question for the board (relates to recruiting as in Grad transfer)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
If you were a grad transfer or were one at Stanford (you could use any elite academic school in this) and have the chance to transfer to a middle to lower tier SEC , ACC, or Big 12(10) or Big 10 (12) school. Would you rather go there and play or compete for a year or two or stay at Stanford (any elite academic school) and complete a masters degree that is free and be more set in the realm of life with more open doors?

jme

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 1, 2018
If you were a grad transfer or were one at Stanford (you could use any elite academic school in this) and have the chance to transfer to a middle to lower tier SEC , ACC, or Big 12(10) or Big 10 (12) school. Would you rather go there and play or compete for a year or two or stay at Stanford (any elite academic school) and complete a masters degree that is free and be more set in the realm of life with more open doors?
I'm sure most probably think they can make it to the league by transferring to a bigger school and doesn't think about real life after school

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
It depends on what your goals are. Perhaps this person wants to compete at the highest level possible and/or just wants a change of scenery. Plus, if you have an undergraduate degree from Stanford, that would be very impressive so I'm not sure a masters degree from there would really enhance your academic career that much.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I guess it all depends on your primary focus but if it were me, it would be hard to leave an institution that's regarded as an elite academic school and transfer to one that's quite subpar. Now, it also depends on the field if study involved as some schools may not be perceived as an elite but actually have good programs in certain areas of study. So....I would take that into consideration. Having said all this, if I'm not receiving playing time at Stanford,there's no guarantee I would receive it elsewhere. I don't think that's a Gamble I would personally take.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Depends on what Keller Chryst wants and the schools looking at him.

Solely looking for playing time? Go wherever you feel comfortable.

Does winning matter? If so, I'm not sure I would go to a middle of the pack program that doesn't look to be a real contender for a division or conference title.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
If I had my undergraduate from Stanford and sitting on the pine and had a better shot at being the starting quarterback at Tennessee (or insert any other mid level SEC program) sure I would transfer. Experiencing Saturdays in the South and the doors which would open from being the starting quarterback any program in the SEC in my opinion trumps a masters degree from Stanford. Every SEC school has VIP alumni and more times than not it is who you know rather than what you know.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He is a 55% passer at a school that runs a very simple offense. Unless he improves dramatically, he will not make it in the NFL.

He got a liberal arts degree in "Science, Technology, and Society", whatever that is. In other words, it's not like he got an engineering degree from Stanford, so education does not seem to have been his primary motivation in choosing Stanford.

It seems to me that he is really focused on the NFL. I guess we will see how much he can improve, but those SEC defenses are a lot tougher than the defenses that he faced out west.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It depends on what your goals are. Perhaps this person wants to compete at the highest level possible and/or just wants a change of scenery. Plus, if you have an undergraduate degree from Stanford, that would be very impressive so I'm not sure a masters degree from there would really enhance your academic career that much.
As others have said, depends on personal life goals. In some professional fields, a masters is an entry level degree. Most executive level positions in just about any field require a graduate degree. In a highly competitive field, I would submit that a graduate degree from an institution such as Stanford, as opposed to one acquired from one of the plethora of essentially on line institutions, would carry more weight. All things being essentially equal experience wise with two candidates for a senior level position, it would with me as a hiring manager.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
He is a 55% passer at a school that runs a very simple offense. Unless he improves dramatically, he will not make it in the NFL.

He got a liberal arts degree in "Science, Technology, and Society", whatever that is. In other words, it's not like he got an engineering degree from Stanford, so education does not seem to have been his primary motivation in choosing Stanford.

It seems to me that he is really focused on the NFL. I guess we will see how much he can improve, but those SEC defenses are a lot tougher than the defenses that he faced out west.
Facebook/Instagram/SnapChat User :biggrin2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As others have said, depends on personal life goals. In some professional fields, a masters is an entry level degree. Most executive level positions in just about any field require a graduate degree. In a highly competitive field, I would submit that a graduate degree from an institution such as Stanford, as opposed to one acquired from one of the plethora of essentially on line institutions, would carry more weight. All things being essentially equal experience wise with two candidates for a senior level position, it would with me as a hiring manager.
Interesting comment. I have never considered the school attended when deciding between candidates. In fact, school attended has only ever been used by me in an effort to connect with a candidate and draw them out in an interview. I have no doubt that others feel as you do, but I just don't understand it. If the two candidates have had equal success in their careers, how does a degree from one school over another carry more weight? Clearly the person who went to the "lesser" school has not been limited in any way by their college choice, so why would someone assume that their future success would differ based on same? It's like saying that when two candidates are in every other way the same, I hire the one with brown hair because people with brown hair are smarter than people with blonde hair.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Interesting comment. I have never considered the school attended when deciding between candidates. In fact, school attended has only ever been used by me in an effort to connect with a candidate and draw them out in an interview. I have no doubt that others feel as you do, but I just don't understand it. If the two candidates have had equal success in their careers, how does a degree from one school over another carry more weight? Clearly the person who went to the "lesser" school has not been limited in any way by their college choice, so why would someone assume that their future success would differ based on same? It's like saying that when two candidates are in every other way the same, I hire the one with brown hair because people with brown hair are smarter than people with blonde hair.
To take it a step further you could infer that the person with the degree from lower tier school has over come more adversity and may have had a much harder road/path to success.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I`ve had occasions, albeit far from common mind you, in selection processes in which there`s been little difference in experience, levels of past success, etc., etc. between candidates. That left me to make determinations that were admittedly based on more subjective things. For example, as best I could tell, which would be a better fit " chemistry wise " with the rest of the team? Also, again admittedly somewhat imprecise, but where someone may have trained and how rigorous their program may have been might give an indication of likelihood of success. It`s really a crapshoot sometimes!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I`ve had occasions, albeit far from common mind you, in selection processes in which there`s been little difference in experience, levels of past success, etc., etc. between candidates. That left me to make determinations that were admittedly based on more subjective things. For example, as best I could tell, which would be a better fit " chemistry wise " with the rest of the team? Also, again admittedly somewhat imprecise, but where someone may have trained and how rigorous their program may have been might give an indication of likelihood of success. It`s really a crapshoot sometimes!
Agreed - when candidates are very close I generally choose the more likable of the two. The ability to work well with others is critical. I have walked away from great candidates who I did not think would work well with the rest of the team, even when they were clearly more qualified than the rest of the field.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
If I had my undergraduate from Stanford and sitting on the pine and had a better shot at being the starting quarterback at Tennessee (or insert any other mid level SEC program) sure I would transfer. Experiencing Saturdays in the South and the doors which would open from being the starting quarterback any program in the SEC in my opinion trumps a masters degree from Stanford. Every SEC school has VIP alumni and more times than not it is who you know rather than what you know.
I understand what your saying but I will point out prothro as an example for this. He graduated from here and was a great player but can’t find a decent job despite this. I believe he is working as a bank teller or car lot guy now. IMO you have more value staying at Stanford getting your graduate degree which does open more doors in the business world than most other schools can.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I understand what your saying but I will point out prothro as an example for this. He graduated from here and was a great player but can’t find a decent job despite this. I believe he is working as a bank teller or car lot guy now. IMO you have more value staying at Stanford getting your graduate degree which does open more doors in the business world than most other schools can.
In August 2008, Prothro received his bachelor's degree in the College of Human and Environmental Sciences. I'm not sure what doors that opens.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In August 2008, Prothro received his bachelor's degree in the College of Human and Environmental Sciences. I'm not sure what doors that opens.
I think that most people simply overlook this aspect. The free college education is only valuable if you take it seriously while in school. Not everyone needs to get an engineering degree, but some degrees, even from schools like Stanford, have almost no value on the job market. That isn't to say that you need a sophisticated degree to land a good job, but you have to be well rounded and have great communication skills to overcome some of these degree programs offered to athletes.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Agreed - when candidates are very close I generally choose the more likable of the two. The ability to work well with others is critical. I have walked away from great candidates who I did not think would work well with the rest of the team, even when they were clearly more qualified than the rest of the field.
B1G, One of the things I`ve told younger managers that I use in evaluating candidates is a question that I ask myself, " Could I be in a car alone with this person for 8 hours and at the end of that time not want to kill them and push their body out of the car and onto the side of the road ? " . I`m only kidding a little when I tell them that !

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Exactly so.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.