Grammarly fun...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
What gripes my gizzard is continuing confusion about whether to use a singular or plural verb with “Crimson Tide.” This has been previously discussed on here at some point. I believe as a collective noun “Crimson Tide” should be used with a singular verb; such as, “the Tide is moving the ball.” But I continue to hear announcers frequently say “Crimson Tide are ...”
The English construction versus the American.
In the Beatles song, "Only a Northern Song," George Harrison wrote:
When you're listening late at night
You may think the band are not quite right
But they are
They just play it like that.

The members of "the band are not quite right." Sound strange to American ears but the Brits say this all the time.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
He don't know
She don't know

I guess when people say this they cannot hear that it sounds wrong. I suspect if they have heard that all their life it sounds right.

I was taught to use the Oxford comma, although I never heard it called that. It is also referred to as serial comma.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He don't know
She don't know

I guess when people say this they cannot hear that it sounds wrong. I suspect if they have heard that all their life it sounds right.

I was taught to use the Oxford comma, although I never heard it called that. It is also referred to as serial comma.
Actually, "he don't" is another one of those ancient structures. Chaucer used "he ax me."

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
while i generally prefer to use the oxford comma, we were taught the opposite in grade school.

but you probably consider the ap styleguide to be a liberal media manifesto
When I got to high school I had to "unlearn" the Turabian style my dad taught me in order to learn the AP style for research papers.

To this day, I refuse to omit the Oxford comma as one can easily give hundreds of potential, everyday examples where omitting it confuses the meaning of the sentence.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Using “I” in the objective case.

As in, “They went with Jane and I.”

Fingernails on a chalkboard, and I hear it every day from supposedly educated professionals.

Equating “everyday” with “every day.”

The former means ordinary, run of the mill, acceptable but nothing special.

The latter means on a daily basis. I see that in newspaper headlines from what passes today as journalists.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Also mangled use of "would have" in the sense of speculating on future events, given a different outcome of a preceding one.

As in, "If Alabama would have made more free throws, they would have beaten aTm."

For all that is holy, it's, "If Alabama had made more free throws, they would have beaten aTm.

Triple dunce points, and remedial English lessons with Bent Fullwood, for using "would of" instead of "would have" in any context whatsoever.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.