What's your take on Tennessee this season?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I should let this go, but I won't.

Part of my Nebraska grudge (and for those who don't know, I actually ATTENDED UNMC through the military program at Fort Sam Houston and have 95 credit hours from the University of Nebraska) goes back to an Internet post from 2006 by a Nebraska schmo.

I'm thinking it was on HuskerMax and trust me - I've looked for it.

But in 2006.....right as they thought they were about to become a big deal again......one of their vocal bozos made a comment about how he didn't want Nebraska to become irrelevant or a "has been" like Alabama, who did nothing but live on glory days that ended long ago.

It was very shortly after this post we fired the head coach and hired the right one.......but the utter audacity of the comment has stuck with me for years.

I mean, was Nebraska "really" relevant after Tom Osborne left? Yeah, they had a few good teams, but they were worse for REAL than our REPUTATION is.

They fired a homegrown product who had given his blood and everything for that program because a 9-3 season was unacceptable.

I realize 9-3 would be a bad year for us, but we've never fired a coach after a 9-win season that I'm aware of.

Bill Curry left after a ten-win season on his own accord. So did Dennis Franchione. While I'll grant there may have been some back door politics
to dispose of Ray Perkins, he left for the NFL, where he had been both a player and a coach.

In fact, the only head coaches we've actually FIRED in my lifetime are Shula and Price, the former because he had no plan for improvement and the latter
because he.....had no plan for personal improvement.

Yes, Dubious would have been fired but.....3-9........and two losing seasons in four years when you inherited a 10-win division champion......

Nebraska fired Solich after a 9-3 season because it wasn't good enough, and I don't think they've had a season that good since then.

So....WHO is irrelevant again?

(I'm sorry, but it was in what seemed a rather thoughtful - not snide - post, so it didn't set well with me at all).
I lived in Nebraska for 6 years and they are one of the most delusional and obnoxious fanbases ive ever seen in my life.

The biggest problem aside from recruiting is the ridiculous amount of access the average fan has to the program. 80% of the state is within a 45 minute radius of each other so knowing someone with connections is not rare at all. Imagine Friday Night Lights kinda instances when fans can bust into coaches offices unannounced because their cousin knows a guy in the athletic department. That actually happens, and that is a huge reason Pelini got so hostile with the fan base.

Scott Frost is in for a rude awakening if he thinks he is in control.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I suspect the Vol talent is spotty and thin. 7 is my view of their ceiling and they may need some luck to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Firing Solich after going 9-3 is where Nebraska started their downward spiral. After him, Callahan was a horrible fit and then Pelini was a disaster. Mike Riley didn't fit their culture. I'm not sure who can win there. Frost is a legend and Nebraska native but what happens when he dosen't win enough ?

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
To me, this discussion regarding recruiting and schedule misses the elephant in the room. The AD is Phat Phil, a world class snake and back stabber, someone who has amply demonstrated an ability to use all tactics he can to get what he wants. And Phil really wants to run the UT football program again. Look for Phats to take every opportunity to interfere, undercut Pruitt and do all he can to make him fail. I predict Pruitt will be hamstrung by Fulmer to the point where he will be fired in the middle of the 2019 or at the latest 2020 seasons. Phats will announce the firing and appoint himself interim head coach for the rest of the season. And if he can, he will get the BOT to make that permanent at the end of the season.

I would not want to be in Pruitt's shoes.

Last edited:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Living up here in Tennessee sure has been great the last 10 or 11 years. Tennessee fans pretty much stay in hibernation until they think they are going to do something. It's funny really...you can find almost every fan base but Tennessee when they are sub par. I think most of them know next year won't be their year to shine, however, I look for them to be in full frontal force in 2019.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
To me, this discussion regarding recruiting and schedule misses the elephant in the room. The AD is Phat Phil, a world class snake and back stabber, someone who has amply demonstrated an ability to use all tactics he can to get what he wants. And Phil really wants to run the UT football program again. Look for Phats to take every opportunity to interfere, undercut Pruitt and do all he can to make him fail. I predict Pruitt will be hamstrung by Fulmer to the point where he will be fired in the middle of the 2019 or at the latest 2020 seasons. Phats will announce the firing and appoint himself interim head coach for the rest of the season. And if he can, he will get the BOT to make that permanent at the end of the season.

It will be interesting to see how the situation with Fat Phil works out. He is a Tennessee man through and through but he has done them as much harm as good when it comes to their program. He and Roy Kramer tried to get Alabama the death penalty only to have us hire Nick Saban as a direct result. That hire has led to 11 straight wins over Tennessee and a dynasty no one saw coming. A huge losing streak to Florida added in didn't help. It also led to Tennessee going through the worst period in the history in the history of their football program. Is Pruitt the right guy to lead them back to the promised land ? Who knows. But the guy who created a lot of their current issues is their new athletic director. Karma is indeed a ......

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Sept. 1 West Virginia Charlotte, N.C. Loss
Sept. 8 ETSU Knoxville, Tenn. Win
Sept. 15 UTEP. Knoxville, Tenn. Win
Sept. 22 Florida Knoxville, Tenn. Loss
Sept. 29 Georgia Athens, Ga. Loss
Oct. 13 Auburn Auburn, Ala. Loss
Oct. 20 Alabama Knoxville, Tenn. Loss
Oct. 27 South Carolina Columbia, S.C. Loss
Nov. 3 Charlotte Knoxville, Tenn Win
Nov. 10 Kentucky Knoxville, Tenn. Win
Nov. 17 Missouri Knoxville, Tenn. Loss
Nov. 24 at Vanderbilt Nashville, Tenn. Win

I see a 5-7 record. I may turn out to be completely wrong. But I think Pruitt will look back and wished he would have stayed one more year as Bama's DC and bypassed taking the UcheaT gig. I don't believe this turns out as beneficial on his coaching resume.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Losing a lot of players. Could be good or bad.

Tennessee:

RB John Kelly (Early Draft)
DT Khalil McKenzie (Early Draft)
DB Shaq Wiggins
DB Justin Martin
DB Emmanuel Mosley
DB Rashaan Gaulden (Early Draft)
LB Cortez McDowell
DB Todd Kelly Jr.
K Aaron Medley
WR Josh Smith
DB Evan Berry
DL Kendall Vickers
LB Elliott Berry
LB Colton Jumper
OL Coleman Thomas
OL Brett Kendrick
OL Jason Robertson
TE Ethan Wolf
P Trevor Daniel

*WR Jauan Jennings' status is pending

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

You could be right, but it's hard for me to believe that Fulmer is planning such a coup - and I have no respect for or trust in PF. If not, Pruitt may have a chance if they give him 5 years: Pruitt is driven and smart and Nashville is growing. If you're right, they are dead as a program for another 10-20 years, according to how quickly they rid themselves of the cancer.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

Tennessee:

DB Shaq Wiggins
DB Justin Martin
DB Emmanuel Mosley
LB Cortez McDowell
DB Todd Kelly Jr.
K Aaron Medley
WR Josh Smith
DB Evan Berry
DL Kendall Vickers
LB Elliott Berry
LB Colton Jumper
OL Coleman Thomas
OL Brett Kendrick
OL Jason Robertson
TE Ethan Wolf
P Trevor Daniel

I think I read where OL Trey Smith (their one stud on the line if I have his name right) also left the team recently.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I think I read where OL Trey Smith (their one stud on the line if I have his name right) also left the team recently.
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee offensive lineman Trey Smith, arguably the Vols’ best returning player, is dealing with a medical condition that places his status as ‘out indefinitely’ according to a source.
The non-orthopedic issue was diagnosed earlier this month.
It seems unlikely at this point that Smith could be cleared in time for the start of spring drills. Smith could return for the start of fall drills if the treatment he is undergoing is effective.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-vols-trey-smith-injury-medical-issue

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
On defense they gave up 29 points a game last year. On offense they only averaged 20. Not a recipe for success.

However, depending on their defensive talent level, you'd think that Pruit would probably get their defense giving up fewer points per game.

The real question is can their offense find a way to score more points. They had one stretch during the middle of the year when they scored 0 points against Georgia, 9 against SC and 7 against us (and we remember how they got those 7 points).

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It will be interesting to see how the situation with Fat Phil works out. He is a Tennessee man through and through but he has done them as much harm as good when it comes to their program. He and Roy Kramer tried to get Alabama the death penalty only to have us hire Nick Saban as a direct result. That hire has led to 11 straight wins over Tennessee and a dynasty no one saw coming. A huge losing streak to Florida added in didn't help. It also led to Tennessee going through the worst period in the history in the history of their football program. Is Pruitt the right guy to lead them back to the promised land ? Who knows. But the guy who created a lot of their current issues is their new athletic director. Karma is indeed a ......
I was thinking about Phil today. Once he was the Vol fans hero. Then ...... Vol fans wanted him gone. He was fired. Now, risen from the ashes stands SuperPhil. This is funny when you think about it. Imagine Bama bringing back Dubose as AD, or Fran.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
On defense they gave up 29 points a game last year. On offense they only averaged 20. Not a recipe for success.

However, depending on their defensive talent level, you'd think that Pruit would probably get their defense giving up fewer points per game.

The real question is can their offense find a way to score more points. They had one stretch during the middle of the year when they scored 0 points against Georgia, 9 against SC and 7 against us (and we remember how they got those 7 points).
I don't know who posted it last week, but one of our members posted they don't have a quarterback in place for next season and there isn't one of worth on campus right now. In today's game, outside of being an "Alabama", you HAVE TO HAVE an above average QB to even compete in today's game. Again, I may eat my words before it's all said and done. But I believe Pruitt will ultimately regret taking this job.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The Vols are expected to shift from former coach Butch Jones' spread offense to a more pro-style, power-run scheme, the type that Chryst ran at Stanford. Guarantano and McBride came to Knoxville as dual-threat QBs and haven't experienced much success.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...er-chryst-transfer/11yl4d7i6auaw1drgie9kxfhf6

The former Stanford QB could be the answer for Pruitt. He is not a world beater but he did O.K. I read somewhere that if Pruitt could put the right people in the right spot and get them acclimated by the end of Spring they might have a shot at second in the East. I guess it depends on how well Chryst and the Pro-style offense works out.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The Vols are expected to shift from former coach Butch Jones' spread offense to a more pro-style, power-run scheme, the type that Chryst ran at Stanford. Guarantano and McBride came to Knoxville as dual-threat QBs and haven't experienced much success.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...er-chryst-transfer/11yl4d7i6auaw1drgie9kxfhf6

The former Stanford QB could be the answer for Pruitt. He is not a world beater but he did O.K. I read somewhere that if Pruitt could put the right people in the right spot and get them acclimated by the end of Spring they might have a shot at second in the East. I guess it depends on how well Chryst and the Pro-style offense works out.
Think this will be a good move for UT. As a traditional power if Pruit gets their program trending in the right direction they should start to be able to recruit nationally again and field teams that resemble a power football team.

I'd be excited to hear this if I was a UT fan.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Tennessee:

DB Shaq Wiggins
DB Justin Martin
DB Emmanuel Mosley
LB Cortez McDowell
DB Todd Kelly Jr.
K Aaron Medley
WR Josh Smith
DB Evan Berry
DL Kendall Vickers
LB Elliott Berry
LB Colton Jumper
OL Coleman Thomas
OL Brett Kendrick
OL Jason Robertson
TE Ethan Wolf
P Trevor Daniel

They lost a lot of guys off a bad team...may be a blessing in disguise honestly. Should be a roster full of guys who are more or less in it for the long haul. Not a bunch of seniors who may or may not give a hoot about what Pruitt is building.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
They lost a lot of guys off a bad team...may be a blessing in disguise honestly. Should be a roster full of guys who are more or less in it for the long haul. Not a bunch of seniors who may or may not give a hoot about what Pruitt is building.
Maybe. But it sure makes the rebuilding process longer and tougher for the new staff. A lot of the guys on that list were very good players.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Right but look how our 2007 season went: we got great effort from that team all season even when things didn't turn out great on the scoreboard through the LSU game then we lost our chance at a conference title and many of the seniors quit on the team (and the underclassman were some of the ones to call them out on it when it came to a head in November fyi). The underclassman that were still there plus the 2008 recruiting class were a night-and-day difference.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Right but look how our 2007 season went: we got great effort from that team all season even when things didn't turn out great on the scoreboard through the LSU game then we lost our chance at a conference title and many of the seniors quit on the team (and the underclassman were some of the ones to call them out on it when it came to a head in November fyi). The underclassman that were still there plus the 2008 recruiting class were a night-and-day difference.
I would bet lots of money that no starters job is safe at Tennessee. Sometimes the baby needs to go out with the bath water. I think it is called a house cleaning.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.