Archaeologists Find 7,000 Native American Burial Ground Underwater

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Before this discovery, they had discovered buried cypress forests on the shelf, but much older, and at a depth of 60', instead of close to the surface. The area of real interest to me is what the archaeologists have named "Doggerland." (Named after the Dogger Bank in Holland.) Once, the English Channel was a broad fertile and inhabited plain and I'm told my genetic profile was common there. Unfortunately, the EC is almost 600' deep and fierce currents came through when it was breached, so it's doubtful anything of value remains, even around the fringes...

Alabama Forest

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
In essence, the Underwater Forest wasn’t like a modern Gulf Coast swamp at all. Instead, it was a forest designed for a colder place.
Even in scientific writing, the urge to use language suggesting a designer persists.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Well, we are "designed" by evolution. I don't think we have to read "intelligent" into it...
To me, the word "design" suggests purposeful intent. I'm unaware of a convenient word that unambiguously captures how evolution is said to work relative to the notion of (intelligent) design. Several come close, but tend to focus on specific aspects, like "undirected" or "emergent" "Random" applies to the nature of mutations, but is decidedly inappropriate when applied to natural selection.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Interesting article regarding the Gulf site.

Anyone identified their long lost relative yet?

"As important as the site is archaeologically, it is crucial that the site and the people buried there are treated with the utmost sensitivity and respect," said Dr. Timothy Parsons, the director of Florida's Division of Historical Resources. "The people buried at the site are the ancestors of America’s living indigenous people. Sites like this have cultural and religious significance in the present day."

In the book, Across Atlantic Ice: The Origin of America's Clovis Culture, (I think recommended by Tidewater a while back), there is plenty of talk about what may lie on and beneath the ocean floor off of the Atlantic coast. Many people lived on the coast and the coast was way our from where it is now.

To me, the word "design" suggests purposeful intent. I'm unaware of a convenient word that unambiguously captures how evolution is said to work relative to the notion of (intelligent) design. Several come close, but tend to focus on specific aspects, like "undirected" or "emergent" "Random" applies to the nature of mutations, but is decidedly inappropriate when applied to natural selection.
What do you think about the author's inference that trees can talk?

That fits right in with what the trees themselves have to say about the world they were growing in.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
What do you think about the author's inference that trees can talk?
That struck me as well, but the metaphor is explained in the following paragraph. I suppose there is some poetic license being taken, but the notion of design is one that is very often taken the wrong way. I don't think anyone actually believed the trees expressed themselves verbally :D

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In the book, Across Atlantic Ice: The Origin of America's Clovis Culture, (I think recommended by Tidewater a while back), there is plenty of talk about what may lie on and beneath the ocean floor off of the Atlantic coast. Many people lived on the coast and the coast was way our from where it is now.
I was wondering if anyone would bring that up.
This burial ground was from about 8,000 years after these genocidal maniacs had murdered the Frenchmen who were living in the eastern United States.
I realize it is far from Columbus Day when such language is normally used.
If underwater archaeologists could find someplace shielded from destructive currents, I'd bet they would find more evidence of the Europeans who skirted Atlantic Ice to hunt in Virginia or what is now the near off-shore area of Virginia, before the Asiatic invaders wiped them out.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was wondering if anyone would bring that up.
This burial ground was from about 8,000 years after these genocidal maniacs had murdered the Frenchmen who were living in the eastern United States.
I realize it is far from Columbus Day when such language is normally used.
If underwater archaeologists could find someplace shielded from destructive currents, I'd bet they would find more evidence of the Europeans who skirted Atlantic Ice to hunt in Virginia or what is now the near off-shore area of Virginia, before the Asiatic invaders wiped them out.
Skrælings!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So the seas were rising even before “global warming” ?

or did this ancient burial ground just go under since we pulled out of the Paris agreement?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.