Alabama QB competition article

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

not at all. i'm just thinking what if. i just think it is similar to the Sims or Coker thing a few years ago. everybody had crowned Coker the starter and Sims became one of the most loved QB's in recent history.
Neither Sims or Coker started for 2 years and regressed..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

If I remember correctly, the third scrimmage was the deciding factor on who started in 2014. Coker had a horrifically bad scrimmage while Sims shined and had a great day.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I think about this qb competition way more than I should, probably to the detriment of my mental health. It’s so obvious to everyone that Tua is the better option by far, it’s not close. He should already be the starter as far as I’m concerned. Then why don’t I trust the best coach in college football, maybe the best in the history of the game to make the right choice? I guess it’s because I think CNS likes to win with a great defense and a serviceable conservative offense and Jalen fits that mold. Add in that CNS may be overly loyal to the point of making a mistake. I think its very possible Jalen starts and until we get in real trouble he may stay in.
In reading articles about Tua, I think he’s had professional qb coaching quite a bit from his early years and thru high school. He has a ton of natural ability but has also worked very hard to achieve the level of play he’s capable of. If Jalen had gotten some professional coaching over the summer, we could at least say he’s given it his best, but that didn’t happen.
Tua and his family (and the team) trusted what has repeatedly been said about “best player starts”, “win the team” etc., and they’ve remained relatively quiet just as Coach likes, not so for Jalen and family. If Tua doesn’t start against Louisville, there will be criticism and questioning from every corner and rightfully so. And there are plenty of potential negatives for the team, including possibly losing what I think may be the best qb to come to UA since the Namath and Stabler days. I feel sure Tua has won the team and we all know he’s not just the best, but likely a rare talent.
I’ve never really liked the qb competition we see every year or so. If a starter doesn’t perform whether in practice or during the season he can always be pulled and replaced. Having a known starter, I think can help gel the team and give reps where they are needed the most. I’m sure plenty disagree. Lastly, there’s another factor that may or may not play-in. If I’m in a competition I only want to start if I’m really the best choice. If someone is obviously much better and more talented than me, I’m embarrassed if chosen and want to know why. If Jalen starts, it will be with him and everyone else knowing he is not the best choice, that can’t be good for the team. I hope I can breathe a big sigh of relief soon when Tua starts.
I was just thinking about this earlier today and agree with what you said. I can't let it get to me (anxiety) and just have to trust Saban. It is nerve-racking to know that Tua is so much better but that Saban may start Jalen to be loyal. To think about the effects that would have on the team in the future, and the recruits....

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

GMac said that Mac Jones took some reps against 1s Saturday

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

I was just thinking about this earlier today and agree with what you said. I can't let it get to me (anxiety) and just have to trust Saban. It is nerve-racking to know that Tua is so much better but that Saban may start Jalen to be loyal. To think about the effects that would have on the team in the future, and the recruits....
I heard a fellow fan today make the comment, when speaking about the issue, "loyalty doesn't win games"................the effects you speak of would be detrimental, to be sure

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

I had to remove my link and replies. The language was just passable down to the F-bomb in the last minute or so...
No loss. Not as good as his "Season 2" video, which was full of good analysis and catchy lines. I'm no fan of videos whose only purpose is to make fun of a player. You don't pump up one guy by pushing down another.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

IMO, it would not be loyalty behind the impetus to start Hurts, it would be that CNS thought he was the best option at this time. I think he is driven to win far above loyalty. Besides if Tua is the best option, it would be disloyal to the players, coaches and fanbase to start Jalen.

I don't like to make comments like the following because CNS knows what he is doing. But he would be playing with fire, and I mean a wildfire, if he were to play around with this QB situation for reason(s) other than who provides the best chance to win. I just can't see him doing something that unwise. It could derail the program.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

IMO, it would not be loyalty behind the impetus to start Hurts, it would be that CNS thought he was the best option at this time. I think he is driven to win far above loyalty. Besides if Tua is the best option, it would be disloyal to the players, coaches and fanbase to start Jalen.

I don't like to make comments like the following because CNS knows what he is doing. But he would be playing with fire, and I mean a wildfire, if he were to play around with this QB situation for reason(s) other than who provides the best chance to win. I just can't see him doing something that unwise. It could derail the program.
I cant see him doing that either.................he didn't get where he is by making bad decisions

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

No loss. Not as good as his "Season 2" video, which was full of good analysis and catchy lines. I'm no fan of videos whose only purpose is to make fun of a player. You don't pump up one guy by pushing down another.
I watched it twice and I felt like his third video didn't really add anything at all, and, as you say, there wasn't the analysis...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Sooo...will you be changing your name to Saban4everaslongastuastarts? :) I suggest not worrying about it because Saban will do what gives our team the best chance to win in his opinion. I also think Tua will start, but I'm more concerned about injuries at LB and experience at DB than I am about QB. We'll know soon enough.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008

Knowing Saban. It would not shock me to see him give Jones the start and take the first snap. It would be his way of reminding everyone he is in charge and he will do it his way.

Actually, think it would be funny as crap. All the betters would lose because neither would get the start. LOL

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

I think Tua will start and play the first half. We might have the game won at half or early 3rd Q so then I expect Jalen to play the rest of the game.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Sooo...will you be changing your name to Saban4everaslongastuastarts? :) I suggest not worrying about it because Saban will do what gives our team the best chance to win in his opinion. I also think Tua will start, but I'm more concerned about injuries at LB and experience at DB than I am about QB. We'll know soon enough.
I am very concerned about linebacker injuries and depth also. For the next recruiting cycle, Saban needs to get twice the number of linebackers he really needs if this trend continues. Two years in a row now...

I will support Saban because he knows more than anyone what is best for the team. :) I am just a fan who wants Tua to start, but am thankful that Jalen and Mac are also both capable of playing well in most games.

All 3 need to stay healthy and get reps with the ones throughout the season. I actually hope Mac gets to play the entire 2nd half v Arkansas State after Tua plays.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

I am very concerned about linebacker injuries and depth also. For the next recruiting cycle, Saban needs to get twice the number of linebackers he really needs if this trend continues. Two years in a row now...

I will support Saban because he knows more than anyone what is best for the team. :) I am just a fan who wants Tua to start, but am thankful that Jalen and Mac are also both capable of playing well in most games.

All 3 need to stay healthy and get reps with the ones throughout the season. I actually hope Mac gets to play the entire 2nd half v Arkansas State after Tua plays.
Mac getting reps with the ones makes me think that Mac will also get a lot of playing time this year alongside Tua and Jalen.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Mac getting reps with the ones makes me think that Mac will also get a lot of playing time this year alongside Tua and Jalen.
I hope so. If Jalen gets disgruntled or asks to be red shirted, you might need him.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

This is how I see the QB competition:

1. Coach Saban is hired to do one thing: win games and championships. Not to play favorites. Not to be "loyal" to one player over another, especially when the other is more talented. He's going to play the QB he feels gives his team the best chance to win. Period. This is not pee-wee football where your Daddy's the coach and you get to play QB even though you're not the best QB on the team. This is big-boy, power 5, college football. Coach Saban will play the QB who gives us the best chance to win every game we play.

2. Coach Saban has said that the starter will be the one who has "won the team." I think Tua won the team last year - if not during the latter part of the season, then definitely in the NC game. I haven't heard of anything that's happened since then that would indicate that Tua has "lost" the team.

3. If Tua is reckless with the ball and throws too many interceptions, then Coach Saban may determine that he does not give us the best chance to win. That's reasonable. That's consistent with his philosophy. That could put Jalen in position to be the starting QB. However, nothing this fall has indicated that Tua is a turnover threat. In the two scrimmages this fall, Tua has thrown 6 TDs and no Ints. OTOH, Jalen has thrown only 2 TDs with 6 Ints.

4. Let's be honest - we don't see or know much about what has happened during fall camp. We aren't in the team meetings. We aren't in the position meetings. We aren't at practice. We don't know who is reckless with the ball and who isn't. We don't know who has "won the team." But Coach Saban is in the meetings and at the practices and sees how the team reacts to both QBs. It's silly for us to second guess his decision with our limited view of what is actually going on with the team.

Personally, I "think" Tua will be the starter. I "think" he deserves to be, based on what I've seen in the games last year and what I've read about the fall workouts. But I don't "know" which QB gives us the best chance to win games, win the SEC, and play for another NC. So I put my trust in the coach whose job it is to know those things and make the appropriate decisions.

Everything will work itself out as the season progresses. I'm just anxious to watch our boys tee it up and play some football.

RTR!

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

Saw on ESPN yesterday that CNS said, and I paraphrase, “Both guys are playing well, so we will just competing and see what happens.”

Perhaps most telling, he emphasized the playmakers at RB and receiver, and that “the QB that best distributes the ball” will play. I think I know who that is. But who can say?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.