Alabama QB competition article

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I agree with the gist of this thread that Tua will ultimately win the job, but I disagree on this point.

We can if/coulda/woulda with every game Alabama has ever played. But on a night when State ran down the clock, our defense rarely stopped them, we played from behind the entire game and there was added pressure on every possession, Jalen made one big play after another.

So, no, I don’t think we can say we win without him, even if we might have.
The State and Auburn games were great examples of defenses playing to attack Jalen's flaws, though.

It's hard to play the woulda/coulda game because we don't know how teams would have exactly defended the offense with another QB. We do know State and Auburn loaded the box and brought more guys than could be blocked because they knew Jalen couldn't react fast to prevent a negative play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
It's part of the pressures of a QB, Love Jalens demeanor he is a great asset to our Team and University. With that said he needs to remember he got the job thru attrition and making it some where else won't be a piece a cake.
What attrition? I thought he beat our Barnett. At least so far we are not talking about Jalen leaving in the middle of our season. If we are going to have this distraction now is the best time for it.

This aggravates me, but kinda getting back to the subject at hand, I personally don't think Jalen will ever take a snap in the NFL as a QB based on two years of evidence to the contrary.

If Jalen wants to play QB in college he probably needs to transfer to another school, but if this is about getting to the NFL as a signal caller I don't think Jalen's dad is being objective.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. The NFL is full of players who did not develop their first two years on campus. Some didn't break out till year 4 or 5 with a redshirt. How good was Dak Prescott his first two years at State? The difference was Mullen forced him to start staying in the pocket. How about Josh Allen who will be a top 5 pick in this upcoming draft. Josh only had 2 offers coming out of Juco and was thought to be to run first. Didn't do well in his sophomore year at Wyoming than exploded his junior year. How about Jeff Driskel who never lived up to his hype the first two years at Florida, benched for Treon Harris, transfered and was drafted to the NFL. Remember how our defense made him look? How about another Florida QB Jacoby Brisset? Looked much worse than Jalen his first two years, transfered and is now in the NFL. Most of the QB's in the NFL don't have instant success in college. Most get lucky and get under the right coaching staff and get developed. Tua is the better QB but he didn't develop that at Alabama. He had it when he arrived. What Jalen is may not be all he becomes. For every Jameis Winston their is a Tom Savage. All you need to know is Joshua Dobbs was drafted at QB. Right now Jalen is better than he was his senior year.

Also I think it needs to be pointed out that Calvin and Damien and many other Offensive players went through the same Turnover at OC.

It didn't stop Damien from hitting holes and being #4 in the country in YPC or keep Ridley from routinely getting Wide Open.

At some point individual players have to be accountable for their own progress and success. None of our OC's told Jalen to not throw the ball to Wide Open receivers or take carries away from the RB's.

I love Jalen and he does deserve better QB coaching.... which thankfully he is getting now. So hopefully under whatever circumstance he takes a snap again he will be more prepared to execute.

Good point but they still had their same running back and wide receiver coach and if they dropped a pass it was not the same as throwing an interception. Jalen was coached secure the ball. First read not there run. Both of those guys had chances to sit on the sideline especially DH and see what the defense was doing in real time while not playing.

I think our ceiling is much higher with Tua, as we've seen on the field. I'm just getting frustrated with transfers after losing the job.

Is there any other time to transfer. It would be the height of lunacy for the winner of a competition to transfer. QB unlike every other position of the field you have to almost always start to get drafted or make it to the league. I can only off the top of my head remember one QB making it to the league with out starting and he played for USC.

I’m sorry, but Jalen’s dad appeared to have a lot of class and tact like his son, until these comments came out earlier today (if they are indeed true). You would only make those comments, if you knew you were defeated, and had to make what amounts to basically a threat in a last ditch effort to change things. Jalen’s dad should have just kept all that in his back pocket, and just do what he and his family needed to do, if/when they needed to do it. Also, to have that conversation with Saban is one thing, to have it with a reporter just shows desperation.

I believe the comments are true. I have known for quite some time that members of Jalen's family read this board. At some point, doesn't make it right, a parent wants to defend there child. He started that interview with the idea of saying people are saying its a forgone conclusion my son is going to roll over and just hand the starting job to Tua but he is going to fight. He wanted people to know he believes in his son's ability and he is not some after thought at least in his mind. Reading the blogs its not hard to get the impression the fans think he is and after thought and should know when he is beaten and take his rightful place on the bench.

I think you come out and you don't let Jalen run in any of the easy games. You don't call any running plays for him and you don't allow him to run. Have him take sacks. He has got to get where he becomes a pass first, run to find time second, and the run to gain yards 3rd qb. If you want a qb to progress in the passing game you don't design running plays for him. Why we did that last year idk.
I understand what you are saying. Make him work on his craft as a QB even if it means beating a team by 15 instead of 30. For his development its something we should have been doing instead of just running, literally, out the clock.
Look, I like the kid, okay? What he did when he BEGAN was REALLY phenomenal.
Let me summarize it like this: Jalen Hurts has had TWENTY-NINE football games to learn to know when to pass and hasn't done it against a defense of any calibre. Tua had ONE HALF of football against an elite level defense when he entered the game down 13-0 and DID know what to do with one exception.

I surmise that 29 games' experience and Tua won't throw the awful pick he did against UGA.

I don't have the same confidence in Jalen to know when to pull the trigger.
This goes back to what each QB had when they first arrived in T-town. Jalen came here to learn to become a pocket passer but instead we started running the read option. Kiffin said in recruiting it was what made him choose Alabama. We said we would teach him how to stay in the pocket and read defenses. Unfortunately for him he didn't get that redshirt year or even get to sit on the bench and just learn. No doubt about it Tua is a better pocket passing QB than Jalen but we knew that about both coming out of high school.

I love Jalen. If he doesn't want to compete to be the best, or cannot accept the results of that competition, that should inform his NFL future.

Stay or go, but don't let your Dad drive your decisions. At least they not pulling a BB. Next up.
I bet you he is going to compete his backside off. Probably won't be enough. It will tell the NFL what it told them about Russel Wilson who transfered after losing the starting job to Mike Glennon. Nothing.

The State and Auburn games were great examples of defenses playing to attack Jalen's flaws, though.
It's hard to play the woulda/coulda game because we don't know how teams would have exactly defended the offense with another QB. We do know State and Auburn loaded the box and brought more guys than could be blocked because they knew Jalen couldn't react fast to prevent a negative play.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good point.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Well, Jalen did himself no favors today. It didn't help the Joey and Herbie basically were repeating everything that's been said here about Jalen's struggles....almost to a word.

I don't think Jalen was going to win the QB job today no matter how well he might have played, but today he lost ground to Mac Jones.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How was the crowd reaction to Jalen's play today? And for Mac?
Where I was sitting folks were just quietly disappointed. No one upset since everyone expects Tua to take over and play great. It also helped everyone's nerves to see Mac play so well.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Finally just saw the final 7 minutes of the game and Mac Jones really finished with bang on a beautiful TD pass. He looked really impressive all day making quick decisions with good zip on the ball.

He finished going 23 of 35 (66%) for 289 yards 2TD's 1 INT and was Co-Winner of the Dixie Howell MVP Award.

Jalen finished at 19 for 37 for (51%) for 195 yards 1TD and 2 INT's

I know Mac faced the 2's on Defense but he still played very well and looks to have made some serious progress from this time a year ago. He stood tall in the pocket all day.

Jalen while facing the 1's still fell into the habit of consistently bailing out of the pocket and flinching on making decisions to throw the ball. He unfortunately doesn't look any better than he did from December to January.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The competition is over...Tua wins and I say that not just because of how Jalen played. Taulia would not be coming to Bama if there were any thought that Tua would not be the QB going forward. His commitment told me all I needed to know...plus seeing Jalen's body language and performance. I imagine the pressure on Jalen was enormous -- with the publicity from his Dad's visit to CNS and then statements to the press.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Finally just saw the final 7 minutes of the game and Mac Jones really finished with bang on a beautiful TD pass. He looked really impressive all day making quick decisions with good zip on the ball.

He finished going 23 of 35 (66%) for 289 yards 2TD's 1 INT and was Co-Winner of the Dixie Howell MVP Award.

Jalen finished at 19 for 37 for (51%) for 195 yards 1TD and 2 INT's

I know Mac faced the 2's on Defense but he still played very well and looks to have made some serious progress from this time a year ago. He stood tall in the pocket all day.

Jalen while facing the 1's still fell into the habit of consistently bailing out of the pocket and flinching on making decisions to throw the ball. He unfortunately doesn't look any better than he did from December to January.
Ok how did you see the rest of the game? I heard that the game cut away to the Georgia game. I haven’t started watching it yet so I figured I would just watch what you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Ok how did you see the rest of the game? I heard that the game cut away to the Georgia game. I haven’t started watching it yet so I figured I would just watch what you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It should be on the ESPN app for replay. ESPN will probably replay it tonight in the middle of the night again if I had to guess, but it ought to be on the app.

I switched over and watched it live...and Mac Jones really did have a strong finish! I'll say it again, looks like an up and coming AJ McCarron.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I hate it for Jalen. I really was pulling for him to have a great day. There just didn't seem to be any improvement from last year. I know it was just one performance and he may be making strides, but he didn't show it today. Such an awesome guy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.