Insane Number of Robo Calls - Are you getting them too?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A coworker was talking about a very similar thing yesterday. He said they are coming home every night with their answering machine full of messages of irate people cussing and ranting telling them to “stop calling me!!”

He said it’s been an every day thing for several months and he thinks it may stem back to when he went on a Home improver website that is supposed to link you up with reputable contractors in your area to do home repairs. I’m not sure of the exact site.

I’ve had people contact my daughter (who’s cell number is our old land line number we swapped over 10 or more years ago) asking for me, and when she would say “No...I can give you his number”, they would hang up. It usually is a 205 area code, and when I would call back, it would either give a busy signal, or just go dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are a lot of spam/scam calls originating (apparently) out of 205. I assume, when they spoof numbers, they think you'd be more likely to answer an adjacent area code. However, now they just spoof 256...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
i read something the other day that the callers/spammers are spoofing local numbers so that you will be more likely to pick up. i get 2-3 per day from local numbers. i use the i-phone 7 on t mobile and on about 1/2-2/3 of the calls it comes up "scam likely"
Yup, I even got a call from myself once last year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
No great motivation to fix this problem for telephone providers. Regulations are good but they're never fleet-footed enough to stay up on the trends.

I truly do not know how you fix this problem without a top-to-bottom architectural change with how telecom works. Likely it would mean the end of the 10-digit telephone number.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.