Stewart Mandel Tweet: More people watched CFP NCG than the Oscars

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
You're not alone. Nobody outside of Hollywood has heard of or watch the movie.
That's just a silly and empirically incorrect thing to say. The film made $110 million and I know plenty of people who saw it. There's a bit of an echo chamber going on in here right now. People like movies and go to watch them and apparently 26 million people decided to watch the Oscars which is not nothing (I did not because I do think they are silly.)

However, I'm not surprised the NCG managed to pull a few more million.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
That's just a silly and empirically incorrect thing to say. The film made $110 million and I know plenty of people who saw it. There's a bit of an echo chamber going on in here right now. People like movies and go to watch them and apparently 26 million people decided to watch the Oscars which is not nothing (I did not because I do think they are silly.)
Haters gonna hate.

Watched The Shape of Water last night--it's breathtaking. As is--though for completely different reasons--Get Out.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
My daughter loves movies and watches every award show. We don't live in New York or California, and she's not weird. She also watched the college playoffs and championship. I think it's great that the championship got great ratings. Why not just celebrate that.

If folks don't like movies or award shows, then don't watch them. There's no reason to ridicule those that do like them. I'm sure there are a lot of people that think it's silly for me to be glued to a TV set to watch an 18 year old announce where he will go to college. But I'm not into judging others.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My daughter loves movies and watches every award show. We don't live in New York or California, and she's not weird. She also watched the college playoffs and championship. I think it's great that the championship got great ratings. Why not just celebrate that.

If folks don't like movies or award shows, then don't watch them. There's no reason to ridicule those that do like them. I'm sure there are a lot of people that think it's silly for me to be glued to a TV set to watch an 18 year old announce where he will go to college. But I'm not into judging others.
This is a very reasonable take, which is very unacceptable.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am a movie lover - see about 40 movies each year in the theater. I do not watch the Academy Awards because the films that I prefer are generally not considered.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Supreme athleticism over supreme narcissism.
Haha, this is true with the athleticism part, but I'll bet there were plenty of narcissists on the field during the championship game. However, people talk about how "dirty" the basketball recruiting game can be, but Hollywood always seems dirty to me.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

the first rule of grievance club is you have to tell everyone about grievance club ;)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I am a movie lover - see about 40 movies each year in the theater. I do not watch the Academy Awards because the films that I prefer are generally not considered.
Same for the most part. I like some of the Oscar movies but very rarely do I actually enjoy the more artsy movies that tend to win a bunch of awards. I also find the actual award show pretty boring. Other award shows tend to be more entertaining IMO.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

People watch movies and sports for the same reasons....it's entertainment. So it's not that one "fan" is better/worse than the other.

The big difference I see is that those who star in sports aren't advocating/portraying things in sports that they later turn around and condemn.

Movie stars make their money off of scenes/storylines that normal citizens can't do, and yet when people in the real world do those things these "stars" condemn them. It's highly confusing to children and teens and some adults because they can't tell the difference in the "reel world" and the "real world."

But the primary turnoff of these awards shows is these "stars" think their celebrity equals credibility and because they are famous they think they are qualified to "lecture" us about what matters to them even though most people in between Hollywood and NY don't really agree with their political views.

So my comments weren't about those who like movies (I do too), but the inconsistency of Hollywood.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I enjoyed Darkest Hour -- and thought Oldman was phenomenal. Beyond that, I didn't see much. But, I tend to not watch the Oscars/Grammy's, Emmy's, etc -- because I don't have a vested interest in them anymore. The wife and I go to about 4-5 movies a year -- we go back and forth on who picks. I usually get 2 Superhero/Historical movies a year, and she gets 2-3 chick flicks. It works out.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To be honest, 3 hours of movie awards is just not going to play with the 40 and under crowd anymore. Viewing habits have changed. Baseball is struggling with the attention span problem. Imagine award shows where the highlight is a bad political joke or two.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I enjoyed Darkest Hour -- and thought Oldman was phenomenal. Beyond that, I didn't see much. But, I tend to not watch the Oscars/Grammy's, Emmy's, etc -- because I don't have a vested interest in them anymore. The wife and I go to about 4-5 movies a year -- we go back and forth on who picks. I usually get 2 Superhero/Historical movies a year, and she gets 2-3 chick flicks. It works out.
Oh man you probably would have loved Dunkirk. It was also a great film with tons of Oscar consideration.

There were actually a lot of good movies out this year.
But everybody loves college football. : )

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
To be honest, 3 hours of movie awards is just not going to play with the 40 and under crowd anymore. Viewing habits have changed. Baseball is struggling with the attention span problem. Imagine award shows where the highlight is a bad political joke or two.
I played ball for a decade growing up and even I won't watch baseball. It's painfully dull. But I'm fickle, in a way football is just as slow and yet I make illogical concessions for it. Humans are so hypocritical.
Makes me wonder why Mark Zuckerberg ever wanted to come to this planet in the first place.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think part of it is -- watching rich people whine about how bad they have it -- wears dreadfully thin of the 40 and OVER crowd.....

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I played ball for a decade growing up and even I won't watch baseball. It's painfully dull. But I'm fickle, in a way football is just as slow and yet I make illogical concessions for it. Humans are so hypocritical.
Makes me wonder why Mark Zuckerberg ever wanted to come to this planet in the first place.
As bad as baseball is on TV, in the stadium it's much worse......the 7th inning stretch is there for a reason

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.