RIP Sir Roger Bannister

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
being from a running family (my dad ran track in the 60s and my folks helped start a very active running club in our small town in the late 70s-early 80s), the bannister name was common in our household growing up.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This approach has astonished me ever since I did the arithmetic:

It takes 240 seconds to run a 4-minute mile. At 1,760 yards, there are 17.6 hundred-yard dashes in a mile. Divide 240 by 17.6, and you get a 13.63 second pace. Every segment 17 times without break. At my Caucasian fastest, I did a 12.5. One in a row.

Today, the world record for the mile is 3:43. 223 seconds. 12.67 seconds per 100 yards, done 17.6 times unbroken.

I cannot imagine.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was in high school and I remember the news vividly. It was a barrier thought unbreakable...
I've read some newspapers from the time, and the assumption was that it would kill someone before they could do it.

Seems naive now, but I can understand the reluctance.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This approach has astonished me ever since I did the arithmetic:

It takes 240 seconds to run a 4-minute mile. At 1,760 yards, there are 17.6 hundred-yard dashes in a mile. Divide 240 by 17.6, and you get a 13.63 second pace. Every segment 17 times without break. At my Caucasian fastest, I did a 12.5. One in a row.

Today, the world record for the mile is 3:43. 223 seconds. 12.67 seconds per 100 yards, done 17.6 times unbroken.

I cannot imagine.

Yep.

I remember in junior high as we were getting of age that someone ran the 100 meter dash in probably 15 seconds (surely our lead track star in eighth grade). I remember the student keeping time and saying - as the world record at the time was probably slightly less than 10 seconds - "hey, he's only five seconds from breaking the world record."

Another one said, "Do you actually realize how far that is in track? This is a record that when broken only goes down by hundreths of a second!"

Still think it's funny.

I was never that fast and despite being a fat old man a few years back (not so much now), even at my swiftest I only ran 1.5 miles in a meet in 11:07. That's a pace of about 3:42 for HALF a mile..........

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I guess that is 2 (who will be the 3rd?). RIP
Btw, I think the "three celebrity deaths" has to be one of the most mythical and circular arguments I've ever seen.

Basically, people ASSUME there's three and when they reach three (and who determines that?) they start over.

Consider the weekend I was home for the 2013 Arkansas game with a buddy.

There were three big deaths I heard surrounding that game: former House Speaker Tom Foley, former Oilers coach Bum Phillips, and former Washington Huskies coach Don James.

Now go look at Wikipedia for those days (18-20 October) and tell me how many names there are......and who decides?

I've seen these stretched out over a number of days to make it three. (Farah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died the same day and so, too, Jim Henson and Sammy Davis Jr). But......I guess I'm just bored right now and wanted to argue about celebrity deaths.....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.