Alabama QB competition article

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Re: Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

Now that Tua has taken over the starting position at quarterback I hope Jalen can be used on plays he will be good at. We know he is not a pure passer like Tua...it’s time to use him on running plays that allows him to shine. Heck, I don’t care if he runs the wishbone...just use him in a way the other team has to prepare for his skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wouldn't opposing defensive coaches get a clue about that?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Re: Saban names Tua starter for Saturday. Also comments on Hurts

I was thinking it's possible that Saban created this QB competition because he didn't want to come across to some as being ungrateful for Jalen's contribution to the team the past two seasons. If he would have named Tua the starter early on it might have appeared that way because he would be dumping a guy that was 26-2 over one bad half of football, although Bama fans know Jalen struggled other games. The way he decided to handle it was by giving Jalen every opportunity to keep his job thus showing gratitude. So maybe all this was for optics. Saban probably felt long ago that Tua was the starter and thought it would look better to phase Jalen out gradually rather than suddenly.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

I think he is trying to protect Jalen while providing all the available options - which are, probably, play in every game, or set up to redshirt unless there is injury or need.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

Najee. Herbstreit highlighted that as a difference between the two. Said it was 6 if Tua is in the game.

NM not with debating.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008

This will naturally come to a head and Jalen is going to be forced to address this with CNS. If he tells coach he doesn't want to play beyond the four game RS rule then my guess is Mac Jones immediately becomes the backup and begins taking all the backup reps.
Bingo!!!!

Saban always has a backup plan and a tertiary plan and so forth. Until he knows Jalen’s “end game” he is left to his primary backup plan being in question. He likes to have all his ducks in a row and already know his moves before he has to make them. This is why he is the greatest. He is planning today for moves he will make 2 years from now.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017

Actually, I have read many accounts that Joe Namath was a very good runner till he blew out his knee. By at least one account he was also All State in basketball as well as football, and received offers from several major league baseball teams. So all around great athlete.
Yes he had some serious wheels before the knee injury. Scratch golfer as well. Allstar in everything he did....including dating!!!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

I really don't think that anyone wanted to "Vilify" anyone with questions about the QBs. It's obvious that CNS has a "special" relationship with Jalen that he doesn't have with all of his players and he wants to protect him from being "hurt". It's actually the first time I've really seen him do something like this because he "chews out" those DB's and talks about their mistakes with no problem in press conferences and after the half of games. That being said, Í'm glad he ended it with a simple statement about who is starting.

Arky State here we come! RTR!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I really don't think that anyone wanted to "Vilify" anyone with questions about the QBs. It's obvious that CNS has a "special" relationship with Jalen that he doesn't have with all of his players and he wants to protect him from being "hurt". It's actually the first time I've really seen him do something like this because he "chews out" those DB's and talks about their mistakes with no problem in press conferences and after the half of games.
Isn't the entire situation unprecedented though? I can't think of anyone that stayed healthy, started two years, won a major award, and lost his starting job. Certainly not someone thrust into starting as a true freshman, and certainly not someone who stuck with the team even after it appeared he lost his job.

Heck, I've been way more defensive of Hurts than other players, in part because he's had more criticism than other players. It's a unique situation and Hurt's effort and what he gave the team relative to how things are ending up for him is kind of sad. This isn't a guy who didn't do what was asked of him so things didn't work out, this is a guy who did all that, just turned 20, and his career is going backwards. Why wouldn't Saban be protective of him?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Isn't the entire situation unprecedented though? I can't think of anyone that stayed healthy, started two years, won a major award, and lost his starting job. Certainly not someone thrust into starting as a true freshman, and certainly not someone who stuck with the team even after it appeared he lost his job.

Heck, I've been way more defensive of Hurts than other players, in part because he's had more criticism than other players. It's a unique situation and Hurt's effort and what he gave the team relative to how things are ending up for him is kind of sad. This isn't a guy who didn't do what was asked of him so things didn't work out, this is a guy who did all that, just turned 20, and his career is going backwards. Why wouldn't Saban be protective of him?
And there is some truth to that also!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

NM not with debating.

If you are questioning if it was Najee on the play in question, it definitely was. Saw the exact play in question as I rewatched this morning.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Alabama QB competition article (ALL QB posts here, please)

I've heard others refer to your second point with trepidation..............many are afraid it could cause some talent to leave if he doesn't name one. But Tua may know already he is the starter and the misdirection may be for public consumption. I don't know, just speculating. But I'd hate for the team to go sideways because of any hesitation to name one. He knows who the better one is..............and so do we
The roster is much better with Hurts than with him off the roster. He is trying to keep both QBs; bottom line. The rest is fluff.

We all saw the same thing....Tua is the better QB. We all know what Saban is going to do even if he doesn’t say it directly.

Also, i don’t think Saban owes anybody an explanation just because a bunch of prima donnas don’t like the answer he gives them.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Actually, I have read many accounts that Joe Namath was a very good runner till he blew out his knee. By at least one account he was also All State in basketball as well as football, and received offers from several major league baseball teams. So all around great athlete.
You are right - he was a great athlete. He even played defense in at least 1 game in 63. IIRC, Bama lead a very good (7-2-2) MSU team 20-19 late and were throwing the ball, so Coach Bryant inserted Namath at safety late in the game to help preserve the victory. This was after Namath himself scored the go-ahead TD with ~4 min left in the game.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

The roster is much better with Hurts than with him off the roster. He is trying to keep both QBs; bottom line. The rest is fluff.

We all saw the same thing....Tua is the better QB. We all know what Saban is going to do even if he doesn’t say it directly.

Also, i don’t think Saban owes anybody an explanation just because a bunch or prima donnas don’t like the answer he gives them.

Yeah, I think another poster has stated that he was trying to keep him engaged and on the roster...... and he has too much talent and running
ability to waste.....I still look for him to
be used in different situations.

As to your last point, I agree...... I know he has media obligations, but I said it before....... he doesn’t owe them everything they desire. He doesn’t even owe them roster info......

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017

I don't want to seem like I'm piling on Jalen here but I'm not so sure he's a better runner than Tua as the commentators reflexively say every time Tua runs. I think Tua is quicker, more shifty, and avoids contact better. He makes his moves much later because he's hanging in looking downfield and that lateral quickness allows him to do that. Jalen bails at the first sign of trouble and tries to get the train rolling downhill early. No doubt he's a very powerful runner with his impressive squatting prowess in the weight room though.

The 'Highlight Hawaiian" is our first real Dual Threat QB at Alabama and I'm glad we have him because the SEC West looks to be brutal once again. This was never a close competition and that's more of a testament to Tua than an indictment of Jalen. I don't think the media wanted Saban to praise Tua and "throw shade" at Jalen. I think they just wanted him to confirm the obvious that Tua is the starter and it was baffling and driving the story that he would not before today's press conference.

What's even more frustrating to me is that if Jalen's mediocre play and amazing Bama defense would have pulled out a close one against Georgia we would have lost Tua. It would have been a colossal blunder by Saban to lose a rare talent like Tua. He has not managed this well at all but it looks like he got lucky and it's going to work out and no doubt he will learn from it.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

This will naturally come to a head and Jalen is going to be forced to address this with CNS. If he tells coach he doesn't want to play beyond the four game RS rule then my guess is Mac Jones immediately becomes the backup and begins taking all the backup reps.
I have no inside information whatsoever. But this is exactly what would happen if both Jalen and the team make the best decisions for themselves.

So I think it’s coming, sooner rather than later. For a lot of reasons, Jalen would definitely stay on scholarship through the semester. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t take another snap.

No hard feelings. No animosity. Just both sides making sound business decisions.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

You are right - he was a great athlete. He even played defense in at least 1 game in 63. IIRC, Bama lead a very good (7-2-2) MSU team 20-19 late and were throwing the ball, so Coach Bryant inserted Namath at safety late in the game to help preserve the victory. This was after Namath himself scored the go-ahead TD with ~4 min left in the game.
I've been told that Coach Bryant said that Namath would've been All-American at safety, but he was too valuable as QB to risk playing him on defense, as well.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

Well, I think it's obvious to everyone now who should be the starting QB. This isn't news to most of us and I'm sure Coach Saban figured this out long before we all did. But the idea of Jalen redshirting is interesting. If he tells Coach that's what he wants to do, then we won't see him take another snap. Why would he? He wants to save a year of eligibility so he can transfer rather than do what he can to help the team. If that's the case, he's done. Mac Jones will be QB2 and get the reps in practice and the games, as he should.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

I thought it was interesting that when he named Tua as starter that he said, "We will use Jalen's skill set in anyway that we can to benefit the team."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.