Alabama QB competition article

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
With CNS bringing Coach Dan Enos on staff (quarterback coach) I am very comfortable in Mac Jones. Coach Enos is WELL respected in his field and is known for being an excellent quarterback coach. If it comes down that Hurts doesn't win the job (which I'd be shocked if he does beat out Tua and named starter), I wish the young man and his family all the best of luck where ever they end up.
I think Enos is the X factor this year for us. He is a true QB coach. Both of the Allen boys at Arkansas were very good and successful albeit while almost getting killed playing behind that o line.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
With all this swirling about now, and that will only intensify, I have every expectation that both Jalen and Tua will handle everything with the same class and grace that they have to this point. When/if either Jalen or Tua transfers, with the way they`ve conducted themselves as young men and represented UA, I would hope that we would all wish them the very best ( only possible exception would be if they ended up at the barn or UT, IMO ! ).

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Yeah I just don't see this ending too well come late August....

CNS is going to make a self HC career decision and program changer to start a once in a lifetime PHENOM QB. One that will make our offense truly 2-dimensional and extremely explosive and take the pressure off a Defense with a new secondary.

Jalen will have to make a career decision to stay and receive the QB coaching he's wanted while only being a play away from going back in.....or.... sit out and graduate and then have 2 years at a new school with yet ANOTHER OC to learn from.

On the bright side I do feel extremely encouraged over Mac Jones progress. Everything I've seen, heard, and read looks and sounds like he's already the 2nd Best Passing QB on the team.

We will be more than fine with Mac as QB2.
I would like for all 3 QB to stay, but if Jalen does transfer, I hope he waits until after the season/after he graduates. I also hope all 3 QB can stay healthy.

Saban will do what is best for the team (I hope). We as fans have our opinions. I wonder what Ms. Terry thinks about the QB situation. He has probably talked with her about it, but that does not mean he will take her advice :) Personally, I think the program benefits more if Tua is the starter-- he is better overall, we are trying to recruit his brother and cousin, and many of the WR recruits we are trying to get would probably go elsewhere if Tua did not start.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I would like for all 3 QB to stay, but if Jalen does transfer, I hope he waits until after the season/after he graduates. I also hope all 3 QB can stay healthy.

Saban will do what is best for the team (I hope). We as fans have our opinions. I wonder what Ms. Terry thinks about the QB situation. He has probably talked with her about it, but that does not mean he will take her advice :) Personally, I think the program benefits more if Tua is the starter-- he is better overall, we are trying to recruit his brother and cousin, and many of the WR recruits we are trying to get would probably go elsewhere.
That’s kinda where I am as well..... have the utmost respect for Jalen and wish him well, but I think the offense runs more efficiently with Tua....... and recruits are looking

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll give one last try at this and leave this be. To me this is like peeling an onion and to some people it's an apple.

My mother died when I was 14. I thought I was going to manage the situation ok, because I still had my dad, but he moved out and remarried within 4 months. He didn't invite me. So, I ended up living with a half-brother. Even though I didn't know him very well, he treated me very well. I was about as happy as I could be in that situation. That is until he decided to get back with his ex-wife (I can't blame him, she had his kids) and then I was left living by myself in the house for a while. After that I lived with another half-brother, who didn't like having me around, and made me feel miserable. I don't think he did it on purpose, but when someone doesn't like having you around, and you don't really have a choice, it's a pretty bad feeling. Finally, I got out of that situation when my brother in Atlanta said I could come live with him.
I'm truly sorry for your misfortune. You've had some real tough breaks and my heart goes out to you.

Good QBs “think”, Great QBs “react”
I think this is true of most sports. Not that training and learning don't help us move from "thinking" to "reacting" but there's the inborn magic that some have and others don't that I really believe sets the best guys apart.

Look, I like the kid, okay? What he did when he BEGAN was REALLY phenomenal.

But set aside the "well, Alabama is unbeaten in 2016" stuff and ask yourself.....what did he REALLY do?

He fumbled his first ever snap against USC. Of course, it's not fair to judge him entirely on that, either.

USC - he was 6 of 11 for 118 yards, 110 of which came on TWO TD pass plays to Ardarius Stewart. Keep in mind that the long TD pass was only about a 14-yard pass that Stewart ran the rest of the way on his own. Also - the defense scored enough to win the game by itself (Marlon's pick six).

He DID have a good game against WKU, hardly a stellar national power. Again keep in mind that the defense and special teams scored as many points as WKU did.

And that leads us to Ole Miss 2016.

Hurts was 19 for 31 for 158 yards. What was important was his RUSHING. I have to admit that without a running QB who could take some time off the clock, we probably DO lose the Ole Miss game. Of course, if you look closer, we had THREE NOTs (Jackson's punt return, Payne's fumble recovery, and Allen's 75-yard rumble), too. This was a strange game all the way around, and I'd hate to put my whole legacy on this one game. But yes, Hurts does deserve credit, and I won't blame him for the fumble on the not called targeting hit that got Ole Miss a TD.

Kent State and UTC aren't even worth talking about.

UK - 20 of 33 for 262, 2 TDs, 0 INT. But again....the defense scored 7 points and only gave up 6. I was at that game and even with those stats it didn't feel like he was improving all that much.

Arky - Hurts had a good game, 13 of 17 for 253, 2TD, 1INT. But even those stats are inflated. 67 of those yards came on a pass play of 20 yards to Stewart, who ran the next 47....oh and fumbled the ball away. You can't blame the fumble on Hurts, but the fact is he had TWO completions the entire game of more than 16 yards and MOST were under 11.

Tennessee - AGAIN, the defense and special teams scored 14 points and the D only gave up 10. Hurts completed 17 of 27 for 172 yards, but he did splending with his legs, rushing for 3 TDs and over 100 yards.

ATM - now again, I was at this game. And the way I recall it, we SHOULD have been blowing ATM out by about three TDs at halftime and yet we only led by six points. But just as a reminder, we went right down the field against them and got first and goal at the ten. Hurts took two losses for five yards and missed a pass to Ridley and we settled for three. On the second drive, we had first and goal at the 9 and Hurts threw a pass to OJ for a 2-yard loss, a run for no gain, and an incomplete to Ridley - and we got a SECOND FG. On the third drive, he did finish with a 5-yard toss to OJ for the TD. On a later drive towards the end of the half, Hurts got us first and 10 at the ATM 14 and we had Jacobs for a loss, Jacobs for a gain, and an incomplete to Ardarius, followed by a missed 29-yard FG. At the end of the half, he threw a meaningless pick.

To open the second half after ATM scored, Hurts had THREE incompletions and we would have had to punt but got bailed out by a DPI that gave us new life.

His stat line was 15 of 25 for 164, 2/2. But 46 of that came on the same basic play that got a lot of his yards where Stewart catches the ball and runs.

LSU - 10 of 19 for 107 yards is never impressive. He had the run that won the game, but one surmises that a competent passer would have blown out LSU.

MSU - okay, he flung the ball for 347 yards. Keep in mind that Kentucky's QB threw for 292 and Danny Etling for 215 (he had Fournette so, less passing)

I mean, YEAH, he threw for a bunch of yards, mostly to Ardarius on the same play they couldn't stop.

Auburn - again, he had a decent enough game, but we kept leaving points on the board. On the first scoring drive we had 2nd and 1 at the eight and he got sacked for a loss and we settled for a FG. right before the half we had first and 10 at the Auburn 13 and had two incompletions and a short run by Bo and settled for another FG. Decent but nothing to write home about.

Let me summarize it like this: Jalen Hurts has had TWENTY-NINE football games to learn to know when to pass and hasn't done it against a defense of any calibre. Tua had ONE HALF of football against an elite level defense when he entered the game down 13-0 and DID know what to do with one exception.

I surmise that 29 games' experience and Tua won't throw the awful pick he did against UGA.

I don't have the same confidence in Jalen to know when to pull the trigger.
It's looking at it this way that the Bleacher Report missed. They acted like Jalen didn't do anything wrong in 2 years and Tua just did everything right in 1 half. That's what I didn't like about their report. They failed to say what you did...that Jalen is basically not a real good quarterback in the sense of being able to pass the football and get the whole offense involved.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm truly sorry for your misfortune. You've had some real tough breaks and my heart goes out to you.

I think this is true of most sports. Not that training and learning don't help us move from "thinking" to "reacting" but there's the inborn magic that some have and others don't that I really believe sets the best guys apart.

It's looking at it this way that the Bleacher Report missed. They acted like Jalen didn't do anything wrong in 2 years and Tua just did everything right in 1 half. That's what I didn't like about their report. They failed to say what you did...that Jalen is basically not a real good quarterback in the sense of being able to pass the football and get the whole offense involved.
The implication is the 26 wins of the 26-2 record of Hurts as QB is soley because of Jalen Hurts. The problem is this insults the defense and the other players' role in that record.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ask yourself THIS question......how many games in the past two seasons that we won would we have lost if Hurts was NOT the QB?

Ole Miss in 2016, probably. Remember, his backups were Cornwell and Barnett and Bateman.

What other games can we honestly say that about?

ANY?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The implication is the 26 wins of the 26-2 record of Hurts as QB is soley because of Jalen Hurts. The problem is this insults the defense and the other players' role in that record.
Yea, that is something that drives me insane. Wins aren't an individual accomplishment, especially in college. Now in the NFL, QB wins become more relevant IMO.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah, that's my thing.

Everyone needs to understand statistics CAN be misleading.

Hank Bauer won seven World Series rings with the NY Yankees. He also managed the Baltimore Orioles to the 1966 World Series championship.

Does ANYBODY actually believe that Hank Bauer should be in the baseball HOF? He was a right fielder with 164 career home runs and a .277 batting average. He led the league in triples once (1957) and fielding percentage twice (1954, 1955). He's the 85th best right fielder to ever play the game and he was on the HOF ballot only his first year eligible and disappeared. NOBODY.....and I mean NOBODY...argues that Bauer somehow deserves to be in the Hall because "he won 8 World Series rings, including one as a manger.")

"But he won as many rings as Babe Ruth" should show how ridiculous that argument is.

Hurts is not as removed statistically as Bauer, but my point is that in any team sport you have guys who may be decent enough or solid enough players to hold a job.

In football.....Marv Fleming was a tight end who played in five of the first eight Super Bowls, winning four (the first guy to win four rings)......he also won an NFL title ring before we had Super Bowls. NOBODY argues that Marv Fleming was even an overly great player, even though he was good.

I would reiterate: HOW many games can we give Hurts the lion's share of credit for us winning or at least a substantial proportion?

Some of our "struggle wins" or "scoreboard looks more impressive than we were" wins were precisely because Hurts was just not very good inside the red zone.

Does anyone here think Hurts hits Ridley with the fourth down pass to tie the Georgia game?

I don't. I have too much evidence to persuade me otherwise. (And even those of you wanting to argue, "But he wasn't the intended receiver," so what?)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I thought the same at first but after rewatching his numbers were not as good as his play. WRs dropped a lot of easily catchable balls.
I still think that was probably his best game here. At least if you adjust for competition level. He still struggled with similar issues but he also let the ball fly a little quicker at times and seemed more willing to throw on the run than did in other games.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I still think that was probably his best game here. At least if you adjust for competition level. He still struggled with similar issues but he also let the ball fly a little quicker at times and seemed more willing to throw on the run than did in other games.
The problem (IMO) with Jalen's game isn't that he could never make the necessary plays. I remember the Miss St game, he made several reads, got the ball out on time and delivered it accurately. He may even had a throw or two in the LSU game like that. The problem is he can't do it on a consistent enough basis. For every one or two times he does it right, there's another five to six times (in a row) he doesn't do it. Which leads to a bogged down offense, a tired defense and frustrated players.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
I knew someone would bring that up but sometimes you gotta watch the tape and not just look at the stats and the passes he did make in that game were some very good ones. Maybe I just look at things different, also forgot to mention the Mississippi State game as well.
Similarly but vice versa, for the real story you have to watch all the passes and lack of ability to read defense, failure to check off to secondary receivers, poor pocket presence, and the games as a whole, rather than supporting Hurts for misleading passing stats, especially in 2016, built primarily on jet sweeps and quick outs.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, that's my thing.

Everyone needs to understand statistics CAN be misleading.

Hank Bauer won seven World Series rings with the NY Yankees. He also managed the Baltimore Orioles to the 1966 World Series championship.

Does ANYBODY actually believe that Hank Bauer should be in the baseball HOF? He was a right fielder with 164 career home runs and a .277 batting average. He led the league in triples once (1957) and fielding percentage twice (1954, 1955). He's the 85th best right fielder to ever play the game and he was on the HOF ballot only his first year eligible and disappeared. NOBODY.....and I mean NOBODY...argues that Bauer somehow deserves to be in the Hall because "he won 8 World Series rings, including one as a manger.")

"But he won as many rings as Babe Ruth" should show how ridiculous that argument is.

Hurts is not as removed statistically as Bauer, but my point is that in any team sport you have guys who may be decent enough or solid enough players to hold a job.

In football.....Marv Fleming was a tight end who played in five of the first eight Super Bowls, winning four (the first guy to win four rings)......he also won an NFL title ring before we had Super Bowls. NOBODY argues that Marv Fleming was even an overly great player, even though he was good.

I would reiterate: HOW many games can we give Hurts the lion's share of credit for us winning or at least a substantial proportion?

Some of our "struggle wins" or "scoreboard looks more impressive than we were" wins were precisely because Hurts was just not very good inside the red zone.

Does anyone here think Hurts hits Ridley with the fourth down pass to tie the Georgia game?

I don't. I have too much evidence to persuade me otherwise. (And even those of you wanting to argue, "But he wasn't the intended receiver," so what?)
When you referred to Hank Bauer I felt a need to comment on him in a way that doesn't respond to the point you were making.
I always recall that everyone always held Bauer in such high esteem as a decorated war hero. Perhaps he doesn't deserve to be in the baseball HOF. He did however have some great achievements that transcend sports. A number of the stars of this Bauer's era such as Ted Williams put it all on the line in a much more serious endeavor. You likely recall that Williams flew combat missions in both WW ll and Korea.

After reading of Bauer's combat wounds it is amazing that he ever played sports at all

From Wikipedia:

One month after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Bauer enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps and served with the 4th Raider Battalion and G Company, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines. While deployed to the Pacific Theater, Bauer contracted malaria on Guadalcanal, however he recovered from that well enough to earn 11 campaign ribbons, two Bronze Stars, two Purple Hearts (for being wounded in action) in 32 months of combat and the Navy Commendation Medal. Bauer was wounded his second time during the Battle of Okinawa, when he was a sergeant in command of a platoon of 64 Marines. Only six of the 64 Marines survived the Japanese counterattack, and Bauer was wounded by shrapnel in his thigh. His wounds were severe enough to send him back to the United States to recuperate.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The problem (IMO) with Jalen's game isn't that he could never make the necessary plays. I remember the Miss St game, he made several reads, got the ball out on time and delivered it accurately. He may even had a throw or two in the LSU game like that. The problem is he can't do it on a consistent enough basis. For every one or two times he does it right, there's another five to six times (in a row) he doesn't do it. Which leads to a bogged down offense, a tired defense and frustrated players.
Oh yea I agree completely. The thing that crushes me a little is that while watching him you can tell he has the athleticism to be an NFL player...just not at QB. In the LSU game he had one run where he faked to the outside allowing the RT to block both the DL and LB and opening up a massive hole. Another play 2 LSU players had him dead to rights for a huge sack but he just spun and took off. He is so strong and fast that he absolutely belongs on the football field. I'm just worried he won't ever change positions and never make it there.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Oh yea I agree completely. The thing that crushes me a little is that while watching him you can tell he has the athleticism to be an NFL player...just not at QB. In the LSU game he had one run where he faked to the outside allowing the RT to block both the DL and LB and opening up a massive hole. Another play 2 LSU players had him dead to rights for a huge sack but he just spun and took off. He is so strong and fast that he absolutely belongs on the football field. I'm just worried he won't ever change positions and never make it there.
Not with Daddy telling him and everybody else that the only thing he'll ever be is a QB.

Maybe he can cut the mustard at that position - but maybe he can't, and suddenly all that emphatic talk about what he is and how he won't play anywhere else is nothing but an anchor around the neck of his career; sinking any hope he may have had at the next level.

Speaking in general terms I've seen a lack of versatility and flexibility cause a few people their jobs. Some people think its the mark of a "champion" to basically be blind and ignorant to the circumstances around them. Again - maybe Jalen CAN play the position, but if he doesn't and refuses to switch then you can count him among the majority of mortals who lost out because they refused to adapt.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
When you referred to Hank Bauer I felt a need to comment on him in a way that doesn't respond to the point you were making.
I always recall that everyone always held Bauer in such high esteem as a decorated war hero. Perhaps he doesn't deserve to be in the baseball HOF. He did however have some great achievements that transcend sports. A number of the stars of this Bauer's era such as Ted Williams put it all on the line in a much more serious endeavor. You likely recall that Williams flew combat missions in both WW ll and Korea.

After reading of Bauer's combat wounds it is amazing that he ever played sports at all

From Wikipedia:

One month after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Bauer enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps and served with the 4th Raider Battalion and G Company, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines. While deployed to the Pacific Theater, Bauer contracted malaria on Guadalcanal, however he recovered from that well enough to earn 11 campaign ribbons, two Bronze Stars, two Purple Hearts (for being wounded in action) in 32 months of combat and the Navy Commendation Medal. Bauer was wounded his second time during the Battle of Okinawa, when he was a sergeant in command of a platoon of 64 Marines. Only six of the 64 Marines survived the Japanese counterattack, and Bauer was wounded by shrapnel in his thigh. His wounds were severe enough to send him back to the United States to recuperate.
It happens. In that moment, Bauer's baseball achievements were likely a secondary consideration for his entry to HOF. It's kinda like you had to live through it. It is understandable that people will cite statistics in the absence of experience or specific knowledge. It's so purely human I would never admonish anyone for doing it.
Like when many people said the Navajo code talkers should make a statement about the Redskin nicklname. No, they don't, the are the effin codetalkers. Whatever they say goes. Whatever they don't say goes. Heroes are a plane above.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.