Alabama Announces 2018 Spring Practice Schedule

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I finally get a chance to see Tua pass in person and he doesn't play. I'm not sorry that this greatly disappoints me.
I understand what you mean. It would be like going to watch the Chicago Bulls play and Jordan taking the night off or something. I think you will still enjoy the game though. We have been a couple of times and just loved watching the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The way I look at it the battle was always going to be won in August anyway. If Saban named either the starter after A-day the other would likely transfer. I hope Jalen looks vastly improved next Saturday throwing the ball and the battle moves into the fall. We need Jalen and Tua to keep pushing one another.
Oh, I didn't mean I thought CNS would name a starter...I just meant the competition/camparison between Tua and Hurts for us fans won't be as fun.

FWIW, I don't expect Jalen to look bad in the spring game, but I did expect Tua to showout and remind us all he's alot better. Actually, because Tua likely won't play it actually might cause Jalen to relax and not press.

But it could actually backfire on Jalen if Mac Jones looks like a better QB than he does. Hearing alot of glowing reports about Jones. More of the same about Hurts.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I finally get a chance to see Tua pass in person and he doesn't play. I'm not sorry that this greatly disappoints me.
Yea. I would be extremely disappointed. I feel you. I'm disappointed enough and I won't even be there.

I went through a similar thing with RGIII (when we still thought he was the future.) Bought tickets to a Preseason game and then he got hurt and didn't play. That was a meaningless game as well but I wanted to see RG in person. I'm pretty sure we were playing whatever team Sam Bradford was on at the time and my Fiancee is an OU fan. But Bradford also got hurt and didn't play.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Yea. I would be extremely disappointed. I feel you. I'm disappointed enough and I won't even be there.

I went through a similar thing with RGIII (when we still thought he was the future.) Bought tickets to a Preseason game and then he got hurt and didn't play. That was a meaningless game as well but I wanted to see RG in person. I'm pretty sure we were playing whatever team Sam Bradford was on at the time and my Fiancee is an OU fan. But Bradford also got hurt and didn't play.
You basically just summed up both players careers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
I am in the camp that believes Tua will start at QB.
I'm going to the spring game but will not be disappointed about Tua not playing in it because I'll get to see him plenty during the season. To me, A-Day (and any game for that matter) is about going to see the team. Yes, I know the qb battle is/was much anticipated given what happened in the NCG. I would have liked to have seen Tua as well but much more important to me that Tua stays healthy.
This may give either Jalen or Mac the opportunity they need to regain the lead/make headway in the qb battle.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Interesting to hear that both QB's threw some picks. Wonder what the cause was. Still a good sign for a very young secondary, but potentially worrying for Hurts. They could have been under pressure throws as it states that the line is having a whale of a time blocking Davis, Miller and Lewis. Not surprising at this point.

Crazy to hear that the walk-on, Rogria Lewis, had 2 picks and made some plays. That's very encouraging. Could be this year's Levi Wallace? Would be excellent for this secondary to have someone like him come in and play well. Also encouraging to hear that Diggs had a solid outing. He's a great physical talent.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Interesting to hear that both QB's threw some picks. Wonder what the cause was. Still a good sign for a very young secondary, but potentially worrying for Hurts. They could have been under pressure throws as it states that the line is having a whale of a time blocking Davis, Miller and Lewis. Not surprising at this point.

Crazy to hear that the walk-on, Rogria Lewis, had 2 picks and made some plays. That's very encouraging. Could be this year's Levi Wallace? Would be excellent for this secondary to have someone like him come in and play well. Also encouraging to hear that Diggs had a solid outing. He's a great physical talent.
Gotta remember that OL is still in work. It is likely they faced lot of pressures from defense. SO I wouldn't read too much into QB's performances just yet.

Rogria Lewis, if he keep it up, He might see some playing time somewhere. Could end up as 3rd Corner or 4th corner.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Gotta remember that OL is still in work. It is likely they faced lot of pressures from defense. SO I wouldn't read too much into QB's performances just yet.

Rogria Lewis, if he keep it up, He might see some playing time somewhere. Could end up as 3rd Corner or 4th corner.
That's why I said this:
They could have been under pressure throws as it states that the line is having a whale of a time blocking Davis, Miller and Lewis. Not surprising at this point.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
All issues the OL might have had with DL aside, it does Hurts NO favors to not being able to overcome that and be effective.

Every above average team we play will be able to do some of what our defense is doing in practice. Hurts has always been "good" but the only way he sees the field above Tua is to improve beyond "good" and, based on multiple reports this spring, it's basically just more of the same ol same ol from Jalen.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Yup, I just noticed that :) My bad. I'll be at the A day this weekend, so I will get a better understanding of what's going on with Hurts and Tua.
I'm very interested to see what Hurts does with the opportunity.

I expect to see a very soft defense at first with pressure turned up late. They will likely try and ease the O-line into the game because at this point, communication and timing are more important for them. No need to destroy their self-esteem by letting that ferocious D-line demolish them from the get-go.

Remember last year? A lot of vanilla looks that allowed both Tua AND Jalen to feast on go routes. Diggs got plastered. When the heat got turned up, both players looked much more average.

Any judgement of Hurts will have to be based on the O-line's performance and the battle between his receivers and secondary. While I believe the secondary will perform better than people expect this year, I still think we have too much talent at receiver and they should be finding some success on the field.

Will be interesting to see what offensive plays are called as well.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
All issues the OL might have had with DL aside, it does Hurts NO favors to not being able to overcome that and be effective.

Every above average team we play will be able to do some of what our defense is doing in practice. Hurts has always been "good" but the only way he sees the field above Tua is to improve beyond "good" and, based on multiple reports this spring, it's basically just more of the same ol same ol from Jalen.
I've heard you mention this before butI haven't seen that anywhere. Could you post some sources? Not doubting, I've just missed them. I've heard that Mac Jones looks a LOT better, but I haven't heard anything about the growth of either Tua or Hurts. Just those one-liner practice report sentences like, "Hurts had a nice touch pass to Jerry Jeudy working in goal-line situations." Hard to get overall quantitive assessments from those breadcrumbs.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've heard you mention this before butI haven't seen that anywhere. Could you post some sources? Not doubting, I've just missed them. I've heard that Mac Jones looks a LOT better, but I haven't heard anything about the growth of either Tua or Hurts. Just those one-liner practice report sentences like, "Hurts had a nice touch pass to Jerry Jeudy working in goal-line situations." Hard to get overall quantitive assessments from those breadcrumbs.
I've just read the practice reports. This is the second time we've heard Hurts had some nice plays and struggled some. That's what was said after the first scrimmage IIRC.

IOW, there's not much to make us think he's made a super jump, which is what he'd need.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I've just read the practice reports. This is the second time we've heard Hurts had some nice plays and struggled some. That's what was said after the first scrimmage IIRC.

IOW, there's not much to make us think he's made a super jump, which is what he'd need.
I actually think the increased occurrence of interceptions is interesting. It's like he knows he needs to be taking more chances throwing the ball so he's putting himself in more precarious positions in order to complete passes.

This is something that most QB's would go through in the redshirt freshman season. So he could learn from these throws and grow, because failure is often a necessity that precipitates success. Or it could just be a trend that continues and reinforces that he doesn't have the tools necessary to distribute the ball consistently.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I actually think the increased occurrence of interceptions is interesting. It's like he knows he needs to be taking more chances throwing the ball so he's putting himself in more precarious positions in order to complete passes.

This is something that most QB's would go through in the redshirt freshman season. So he could learn from these throws and grow, because failure is often a necessity that precipitates success. Or it could just be a trend that continues and reinforces that he doesn't have the tools necessary to distribute the ball consistently.
It's a catch 22 with him. The reason he didn't throw more INT's the first couple of years is not because he's wildly accurate, but because he's not (and I'm convinced he knows this) and so he rarely ever forced a throw and usually only threw to guys in the wide open.

Now, if he's trying to grow past this and he's trying to hit more tight windows he's going to have more INTs. I agree with you that this is something he should have done in his first year, but he didn't have that opportunity because he was basically thrust into a situation at least a year too soon, as far as his natural development was concerned.

I think Jalen got a bad break, ironically, when he was asked to QB the team as a true freshman.

He could be forcing it too. His competition is pretty steep and he knows he's got to grow, alot.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.