is Saban isn't going to name a starter this early... or after spring camp. We all know that people perform well in Spring camp and then ends up struggle in the fall camp. Plus, How many times the fans have thought that certain players would end up winning starting job but didn't? Phillip Sims? Star Jackson? Jacob Coker in his first year? My point is simple.. Let it play out... Jalen may surprise us.. and maybe he won't.. but give that boy a chance to compete and let the domino falls where it may.
We know that CNS hasn't named a starter. You're not saying something everyone doesn't know. It will "play out" and Jalen will be given his fair chance.

It's my opinion that Tua was better than Jalen the first day he stepped on campus, but Jalen's experience was more important than Tua's talent to CNS.
That slowly changed during the course of last year and the NC was the exclamation point that the reality of Tua being better was confirmed.

And concerning what's "fair," this is big boy football and everyone can't get what they want. But, it's also way beyond what Tua and Jalen think/want. The QB position is the most pivotal because what they do affects the whole team.
IOW, the "team" deserves the best player and that is what this comes down to ultimately.

I think Tua knows he's better and I think Jalen probably does too. I think they probably both already know how it's going to go. Not saying Jalen won't try to get better, but the mountain is probably just too big for him to overcome. I hope he sticks around, but I don't think his decision will be based off a public statement from CNS about who's the starter in the spring or fall.

Last edited:

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
"The most important thing is to play the best guy, and if both guys can play winning football, it's not out of the question that we'll find a role for both guys in fairness to both guys," Saban told ESPN on Friday. "I don't know that there's any more to it than that."

A rather ambiguous statement by Saban, probably deliberately so. "Play the best guy" to me means one guy as the starter and the other as backup, not a 2 QB system. "We'll find a role for both guys" could mean a couple of things. Saban didn't say a role for both guys at QB, just a role. If he did mean a role for both guys at QB that would somewhat conflict with "Play the best guy" because with a 2 QB system he wouldn't always be playing the best guy, so perhaps he is hinting at using Jalen at another position to utilize his running ability. That's my take.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
It will be interesting to see how the grad transfer from ECU factors into all of this. Is he on campus now so he can be involved with spring practice?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
As Finebaum said in the video about Saban "he'll drag this on as long as possible because he does not want to lose Jalen Hurts before the season...even begins"

Jalen Hurts has had two years to improve, and he hasn't, significantly. As previously noted, he still can't read the defense before or after the snap, he still has horrible pocket presence, he still can't check down to secondary receivers, he doesn't look off the dbs, he still can't consistently complete the intermediate and long ball, and there are statistics, even charts, that clearly show that. Tua Tagovailoa showed that he was better as a true freshman at all those things than Hurts is yet.

Sure, Hurts will have a good spring, just like last year, and then, if he were to be the starter (and Tua gone) when we play good defenses whose intent is to take off his head, he will struggle just like he has the entire time, and so the offense will struggle. He will, though, put up pretty numbers in the spring and against the sisters of the poor and the also rans. It's not a sin nor a crime to not be a really good quarterback at this level. It's just not conducive to winning the trophy, like the team did with Tagovailoa in January, but failed to do last year vs Clemson.
I am a little worried about Jalen looking really good against a totally revamped and inexperienced defensive backfield and skewing everyone's impression of his improvement. Granted, Tua will have the same advantage, but still.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I am a little worried about Jalen looking really good against a totally revamped and inexperienced defensive backfield and skewing everyone's impression of his improvement. Granted, Tua will have the same advantage, but still.
You mean like he did during A-Day last year?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Valid point, but again I want to point out that He have had three OCs in two years. Kiffin wasn't known for developing QB but rather known for making his QB look good in the game. Sark... I'll skip that one, and then we had Daboll. We've heard stories on Daboll and how Locksley had to develop plan for Hurts.... So to be fair, he hasn't really had a true QB coaching to help him develop his game. We hired a good QB coach this off season, so again, Slate is wiped clean and stuff Hurts did.. that's in past. Let's see what Dan can do with Hurts and Tua and let it unfolds from there.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Why would you be worried about our QBs looking good? I hope both guys improve and look great. Jalen has shown that he can play; he was the SEC offensive player of the year as a freshman. He has also shown weaknesses that the better defenses we play can exploit. TT has shown flashes of brilliance in his limited action, but turnovers may be a concern for a gunslinger. I hope they both improve. Like most folks here, I predict TT to win the job, and unlike some here I started mentioning JH's limitations during his freshman year and not just last year, but I also hope JH improves and pushes TT to be even better. I love the idea of TT being able to use all parts of the field in the passing game like McCarron could because I want to be able to utilize those great receivers we have. However, the main reason is so we can open those running lanes and just pound people when we want to do so. It should be a great spring.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Valid point, but again I want to point out that He have had three OCs in two years. Kiffin wasn't known for developing QB but rather known for making his QB look good in the game. Sark... I'll skip that one, and then we had Daboll. We've heard stories on Daboll and how Locksley had to develop plan for Hurts.... So to be fair, he hasn't really had a true QB coaching to help him develop his game. We hired a good QB coach this off season, so again, Slate is wiped clean and stuff Hurts did.. that's in past. Let's see what Dan can do with Hurts and Tua and let it unfolds from there.
I just think you are taking this "there is still a competition to be had" a tad far. Sure there will be a competition but I would bet everything I own that Tua wins the job barring an injury or off the field issue.

I believe somewhere I saw that Saban told or implied to a reporter that the players know who the best QB is and it will play out over the off season. If the rumors/reports from those on here last year are any indication then the players are pretty clear on who the better QB is already and I highly doubt that changes.

Can Jalen improve enough to beat out Tua? Sure, it's hypothetically possible. It's also hypothetically possible that we lose to Louisville next season. I seriously doubt either of those come to fruition.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think everyone is cool with "there's going to be a competition" this spring. I'd personally be fine with no starter being announced until next fall.

And, after a vigorous competition, I'd be fine with Jalen being named starter next fall IF he improved enough to beat Tua. But's it's my opinion, no matter the help he might get from Enos over the spring, summer and fall that he can make up that much ground on Tua, who is also likely to improve signficantly too.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I think everyone is cool with "there's going to be a competition" this spring. I'd personally be fine with no starter being announced until next fall.

And, after a vigorous competition, I'd be fine with Jalen being named starter next fall IF he improved enough to beat Tua. But's it's my opinion, no matter the help he might get from Enos over the spring, summer and fall that he can make up that much ground on Tua, who is also likely to improve signficantly too.
I think it's important to remember too that Tua will have the same benefit and help from Enos that Jalen receives.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
It's not like Jalen can't pass. He can. He's made some really good throws. But he gets in a run mind set or something when he should throw. Then it's too late and he has to run. Tua won't do that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.