Everything we wished for the Tide is happening on the other side of the state.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
On Coleman: Is there anyway to basically gut the interior and rearrange the court and rebuild the seating structure?

I imagine the answer is "no" based on the concrete base of the stands.

But if the place can't be reconfigured, I don't see how it can be improved very much beyond the current status.
I think the Athletic dept is more concerned with luxury boxes, and getting the students closer, not the average fans who pay the freight for the program.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Something with which I was unaware and heard on the Roundtable: the 5 wins this year over ranked teams, is the most in program history. 5-2

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In comparison of Alabama's and Auburns OOC schedule, theirs was not good. It was probably one of the worst in the conference, if not the country. We'd likely have won 2 or 3 more games with their schedule. I think CAJ may have scheduled too aggressively in his OOC schedule with such a young team in need of games to build their confidence. Auburn's quadrant 1 wins must be primarily in the conference.
According to Warren Nolan, Alabama's SOS is 6 (NC SOS is 28) while Auburn's SOS is 40 (NC SOS is 68).

TeamRankings had the 2016-2017 Auburn schedule at 68 while having the 2017-2018 Alabama schedule at 28.

Not discrediting Auburn, but is there any argument Alabama would have a better record with their schedules?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
According to Warren Nolan, Alabama's SOS is 6 (NC SOS is 28) while Auburn's SOS is 40 (NC SOS is 68).

TeamRankings had the 2016-2017 Auburn schedule at 68 while having the 2017-2018 Alabama schedule at 28.

Not discrediting Auburn, but is there any argument Alabama would have a better record with their schedules?
Heard another poster say they thought with AU's schedule we'd have 2-3 more wins.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

OOC schedule aside, our conference record and five game losing streak is our downfall. We could have been undefeated OOC with an easier schedule, but if the conference games played out like this, our situation would be nearly identical, because the extra wins vs Quaker State would’ve crushed our RPI and SOS. We’d still be on the wrong side.

Auburn rolled in conference, we did not

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
OOC schedule aside, our conference record and five game losing streak is our downfall. We could have been undefeated OOC with an easier schedule, but if the conference games played out like this, our situation would be nearly identical, because the extra wins vs Quaker State would’ve crushed our RPI and SOS. We’d still be on the wrong side.

Auburn rolled in conference, we did not
Not sure how wrong you can be ? If Bama was 21-10, 8-10 in the SEC, having replaced the 4 OOC losses with decent but more beatable teams, they would be a lock for the tournament. You simply refuse to acknowledge whatever good CAJ has done. You refuse to acknowledge how much more productive, despite the similar records, this Bama team has been than AU's 16-17 team. And this year's SEC is far better than last's (the SEC schedule obviously factors more into the SOS than the OOC). Possibly with one win, definitely with two, this Bama team is in - last year's AU team was miles from even being given a thought.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Not sure how wrong you can be ? If Bama was 21-10, 8-10 in the SEC, having replaced the 4 OOC losses with decent but more beatable teams, they would be a lock for the tournament. You simply refuse to acknowledge whatever good CAJ has done. You refuse to acknowledge how much more productive, despite the similar records, this Bama team has been than AU's 16-17 team. And this year's SEC is far better than last's (the SEC schedule obviously factors more into the SOS than the OOC). Possibly with one win, definitely with two, this Bama team is in - last year's AU team was miles from even being given a thought.
Okay....I'm wrong. So, either you are blaming Avery for having scheduled too tough a schedule OR giving him credit for it. You can't have both. If we were 8-10 in conference with a mediocre OOC schedule? We wouldn't be a lock at all......we would be Miss State. They are 21-10 and 9-9 in conference. They were 12-1 OOC and they aren't sniffing the dance. So -- not sure where you think I'm wrong. If we wimped out and played an easier OOC -- we wouldn't be in either. We collapsed in conference, late, etc.

Us in or out, or Auburn in or out has nothing to do with the OOC schedules. It's our performance in conference that sunk us....

Avery did everything right (schedule-wise) to get us in the dance. It's about as good as we could have hoped for (kudos to him for the schedule) --

And how would you only change out the 4 OOC losses? How would you know which ones we would lose to? You either schedule tough, or don't, but to say "if we had scheduled beatable teams -- instead of UCF, Arizona, Minnesota, and Texas...." UCF, Minnesota and Texas were quite beatable.....we just lost those games due to poor play and questionable officiating (and craziness vs Minnesota)

But, the post Christmas game play - not so good

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Okay....I'm wrong. So, either you are blaming Avery for having scheduled too tough a schedule OR giving him credit for it. You can't have both. If we were 8-10 in conference with a mediocre OOC schedule? We wouldn't be a lock at all......we would be Miss State. They are 21-10 and 9-9 in conference. They were 12-1 OOC and they aren't sniffing the dance. So -- not sure where you think I'm wrong. If we wimped out and played an easier OOC -- we wouldn't be in either. We collapsed in conference, late, etc.

Us in or out, or Auburn in or out has nothing to do with the OOC schedules. It's our performance in conference that sunk us....

Avery did everything right (schedule-wise) to get us in the dance. It's about as good as we could have hoped for (kudos to him for the schedule) --

And how would you only change out the 4 OOC losses? How would you know which ones we would lose to? You either schedule tough, or don't, but to say "if we had scheduled beatable teams -- instead of UCF, Arizona, Minnesota, and Texas...." UCF, Minnesota and Texas were quite beatable.....we just lost those games due to poor play and questionable officiating (and craziness vs Minnesota)

Mississippi State's OOC SOS is 293 on Warren Nolan. What if we played Arkansas' OOC schedule of 87 and went 11-2 like Arkansas? Even at 8-10 in conference, Alabama is in the tournament.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
My point on the OOC scheduling is this, if we schedule 2 or 3 more winnable games, I think this teams confidence would have lead us to a better record in the conference. Scheduling is difficult because you never know who is going to be good and who isn't. Minnesota is a game we probably win if we have our whole team playing. If we do not get in, the UCF game will be the loss that haunts us. We had at least equal or better talent than UGA, Vandy, Ole Miss, and Missouri. This could be a talent verses experience question against those teams though since almost all of them had senior leaders.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Mississippi State's OOC SOS is 293 on Warren Nolan. What if we played Arkansas' OOC schedule of 87 and went 11-2 like Arkansas? Even at 8-10 in conference, Alabama is in the tournament.
But Arkansas is 10-8 --

So, you can't borrow their OOC schedule and ignore their conference. You are piecemeal-ing 3 or 4 arguments into one team that doesn't exist. If we had Arkansas' OOC schedule and then went 8-10 like we are now -- we still don't make it in. Because we have lost 5 in a row -- our RPI would be worse than it is now, and we wouldn't have the quadrant 1 and 2 wins we have.

Show me a team that's safely in the tournament with an 8-10 conference record after losing the last 5 -- like we did -- and I'll be happy to consider your arguments. But, this team is not on the bubble because of their OOC. Not sure why you keep arguing otherwise.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
But Arkansas is 10-8 --

So, you can't borrow their OOC schedule and ignore their conference. You are piecemeal-ing 3 or 4 arguments into one team that doesn't exist. If we had Arkansas' OOC schedule and then went 8-10 like we are now -- we still don't make it in. Because we have lost 5 in a row -- our RPI would be worse than it is now, and we wouldn't have the quadrant 1 and 2 wins we have.

Show me a team that's safely in the tournament with an 8-10 conference record after losing the last 5 -- like we did -- and I'll be happy to consider your arguments. But, this team is not on the bubble because of their OOC. Not sure why you keep arguing otherwise.
Who is making this argument?

You made the ridiculous claim that Alabama would be Mississippi State's shoes if we had a weaker OOC schedule. I simply pointed out how weak their schedule is (there's a reason their RPI is 72 while Alabama's is 56) and suggested making the comparison to Arkansas's OOC schedule.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Who is making this argument?

You made the ridiculous claim that Alabama would be Mississippi State's shoes if we had a weaker OOC schedule. I simply pointed out how weak their schedule is (there's a reason their RPI is 72 while Alabama's is 56) and suggested making the comparison to Arkansas's OOC schedule.
But you can't take part of one argument and ignore the rest. If we had a weaker OOC - we wouldn't have the strength to overcome an 8-10 in conference record. And we would have a much worse RPI. What do you think is propping up our RPI as it is? A tougher OOC...... We would be Miss State.....in the sense that we still wouldn't be in the dance. Again -- for the 15th time -- we are on the bubble NOT because of our OOC, but because have lost 5 in a row -- simple as that.

5 games ago we were a 7 seed and rising -- so, arguing that this is an OOC issue is nuts. And pointless....so, once again, you can win -- but geez....at least argue the facts, not what could have been if....... because that's the game you seem to be playing.

I'm now getting into pointless sparring territory - so I'm checking out of the thread.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
But you can't take part of one argument and ignore the rest. If we had a weaker OOC - we wouldn't have the strength to overcome an 8-10 in conference record. And we would have a much worse RPI. What do you think is propping up our RPI as it is? A tougher OOC...... We would be Miss State.....in the sense that we still wouldn't be in the dance.
Again, State's OOC is so weak that you can't even make that comparison.

Again -- for the 15th time -- we are on the bubble NOT because of our OOC, but because have lost 5 in a row -- simple as that.
No one is arguing this, and no one has argued it the previous 14 times you said it.
5 games ago we were a 7 seed and rising -- so, arguing that this is an OOC issue is nuts. And pointless....so, once again, you can win -- but geez....at least argue the facts, not what could have been if....... because that's the game you seem to be playing.
If you recall, this all started because you claim Auburn got better faster than Alabama and threw up the records as proof. Some of us believe our OOC has been much stronger, which has played a role in the records being what they are. That's where OOC SOS came in - you talking solely about a team's record without considering their opponent's.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I think we are talking past each other, but you are the one who said if Bama's had gone 11-0 in the OOC with a weaker sched, it wouldn't matter. I was simply offering a slightly weaker OOC that would yield 11-0. I.e., if Bama had just a decent OOC, not the strong one like it had, and was undefeated, it would make the tourney with this SEC record. They're almost in anyway. If they were just 11-2, having beaten UTx and UCF, they would be in. We are talking about hypotheticals.

Certainly, the a 5 game streak is a problem, but not alone, other losses matter.

But we are comparing last years' AU team to this Bama team. Though the records are similar, there is not comparison to the two teams. This Bama team beat 5 ranked teams for the first time in program history, AU lost to the only 4 that they played. This SEC is far tougher than last year. You keep insisting that the two seasons are the same because the records are similar. This Bama season is far superior.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
If I can start a congratulatory thread for Auburn, I can sure as fire congratulate our team on beating them convincingly six days later. Collin has found his jump shot and is quietly(?) becoming a rebounding asset. Who cares if the assists are down and that we have much more of an Allen Iverson than a John Stockton for the next few games...? The season has become very simple. We're in the hands of Sexton, and he's capable and making some more noise before hanging up the Crimson. If Hall can come back, and Galin can grow his confidence, and with some role help from Dazon and Braxton... that gives us a chance against a lot of teams. I'm so glad we've gotten eyes on ending this manic depressive season on an upswing!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.