Alabama QB competition article

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I just can't imagine becoming LSU and not capitalizing on talented WRs like these 3. But with Tua...
Alabama's offense has basically been the same in terms of production for almost ten years. There was no real danger of becoming LSU, the scoring and yards have been remarkably consistent. The danger was of becoming a team that didn't have a very strong downfield passing game.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Alabama's offense has basically been the same in terms of production for almost ten years. There was no real danger of becoming LSU, the scoring and yards have been remarkably consistent. The danger was of becoming a team that didn't have a very strong downfield passing game.
I meant become LSU in the sense that they had guys like Landry and OBJ and basically wasted their college careers with a poor passing game. I don't want to look back and feel like we did that to Smith, Jeudy and Ruggs

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
For certain situations it would work, but a true 2 QB system would take away too many reps from all our playmakers.
I am from the old school where the RB's run the ball and QB's pass the ball. I like it like that. Why on earth would anyone want to make a running back out of a QB unless the passing game is questionable?

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I am from the old school where the RB's run the ball and QB's pass the ball. I like it like that. Why on earth would anyone want to make a running back out of a QB unless the passing game is questionable?
The 2nd QB in the linked article is typically a decoy, which could work some of the time. I agree that the QB should be a distributor of the ball, especially with all the playmakers we have.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Rewatching the Iron Bowl right now. Jalen gets spooked from clean pockets quite a bit and basically runs into pressure. Killed us on at least 1 3rd down

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I don't remember running QB's until the wishbone. I do remember scrambling QB's though and in my mind there is a diff between a running QB and a scrambling QB. One can pass and the other, well …...
Stabler was a very good runner. A third of his offensive yardage was gained on the ground. Bama did run some option plays during that time, but a lot of those yards were on plays where he was scrambling. He ran 47 yards in the rain and mud on one play to beat the barn one year. He would have done well running the wishbone.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I don't remember running QB's until the wishbone. I do remember scrambling QB's though and in my mind there is a diff between a running QB and a scrambling QB. One can pass and the other, well …...
If Harry Gilmer wasn't one then he should have been. His one game Bama record of 36 yards average rushing (216 yards on 6 carries) will probably never be broken.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Stabler was a very good runner. A third of his offensive yardage was gained on the ground. Bama did run some option plays during that time, but a lot of those yards were on plays where he was scrambling. He ran 47 yards in the rain and mud on one play to beat the barn one year. He would have done well running the wishbone.
So was Namath.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Why on Earth would you want to relive that game?
I really didn't want to. I hadn't watched it since watching it live. But I realized I couldn't remember much about it and wanted to better remember Auburn as a team. Specifically their WRs.

And I don't trust most people's success unless it comes against us. I'm a little bit arrogant when it comes to our defense.

And even with all of that. I quit at halftime. Couldn't finish

Last edited:

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
I really didn't want to. I hadn't watched it since watching it live. But I realized I couldn't remember much about it and wanted to better remember Auburn as a team. Specifically their WRs.

And I don't trust most people's success unless it comes against us. I'm a little bit arrogant when it comes to our defense.

And even with all of that. I quit at halftime. Couldn't finish
you my friend are braver than me i erased it from my dvr i just couldnt watch it again ��

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I highly doubt Jalen will start. Too much risk to lose Tua and his brother. Look at last year, Saban already gave Jalen multiple opportunities... Lost at Auburn and woulda lost NC game. Saban held off until literally the second half of NC game to finally make the change. Anyways, I think Saban would love to gauge how serious Jalen’s father is by starting Tua. If Tua proves himself so be it... if Tua chokes, THEN give Jalen a chance. Not vice versa.
I seriously doubt Tua and Taulia leave just because he doesn't start game 1. I hope I'm proved wrong and Tua trots out there first myself, but I'm just not sure Coach Saban would choose a true starter until both split time in games. He has some kind of devotion to Jalen or the fact he was the starter because he should have pulled Jalen in the Iron Bowl and we were less of a threat to win that game than we were against UGA.

I think the QB that will start against Louisville is the one that made CNS run out on the field like a thirteen year old, enabled him to get a 6th National Championship, and led him to state that he was happier than he has ever been.
I hope so!

Tagovailoa just got back from the Elite 11 camp. Yes? So maybe he or the coaches thought it better for him to be on campus working out with the UA receuvers he'll be playing with on Saturdays this fall.
I wouldn't look too much into it regardless.

I think similarly. I wish he had gotten the opportunity to develop in a backup role for a couple of years before being thrust into the position he was. Though I often have some harsh takes on him, I do believe much of it was beyond his control. He was told to go run plays on the team as the starter, and he did it. But as well as he did, I think that actually hurt his development long term. Would he have developed into what we all now want him to be? Who knows. But he might have had a better chance at it.
To be fair though, NOTHING beats game time reps. If you haven't improved after 2 years and what? 28 starts? If you haven't improved after all of that, chances are you have hit your peak. Then again to be fair to Jalen, he is on his 3rd OC now but the same can be said for Tua as well.

I'm just ready for the season to start and I'm ready to see what Tua can do!

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I seriously doubt Tua and Taulia leave just because he doesn't start game 1. I hope I'm proved wrong and Tua trots out there first myself, but I'm just not sure Coach Saban would choose a true starter until both split time in games. He has some kind of devotion to Jalen or the fact he was the starter because he should have pulled Jalen in the Iron Bowl and we were less of a threat to win that game than we were against UGA.
It's hard to see it that way, though you are not the first to say that lately.

Bama was behind UGA 13-0 at the half, they had a lead vs AU with 3:00 til the 4th quarter. After AU took the lead, Bama had the following 3 possessions:a good return and moved to the AU 12 and fumbled; moved 40+ yards to the AU 33 and gained 3 on 4th and 4; then moved 40+ yards as deep as the AU 30 and turned it over on downs. Yea, they looked embarrassingly incompetent on one of those, but they were leading late in the 3rd, then moved the ball on all 3 possessions following falling behind.

It's just not true that Jalen didn't move the team or that it was obvious that Saban should have replaced him with Tua. Not only the facts I mentioned above speak differently, but at that time Jalen was a 24-1 QB who had one of his biggest clutch passing efforts in Bama's previous SEC game vs MSU. Really, it would have been close to ridiculous to replace him. It was nothing like the UGA game. Full disclosure: I have been on record numerous times stating that Tua is superior to Jalen in every way as a passing QB and is almost as good a runner in a different way - just a far superior QB overall. So superior that IMO, Jalen has no chance to catch him. But some of the retrospective is way off the mark. It's unfair to Jalen and CNS - and uninformed.

Certainly agree that "I'm just ready for the season...to start to see what Tua can do!"

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
To be fair though, NOTHING beats game time reps. If you haven't improved after 2 years and what? 28 starts? If you haven't improved after all of that, chances are you have hit your peak. Then again to be fair to Jalen, he is on his 3rd OC now but the same can be said for Tua as well.

I'm just ready for the season to start and I'm ready to see what Tua can do!
Well, now I am going to be the one sounding like a Jalen defender. But I think most who have read through this will see that I am 100% on the Tua train and think Jalen should transfer for his own benefit. That said, I agree and disagree with your point. Indeed, he has not improved over 2 years and 28 games. In fact, I would say he has regressed. However, I think it is a bit unfair to pin that on him entirely. For all of 2016, he was rarely asked to pass more than a jet sweep then an occasional throw just for kicks. He learned that he could win without doing all of that, and was even given offensive player of the year in the SEC for basically only being a running QB who couldn't really throw. So, he taught him that it was ok to not be able to pass the ball. Even if he was hearing in practice that he had to improve that aspect of his game, the results he was seeing on the field told him otherwise. We let him go out there knowing he had serious limitations, basically telling him it was okay for him to have those limitations. We called plays and based an entire offense around covering up the fact that he really couldn't do what we needed him to do. I don't know. Maybe we should have taken our lumps and called more of the real playbook and not taught him the wrong lesson, even if that cost us a game or two in that season. But I really think Jalen never improved in passing because he had the feeling that it wasn't necessary, and he could win without it. And for all but the most important games against the best defenses, he was right. Anyway, yes, Jalen's poor passing game skills have hurt us quite a bit over the last two seasons in spots where it cost us the game, and even worse on the recruiting trail. But I think this is something we let happen by allowing him to go out there and use only his limited skills just because they worked out most of the time. We chose to take the wins over developing the player in this case, so that is the result we must live with.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.