Early Predictions for 2018 Season

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
1) Neither Auburn nor Washington is going to be in the running anyway so who cares

2) Texas is still a year away

3) South Carolina will implode when their head coach explodes since every action has an opposite reaction

4) Jim Harbaugh's starting record is in Brady Hoke's zip code, and he's going to lose to Ohio St yet again

5) Ed Oregeron will beat someone he has no business beating and lose to someone he has no business losing to

6) Scott Frost is taking over a 4-8 team that lost three games by one score, meaning even someone better than Mike Riley
(like, you know, a fire hydrant) should go 7-5....you're telling me Frost is only one game better than a fire plug?

7) Sumlin is taking over a team that finished third in the Pac 12 division....he BETTER be contending...

8) Does anyone REALLY think Miss State post-Mullen is beating K-State in Manhattan? That's not a sure thing by any means

9) Clemson's D-line will be very good

10) Tua hype is gonna be unreal

13) UCF will be out of the race in September and a memory reminiscent of your most memorable flatulence and nothing more

14) Wisconsin is going to win a bunch of games because they play in a pathetic division

15) Stanford will again lose a game they should win and miss the playoff

16) Ohio St WILL lose two games

17) Bama-Clemson IV is probably coming, yes

18) There won't be two teams from the same conference this year
Stanford loses right out of the gate to San Diego State, still wins the PAC-12
I agree Clemson part IV does indeed happen
Wisky wins the Big 10
UCF loses by 3 TD's or more to Florida Atlantic
A group of 5 team comes very close to being in the playoff until they blow it losing to a team they have no business losing to

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
One of these replies made me LOL.

Mississippi State fans are a-fixing to find out how good a HC Mullen was.
Florida is going to see Mullen is a really good HC. If he can do with his talent what he did at State then they will find he is a great HC.
Order will be restored in the Big 12 with Oklahoma and Texas taking their traditional place at the top. Good coaching will show that recruiting still matters in that conference. Sorry about that TCU and Okie Lite.
FSU will rebound and make A&M fans more than a little nervous.
tOSU and Penn State will put Mr Harbawl on the really, really hot seat.
USC will find a way for their HC to underachieve yet again.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What’s your take on OU with Kyler Murray at QB?
I neither know nor care to be honest with you.

OU will again score a bushel of points because they MUST in order to win.

So he's probably gonna have some dazzling stats by virtue of the conference where he plays.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One of these replies made me LOL.

Mississippi State fans are a-fixing to find out how good a HC Mullen was.
Florida is going to see Mullen is a really good HC. If he can do with his talent what he did at State then they will find he is a great HC.
People from the outside don't understand what exactly Mullen was doing (because, of course, he HAD to). Mullen was spending many a Friday
night during the fall (when MSU was off or at home) at high school games in obscure parts of the state (including my own, a school that never got
a visit even from a scout/assistant back in the day) and finding "hidden gems" or at least "3 stars nobody knows about."

He won't have to do that at Florida, which is why I think he's going to do REALLY well. No, he never beat Alabama, but he got his team without
shouting distance of us - and given the talent disparity and even coaching disparity that's quite amazing.

Order will be restored in the Big 12 with Oklahoma and Texas taking their traditional place at the top. Good coaching will show that recruiting still matters in that conference. Sorry about that TCU and Okie Lite.
But we don't really yet know how good Lincoln Riley actually is, either.....I think Herman is the right hire but my buddy, as Orange as they come, thinks
they're going to take yet another year to really get in the hunt because Strong's mess was so severe (so goes the story - we'll see)

FSU will rebound and make A&M fans more than a little nervous.
tOSU and Penn State will put Mr Harbawl on the really, really hot seat.
USC will find a way for their HC to underachieve yet again.
Agreed on all counts.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Was he working with the second string offense as well ? Not that it matters much. A Day is choreographed in a lot of ways. The closed scrimmages will tell me more than A Day. A Day is for the fans to enjoy.
Yes, in the spring game last year he absolutely destroyed the second team defense while playing with the second team offense. In the second half Saban moved him to the first team offense, where he then played against the first team defense and he struggled. The guy who beat GA was far better than the guy who played in that spring game.

I am looking forward to the spring game next month. My wife and I are driving down (650 miles) for the game.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
1) Neither Auburn nor Washington is going to be in the running anyway so who cares

2) Texas is still a year away

3) South Carolina will implode when their head coach explodes since every action has an opposite reaction

4) Jim Harbaugh's starting record is in Brady Hoke's zip code, and he's going to lose to Ohio St yet again

5) Ed Oregeron will beat someone he has no business beating and lose to someone he has no business losing to

6) Scott Frost is taking over a 4-8 team that lost three games by one score, meaning even someone better than Mike Riley
(like, you know, a fire hydrant) should go 7-5....you're telling me Frost is only one game better than a fire plug?

7) Sumlin is taking over a team that finished third in the Pac 12 division....he BETTER be contending...

8) Does anyone REALLY think Miss State post-Mullen is beating K-State in Manhattan? That's not a sure thing by any means

9) Clemson's D-line will be very good

10) Tua hype is gonna be unreal

13) UCF will be out of the race in September and a memory reminiscent of your most memorable flatulence and nothing more (That bad? ;) )

14) Wisconsin is going to win a bunch of games because they play in a pathetic division

15) Stanford will again lose a game they should win and miss the playoff

16) Ohio St WILL lose two games

17) Bama-Clemson IV is probably coming, yes

18) There won't be two teams from the same conference this year
I highlighted the memorable parts...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
People from the outside don't understand what exactly Mullen was doing (because, of course, he HAD to). Mullen was spending many a Friday
night during the fall (when MSU was off or at home) at high school games in obscure parts of the state (including my own, a school that never got
a visit even from a scout/assistant back in the day) and finding "hidden gems" or at least "3 stars nobody knows about."

He won't have to do that at Florida, which is why I think he's going to do REALLY well. No, he never beat Alabama, but he got his team without
shouting distance of us - and given the talent disparity and even coaching disparity that's quite amazing.
Thank you for sharing that. I had no idea. But I know I was skeptical of Mullen at first, thinking he might just be having beginners luck but he won me over. Here is something else that awed me. From 2010 till 2017 Mullen took Mississippi State to a bowl EIGHT times. Yes, every year he was there from first to last.

Bama = 8 bowls
LSU = 8 bowls
Tex A&M = 8 bowls
Miss State = 8 bowls
Auburn = 7 bowls
Arkansas = 5 bowls
Ole Miss = 4 bowls
Florida = 6 bowls

well, you get the picture. Mullen took those rare gems he found and put State in rarified company.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Ok....I'm going to go out on a limb and predict something crazy next season,,.................a National Championship for The Tide, I care not about anyone else, (I know selfish right?) :D

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yes, in the spring game last year he absolutely destroyed the second team defense while playing with the second team offense. In the second half Saban moved him to the first team offense, where he then played against the first team defense and he struggled. The guy who beat GA was far better than the guy who played in that spring game.

I am looking forward to the spring game next month. My wife and I are driving down (650 miles) for the game.
Hurts had a great Aday last year, but not so much in the regular season vs good defenses. When he has another good spring this year, though, many will be back on the Hurts band wagon.
IIRC, both Jalen and Tua torched the DBs in the first half. I specifically remember a couple of longer throws from Jalen that had us salivating that maybe he's turned the corner and that his soph. year would reveal he'd become a complete passer/qb. On the second team, Tau was showing how he was going to be special too.

But then, in the second half, CNS turned the defense loose (more than normal for spring games) and the offense, as a whole, didn't do near as well. When Tua played with the 1s on O the #1 D neutralized him.

Of course, there's no denying that he adjusted and with the reps in practice and lots of cleanup duty during the regular season, he proved he was ready for the prime time.

And that is the big difference between the two. Tua in one year showed lots of improvement, even though his incredible talent was obvious last spring. Jalen, OTOH, after two years, hasn't shown much growth in the passing game.

JMO, but I don't think another spring will change that enough to suddenly make him catch up to Tua, because he's going to keep growing too.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yeah, it's a good problem to have. Our backup will either be a former SEC offensive player of the year or a national title game MVP. Our starter will be the guy who beat out that guy, so we should be in good shape.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Hurts had a great Aday last year, but not so much in the regular season vs good defenses. When he has another good spring this year, though, many will be back on the Hurts band wagon.
I wouldn't put much stock in either kid's showing. 6 new dbs in done with only one returning (2 game started) Thompson. I know we have the athletes but i do not expect them to gel immediately given the responsibility of each db in CNS scheme. Couple that with no threat of qb getting hit in the mouth (Jalen will look like Tom Brady) and Secondary will more than likely get torched at will on A day. Again

Last edited:

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Thank you for sharing that. I had no idea. But I know I was skeptical of Mullen at first, thinking he might just be having beginners luck but he won me over. Here is something else that awed me. From 2010 till 2017 Mullen took Mississippi State to a bowl EIGHT times. Yes, every year he was there from first to last.

Bama = 8 bowls
LSU = 8 bowls
Tex A&M = 8 bowls
Miss State = 8 bowls
Auburn = 7 bowls
Arkansas = 5 bowls
Ole Miss = 4 bowls
Florida = 6 bowls

well, you get the picture. Mullen took those rare gems he found and put State in rarified company.
Undeniably impressive numbers for Mullen at MSU. "MSU" being the key to that statement. I really think he's a good coach, and an innovator on offense. He seems to be a decent tactician as well. What is up for debate going forward is whether or not he can have similar success at Florida. And by similar, I don't mean just going to 8 bowls in 8 years, at UF it has to be a certain level of bowl game. He will have to win more than a division title or he won't last 8 years. He may need to at least win an SEC title to last beyond 5 years. He can survive for the remainder of his coaching life without Saban-like success, but he will need to reach the pinnacle at some point, and he will need to be in the conversation enough to keep the Gator fans from pining for Spurrier.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Undeniably impressive numbers for Mullen at MSU. "MSU" being the key to that statement. I really think he's a good coach, and an innovator on offense. He seems to be a decent tactician as well. What is up for debate going forward is whether or not he can have similar success at Florida. And by similar, I don't mean just going to 8 bowls in 8 years, at UF it has to be a certain level of bowl game. He will have to win more than a division title or he won't last 8 years. He may need to at least win an SEC title to last beyond 5 years. He can survive for the remainder of his coaching life without Saban-like success, but he will need to reach the pinnacle at some point, and he will need to be in the conversation enough to keep the Gator fans from pining for Spurrier.
I agree. He will have to win at least as many East Championships as Georgia does.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.