Alabama Announces 2018 Spring Practice Schedule

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Barring injury, and maybe even if that does happen, my bet is that we have Mr. Davis for one more season.

He's no joke, and every OL and OL coach in the country knows it.
The only way I see him staying is if he looks at the absolutely stacked DL class coming out and decides he will go higher if he waits

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I would hope and expect the defense to begin to have a progressively more difficult time with the offense as the " new look " O line continues to work together and hopefully gel. Even so, it wouldn`t surprise me at all if the D turns out to be very good, particularly in pass rush. It looks like we`ve got some folks who can come off the edge.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
The front seven should be exceptional, and will need to be. Secondary likely needs some help with the lack of experience back there.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The front seven should be exceptional, and will need to be. Secondary likely needs some help with the lack of experience back there.
I agree on our front 7. Buggs and Davis should have huge years and we probably have the most athletic ILB tandem in the country. But, I am actually starting to wonder if the secondary will surprise us. Diggs should be much improved heading into this year and he is an athletic dude. Savion Smith at least has some experience in college even if not at our level. I have high hopes for him. And as we saw at the end of the season Deionte Thompson can play. I know a lot of Bama fans more informed than I that are also pretty high on McKinney and Wright as well. Plus once Surtain gets on campus he seems like he is good enough to push for some early playing time.

I don't think it will be where it was last year but I hope/think it won't be as big of a weakness as I originally thought.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I agree on our front 7. Buggs and Davis should have huge years and we probably have the most athletic ILB tandem in the country. But, I am actually starting to wonder if the secondary will surprise us. Diggs should be much improved heading into this year and he is an athletic dude. Savion Smith at least has some experience in college even if not at our level. I have high hopes for him. And as we saw at the end of the season Deionte Thompson can play. I know a lot of Bama fans more informed than I that are also pretty high on McKinney and Wright as well. Plus once Surtain gets on campus he seems like he is good enough to push for some early playing time.

I don't think it will be where it was last year but I hope/think it won't be as big of a weakness as I originally thought.
He played in the 2-deep as a true freshman at LSU and was battling for a starting job when he transferred - kind of like Maurice Smith with Bama a few years back. I think I read that he started the final 7 games of his time at LSU during his true freshman season because the starter was injured. So he knows what it takes to play at the SEC level. That and he was rated by Scout as the no.1 cornerback in the nation in the class of 2016.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
He played in the 2-deep as a true freshman at LSU and was battling for a starting job when he transferred - kind of like Maurice Smith with Bama a few years back. I think I read that he started the final 7 games of his time at LSU during his true freshman season because the starter was injured. So he knows what it takes to play at the SEC level. That and he was rated by Scout as the no.1 cornerback in the nation in the class of 2016.
Ah, I didn't know he had actually taken snaps at LSU. Thanks.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

Then there are Lewis, Miller, and Allen coming off the edge. If they can affect the QB to assure that the ball comes out fast, it will be of tremendous help to the secondary. I recall the last time that the secondary was fairly young that they generally did well unless the QB had time to let receivers come open.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Hopefully, the coaching of Coach K will be felt in a fearsome DL pass rush. He was fabulous at Missouri and Miami. Idk if it was at the expense of the running game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
At Mizzou, they ran a scheme that could be compared to the Indianapolis Colts defenses under Tony Dungy. They weren't a great run defense but were hell on wheels on 3rd and long or any late game situation where you had to throw to win. He's produced some legit interior DL prospects though. They just kinda adapted to the personnel they had up front but the philosophy seemed to always be predicated on turnovers and negative yardage plays.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
At Mizzou, they ran a scheme that could be compared to the Indianapolis Colts defenses under Tony Dungy. They weren't a great run defense but were hell on wheels on 3rd and long or any late game situation where you had to throw to win. He's produced some legit interior DL prospects though. They just kinda adapted to the personnel they had up front but the philosophy seemed to always be predicated on turnovers and negative yardage plays.
agreed on the scheme difference he's used in the past, and i don't see Bama adopting any of those other than in some sub-packages focused on pure passing downs. In base and even nickel I think we'll stick with the same scheme we have used in the past, but that the 3DLs could likely have a few new and improved tools in their toolkit.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
agreed on the scheme difference he's used in the past, and i don't see Bama adopting any of those other than in some sub-packages focused on pure passing downs. In base and even nickel I think we'll stick with the same scheme we have used in the past, but that the 3DLs could likely have a few new and improved tools in their toolkit.
He's coached enough different body types to NFL success that I don't imagine he's a one or two trick pony. He knows defensive line technique and we're likely to see the dividends in 2018. Not that Dunbar or Davis were bad...Coach K is just among the very absolute best in his craft.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.