What's your take on Tennessee this season?

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I read somewhere that if Pruitt could put the right people in the right spot and get them acclimated by the end of Spring they might have a shot at second in the East.
I read somewhere that if Saban could put the right people in the right spot and get them acclimated by the end of Spring they might have a shot at first in the West, an SEC championship, and number 18.

You never know. :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I would bet lots of money that no starters job is safe at Tennessee. Sometimes the baby needs to go out with the bath water. I think it is called a house cleaning.
Yep I’m not calling for a UT divisional champ threat but sometimes I think a young team with new coach is better than senior-laden team with new coach.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yep I’m not calling for a UT divisional champ threat but sometimes I think a young team with new coach is better than senior-laden team with new coach.
I am among those who hopes that TN loses every game, but I think that Pruitt will have them playing over their heads. He seems to be the kind of coach that kids will play very hard for, and he has a great defensive mind. Defense still wins, so while their offense will struggle, I think that they will be a tough out (even with a depleted roster).

But this is all guess work since we have not seen Pruitt as a HC. We will know soon enough.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I am among those who hopes that TN loses every game, but I think that Pruitt will have them playing over their heads. He seems to be the kind of coach that kids will play very hard for, and he has a great defensive mind. Defense still wins, so while their offense will struggle, I think that they will be a tough out (even with a depleted roster).

But this is all guess work since we have not seen Pruitt as a HC. We will know soon enough.
This and we really don't know how depleted with talent and depth of talent Tennessee really is. One of my childhood best friends is a HUGE and I mean HUGE Tennessee fan. He is very happy with the Pruitt hire but he told me that those who really follow the team closely, KNOWS this will probably be a very ugly two year stretch due to the lack of talent and depth of talent across the entire team. If his assessment of the talent is accurate or even close to accurate. Even Pruitt's ability to get guys to play above their talent may not be enough to get them bowl eligible in his first year, possibly two.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Yes. A senior laden team with a new coach is a recipe for "season tanking". The seniors are use to a certain process and discipline with the old staff, and with a new staff like CJP, buy in would be a hard sell. It is going to be a long season on Rocky Top.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We also saw during the farce of their coaching search that there is an ongoing power struggle not only within the AD, but also amongst the boosters. Unless / until they reach the point Mal Moore did and basically tell the boosters they have zero input - that the AD 100% in control - Pruitt will be working at a disadvantage...

... which I'm fine with, BTW. I understand why he chose to go there (though I tend to believe it was premature move on his part), but he's the coach at ut now so I hope he goes 0-12 every year. Every. Year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
IDK, it's kinda fun when they are good enough to think they have a chance to beat us (like in the 80's when Majors coached there) but then every year we give them a big 'ole orange crush.
To heck with wanting that ever happening again. They relished in trying to destroy our program, and now the man responsible with it is their AD. My personal hope is that this generation of UT fans never see another bright season and the next wants to discontinue the football program because they can’t win. I hate to see Tennessee win just 1 game, let alone 6 or more. It’s more fun to smoke the cigar in their faces as they leave looking forward to 3 to 4 more losses in the following weeks than to see them showing the resemblance of a team in the SEC.

The gentlemen rivalry is over. I strongly dislike Auburn, but I hate Tennessee.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
All I know is I hope Jeremy does just well enough to get a second opportunity somewhere else after being terminated in Knoxville!

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I don't think I truly hated Tennessee until I moved here. Now I hope they never win. I can tolerate Auburn, because I don't live in Alabama anymore, but these people up here tend to pull for anybody who plays Alabama. There are no off weeks in other words. Alabama has to win every game or somebody will have something to say to you.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have no love for UT, and Coach Pruitt has made a career decision, right or wrong, time will tell. As much as I dislike Fat Phil and his shenanigans, none of that compares to my personal hate for auburn. BTW, I too live in TN, have some close friends who are UT grads and they are no where near as offensive as auburn fans. I have many relatives who live in Lee County and other relatives who are 'all in". I say that knowing auburn has a much better history against us than UT, but I personally hope that auburn never wins another game in my lifetime.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I have no love for UT, and Coach Pruitt has made a career decision, right or wrong, time will tell. As much as I dislike Fat Phil and his shenanigans, none of that compares to my personal hate for auburn. BTW, I too live in TN, have some close friends who are UT grads and they are no where near as offensive as auburn fans. I have many relatives who live in Lee County and other relatives who are 'all in". I say that knowing auburn has a much better history against us than UT, but I personally hope that auburn never wins another game in my lifetime.
You apparently didn’t live in tn when they were winning.....they can be some of the worst fans I’ve encountered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Not really, it's barely better, certainly not much better. Bama is 58% against UT and 55.5% against AU - little difference. That's with the current 11 game winning streak, but to be fair Bama has also won 7 of 10 from AU. Also, AU did not have to play during a 40 year period in which Bama was #3 in the country in winning %, AU was 80th and UT 5th. Taking everything into consideration, UT has been tougher. They still have a better overall history than AU, but they are dropping like a rock. IMO, LSU has passed them as #2 in the SEC. In 5-10 years, UGA and/or UF may pass them becoming #3, and LSU too if they stay with O.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
To heck with wanting that ever happening again. They relished in trying to destroy our program, and now the man responsible with it is their AD. My personal hope is that this generation of UT fans never see another bright season and the next wants to discontinue the football program because they can’t win. I hate to see Tennessee win just 1 game, let alone 6 or more. It’s more fun to smoke the cigar in their faces as they leave looking forward to 3 to 4 more losses in the following weeks than to see them showing the resemblance of a team in the SEC.

The gentlemen rivalry is over. I strongly dislike Auburn, but I hate Tennessee.
I read somewhere recently they some snitches too!!!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
They’ll be better because the coaching will be better. Idk if the record will improve much though. I see 8-5 as the top end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I have an expectation about UT because they are easy to have expectations for. As for CJP.....I am still amazed he would take that job. Especially working under PF. That man is no friend to UA. The man who praised the UT coach on Gameday, but trashed him 3 weeks later on local Nashville radio. I WOULD say "fact" but I may be wrong about the elapsed time. May have been 4 weeks later.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I don’t expect too much from Tennessee this season. Maybe a renewed energy from the players that goes with most coaching changes. I’ll say 7 wins.

I am still surprised that Jeremy Pruitt took the job, and I am a little torn. I want Pruitt to be a good coach and do well and possibly come back to Bama one day, but I want UT to do terrible and Fuller to crash and burn as AD all the way back to whatever hole he crawled out of to backstab the last AD. And I think that second side is going to win out.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
I think Henry will do a good job as the featured back, and if Mariota can stay healthy they might get back to the playoffs.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
We also saw during the farce of their coaching search that there is an ongoing power struggle not only within the AD, but also amongst the boosters. Unless / until they reach the point Mal Moore did and basically tell the boosters they have zero input - that the AD 100% in control - Pruitt will be working at a disadvantage...

... which I'm fine with, BTW. I understand why he chose to go there (though I tend to believe it was premature move on his part), but he's the coach at ut now so I hope he goes 0-12 every year. Every. Year.
^^^^^^^
Spoken as someone with a feel for the history of the series . . Avoid the rush, hate Tennessee early.
:wink:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I don’t expect too much from Tennessee this season. Maybe a renewed energy from the players that goes with most coaching changes. I’ll say 7 wins.
I'll echo this. Seven, maybe eight, wins this year. I see six for sure, and figure they'll win one, maybe two, more.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.