News Article: JOX ends the Opening Drive with Jay, Al and Tony ...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I didn't think the show was particularly good lately. I'm guessing their contracts were coming up and they decided to move in a different direction (moving the Dunaway, Brown, and Taylor show to 6-10). The Roundtable has been their best show since Paul Finebaum took his show to the big time. This move makes a ton of sense.

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I heard there were contract negotiation failures. I do know the amount t of listeners had declined drastically. The roundtable will fill that time slot and they are searching for a new show from 10-2. I stopped listening to the opening drive years ago.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
Methnks that the opening drive was an expensive show to run, salary wise and the Round Table will be much cheaper. The audience was in decline and they are moving their best show there. Makes sense.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I heard there were contract negotiation failures. I do know the amount t of listeners had declined drastically. The roundtable will fill that time slot and they are searching for a new show from 10-2. I stopped listening to the opening drive years ago.
Was wondering if that was the case. The OD has fallen off a bit but it was still entertaining enough to hold me over as far as sports radio went.

The Roundtable guys really have put a lot into developing the core of what their show is that ended up going beyond the Bama Barner rivalry without losing that element at the same time. it seems like the main format that the OD had was the rivalry and Tony's weird rants. The show kept me entertained but it unfortunately wasn't near what the Roundtable has become

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I hate the Roundtable. I guess I won’t be listening to JOX any more
I hate it too. Much to silly for me. Well, I haven't listened to RoundTable in years, so maybe it has changed. The H'ville station has put that girl who talks so fast I have trouble understanding her in Bill King's old spot, called Double Time or something. I guess I am out of the morning sport radio business.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Was wondering if that was the case. The OD has fallen off a bit but it was still entertaining enough to hold me over as far as sports radio went.

The Roundtable guys really have put a lot into developing the core of what their show is that ended up going beyond the Bama Barner rivalry without losing that element at the same time. it seems like the main format that the OD had was the rivalry and Tony's weird rants. The show kept me entertained but it unfortunately wasn't near what the Roundtable has become
You can't make the show about THE RIVALRY if the rivals on the show have too much dignity and respect for one another to take the gloves off. Office space style sports jabbing just doesn't play in 2018 radio. The audience wants you to roll out the crazies like Finebaum.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It is also a lot easier to cancel a show hosted by two guys who are only doing it as a hobby and the third has another job with the company.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
When I used to live in B'ham and would try to listen in the "off season" (Jan. - July) it was painful when they tried to talk about other sports other than football. But to talk about football in the off season was pretty dry too.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
It was a horrible show. The Roundtable was much better but I'm not sure it could survive with the morning crowd. I would rather see something else in the mornings and keep The Roundtable where it is.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I've seen a lot on Twitter about it being a mistake to move the Roundtable to the 6-10 slot because they'll be competing with Rick and Bubba. Apparently a ton of folks listen to that show.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Never liked the show. Al Del Greco made the most sense of the 3.
I'm with you on this. I know a lot of people think he's an AU homer, but he wasn't any more of a homer than Jay, IMO. TK is a boob and, as much as I like him personally, Jay seemed to be mailing it in (when he was there).

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I'll be curious to see who they get for that time slot. Have they announced that it'll definitely be a local show? I wouldn't mind seeing JPW and/or Cole Cubelic being a part of it. I think they both do a good job when they've been on the OD or Round Table. I think Cubelic lives and has a show in Huntsville and JPW is an investment broker. So, they might not be interested. But, I think they'd be good.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I've seen a lot on Twitter about it being a mistake to move the Roundtable to the 6-10 slot because they'll be competing with Rick and Bubba. Apparently a ton of folks listen to that show.
Maybe I'm the only person on earth who doesn't care for Rick and Bubba. I generally like my humor to be funny.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
I find the Roundtable to be fantastic, a perfect balance of callers, terrific interviews/guests, and the show's personalities. If you haven't listened in a while, I recommend trying it again. They really have something special with that show.

That said, moving it to mornings might be risky, but it could also explode with the move. I've heard some PDs around the state aren't as happy as they used to be with Rick and Bubba. Take that for what it's worth, but that show has become something drastically different from its fun early days over the last few years. As PFC Gump might say: "That's all I'm gonna say about that."

JOX could expand syndication with the RT. I just hope a move like that and this move that has already happened don't change the show. It's terrific.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.