Alabama QB competition article

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think he meant if the roles were reversed and there was little tape of Jalen. He might be right there because running QBs are hard to defend without good preparation. Where I think he could be wrong - assuming that having more film on Tua would have produced dramatically different results. Tua forces a defense to defend the entire field. Tua's level of play cannot be " schemed". Film is not going to help.
Idk that I buy that. Jalen would still have to complete passes down field to win that game or they'd just load the box. It wouldnt take long to figure that out IMO. But it's possible

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is really simple.

Jalen runs up gaudy stats against inferior teams — defined as at least 75% of our opponents. His struggles against good to elite defenses stem from his inability to force them to respect the pass.

Because of that dichotomy, averages and seasonal production paint a seductive but highly misleading picture.

Acknowledging that Tua’s performance will deteriorate against the same teams, if he is taking snaps, they will never make us one-dimensional. They will absolutely make us one-dimensional under Jalen.

Jalen can get us in position. His weaknesses have been so thoroughly diagnosed that he can’t win hardware that matters.
Paper Tiger comes to mind.

Just looking at the stats...not the person.

Teams will gameplan against Tua too, but they'll find it's going to be much more difficult when the whole offeensive cupboard is litterally opened up on them. If they take one thing away, we'll just use 3 or 4 others ways to move the ball.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Tua had not completed the winning TD pass we would not be having this discussion. You would be 2nd guessing CNS for pulling Jalen. Watch the name calling unless that is all your I.Q. will allow for.
I think we would, with a little less certainty.

Let's say 2nd and 26 turned into 3rd and 15 and we don't make it. We either try to convert on 4th down or kick a long FG and don't make it and we lose.

The fact Tua showed the amazing chops to bring us back from 13-0 in the second half is reason enough to have the discussion, even if we don't win.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
If we’re being honest, can anyone seriously see Jalen beating Tua for the job? (Barring injury)

If Jalen is our starter, then something is seriously wrong, and I just don’t see it happening.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The highly emotional and personally insulting posts were a central reason discussions on this topic got nixed during this past season (not the discussion of the QB's per se, as many likely thought).

The decision has been made that the discussion will continue.

If you wish to be a part of that discussion then follow TideFans posting policies.

Keep it civil and friendly.

There will be no more warnings before I start handing out vacations.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The highly emotional and personally insulting posts were a central reason discussions on this topic got nixed during this past season (not the discussion of the QB's per se, as many likely thought).

The decision has been made that the discussion will continue.

If you wish to be a part of that discussion then follow TideFans posting policies.

Keep it civil and friendly

There will be no more warnings before I start handing out vacations.
Full banjeaux for you, sir!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
It's hard to see it that way, though you are not the first to say that lately.

Bama was behind UGA 13-0 at the half, they had a lead vs AU with 3:00 til the 4th quarter. After AU took the lead, Bama had the following 3 possessions:a good return and moved to the AU 12 and fumbled; moved 40+ yards to the AU 33 and gained 3 on 4th and 4; then moved 40+ yards as deep as the AU 30 and turned it over on downs. Yea, they looked embarrassingly incompetent on one of those, but they were leading late in the 3rd, then moved the ball on all 3 possessions following falling behind.

It's just not true that Jalen didn't move the team or that it was obvious that Saban should have replaced him with Tua. Not only the facts I mentioned above speak differently, but at that time Jalen was a 24-1 QB who had one of his biggest clutch passing efforts in Bama's previous SEC game vs MSU. Really, it would have been close to ridiculous to replace him. It was nothing like the UGA game. Full disclosure: I have been on record numerous times stating that Tua is superior to Jalen in every way as a passing QB and is almost as good a runner in a different way - just a far superior QB overall. So superior that IMO, Jalen has no chance to catch him. But some of the retrospective is way off the mark. It's unfair to Jalen and CNS - and uninformed.

Certainly agree that "I'm just ready for the season...to start to see what Tua can do!"
Jalen had 65 yards passing when the barn took over for good. He only finished with 122 or so yards period passing. So he finished roughly going 6 of 14 for 57 more yards. I still say that's a QB that is not moving the ball and still say Tua should have come in.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Jalen had 65 yards passing when the barn took over for good. He only finished with 122 or so yards period passing. So he finished roughly going 6 of 14 for 57 more yards. I still say that's a QB that is not moving the ball and still say Tua should have come in.
We were one dimensional with Jalen as QB and Georgia was focused on that one dimension. When Tua came in it open up the play book. UGA had to respect his passing ability which made the run game effective. Bama didn't beat UGA because they were unprepared for a different QB. They simply could not stop our offense that was being executed the way it was designed.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Most of Jalen's passing yards came in that Cam Sims catch and run from what I remember? The fact that game just kinda "got away from us" in the late stages of the 3rd quarter instead of being a 60-minute beatdown like what they handed to UGA says a lot about the quality of our roster. Especially considering that the defense was beleaguered with injuries.

We were a few plays in the 3rd quarter from maybe taking a tenuous control over the game despite no passing game and a bunch of backups and recovering players on defense.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Most of Jalen's passing yards came in that Cam Sims catch and run from what I remember? The fact that game just kinda "got away from us" in the late stages of the 3rd quarter instead of being a 60-minute beatdown like what they handed to UGA says a lot about the quality of our roster. Especially considering that the defense was beleaguered with injuries.

We were a few plays in the 3rd quarter from maybe taking a tenuous control over the game despite no passing game and a bunch of backups and recovering players on defense.
No joke! We had our B team out there on D and still had a chance had our O moved the ball at all. Tua makes 2-3 throws like we know he could and we win that game.

How anyone can think we would/could come back with Jalen baffles me.

rgw, yes. I think the last play was a 65 yard pass to Sims and gave Jalen HALF his passing yards (for the whole game) on one play.

BiB, where I come from that's NOT moving the offense and is considered inept.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
CNS's open mic comment......."Two years. I mean the third-team quarterback can move the team right down the field throwing the ball." If we are talking about a QB that can execute the whole play book then I am not sure that right now Jalen is even #2.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
CNS's open mic comment......."Two years. I mean the third-team quarterback can move the team right down the field throwing the ball." If we are talking about a QB that can execute the whole play book then I am not sure that right now Jalen is even #2.
Regretfully, I have to agree.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My point all along has been "it ain't over until Saban says it's over".
There's not one person who has posted in this thread who believes without a shadow of doubt that Tua is better/will play more than Jalen/eventually takes over the position who doesn't agree that CNS has the final say.

Your comment seems to suggests there's some unseen or unheard knowledge about Jalen that we aren't considering that CNS has knowledge of that will suddenly make Jalen more desirable and a better fit for the position.

Of course, I'm not saying we know more than CNS, but unless Tua has an attitude problem or something real negative that only CNS knows, it's pretty much an open book on the two as quarterback prospects. Shoot, I'm even of the persuasion that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with Tua's talent and even at that it doesn't seem like there's much hope for Jalen to be the #1 QB. Based on the A-Day game and CNS's comments on the hot mic, he might even be looking up at Jones ahead of him.

So yes, CNS has the final say, and I don't think it would surprise anybody if he ran Jalen out as "the starter" against Louisville, but I don't think even the strongest advocate of Jalen on this board believes he's "the starter" for more than the first game.

At some point football 101 must rule the day. That's how simple I think this is. If it doesn't work out this way, I'll admit I was wrong. But what would it take at this point for Jalen to actually beat Tua out and lead this team that has not been previously on display?

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If you look back at my posts in this thread you will see I agreed that Tua is the more talented QB, never once questioned this. We also know CNS is loyal to his starters who he trusts, sometimes possibly to a fault. I guess I have felt all along that Tua will be the QB, but hope Jalen transfers to a program where he can develop his skills as a QB or in another position and get playing time rather than mop up duty.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
If you look back at my posts in this thread you will see I agreed that Tua is the more talented QB, never once questioned this. We also know CNS is loyal to his starters who he trusts, sometimes possibly to a fault. I guess I have felt all along that Tua will be the QB, but hope Jalen transfers to a program where he can develop his skills as a QB or in another position and get playing time rather than mop up duty.
You have been and appear to be consistent in all things. I tend to believe that we are just over sixty days out from seeing what is going to happen on the field. The guy in charge is going to take the input of his coaches and manage his way through it as he judges is best for the team. I am looking forward to getting on the bus and enjoying the journey.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
You have been and appear to be consistent in all things. I tend to believe that we are just over sixty days out from seeing what is going to happen on the field. The guy in charge is going to take the input of his coaches and manage his way through it as he judges is best for the team. I am looking forward to getting on the bus and enjoying the journey.
68 days.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.