Alabama Announces 2018 Spring Practice Schedule

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Alabama Announces 2018 Spring Practice Schecule

Williams was pretty dinged up even before he went out against UGA, so a before and after during that game probably isn't the best yardstick. that said, I agree that leatherwood looked great against UGA. One thing to consider though - is that the ENTIRE OL looked way better with Tua in the game versus Jalen. That said I wouldn't be shocked to see Leatherwood in the line up at one OT, and Williams at the other. I think Ross P slides inside since he ran with the 1's at OC the spring before bozeman won out, then moved back to OG. that leaves Womack either moving to LG, or as odd man out. He wasn't amazing last year, but he also wasn't horrible. He was the most frequent victim of Hurts flushing out though, so at times looked worse than he really was. when your QB develops a tendency of flushing right way more than he should it puts your RT in a really, really bad spot since he's pushing his guy out and up, trying to get him past the qb, but if the qb moves that way then the RT has a tough time re-positioning to cut off pursuit.
Something else to consider, though, is Tua being a lefty. Is Womack good enough to be Tua's blindside blocker for 12+ games?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Thank you for posting. The new little league association we joined this year put all of my son's games on Saturdays. So Ill have to catch a replay of the spring game.

Download ESPN app on your tablet or phone, and you can watch spring game on your phone.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Alabama starting OL expected to miss spring with foot injury

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Alabama right tackle [FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold]Matt Womack[/FONT] recently sustained a broken a bone in his foot, BamaOnLine has learned, and is expected to miss all of the team’s spring practices, which begin today.

[/FONT]

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]The injury occurred during a workout, and he will have surgery on his injured foot this week.[/FONT]

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hate it for Womack. A few guys are going to get some serious time at RT with his injury. The article seems to indicate that this opens something up for Wills at RT, but I hope that Wills plays guard, Williams moves back to RT and Leatherwood plays LT.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Didn't see this posted. If it has, my apologies.

From the article:

"Nick ain't thinking about retiring, not even close," Spurrier said. "He can go into his 70s easy, and I think he will.

"I told him he won't retire until he loses three games in a season. He told me, 'If I ever lose three games around here again, they might kill me.' I think he was joking, but I'm not sure."
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22833828/nick-saban-alabama-crimson-tide-future-coaching-plans

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Matt Womack to Miss Spring Practice

I would assume that that means J. Wills will get 18 tons of work with the first group O line. That`s a good thing and I don`t mean that as slight to Matt. He`s worked hard and done a fine job at RT. Having said that, a starting O line that includes Wills, Leatherwood and of course J. Williams would not surprise me in the least.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Re: Matt Womack to Miss Spring Practice

I hate that for Matt and any other player who gets injured. I hope everyone can stay injury free for the most part compared to last season!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

There seems to be 2 very different lines of thought gaining steam among fans and media

1) Saban won't name a QB until Fall. He has always dragged out QB battles and there is no reason why this time should be different. Also, look at his comments he isn't trying to rush this.

and then there is

2) Tua and Jalen are too smart to let this play out long term and will force Saban to name a QB early(before fall). That's why we got the grad transfer at QB. Saban knows one of these guys is leaving.

Curious what people here think about this. Maybe I should have put this in the QB competition thread idk.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

There seems to be 2 very different lines of thought gaining steam among fans and media

1) Saban won't name a QB until Fall. He has always dragged out QB battles and there is no reason why this time should be different. Also, look at his comments he isn't trying to rush this.

and then there is

2) Tua and Jalen are too smart to let this play out long term and will force Saban to name a QB early(before fall). That's why we got the grad transfer at QB. Saban knows one of these guys is leaving.

Curious what people here think about this. Maybe I should have put this in the QB competition thread idk.
It's a Spring practice narrative so it fits. There will be a lot of cross pollination.

I don't know what to think of the 2nd argument. I'd doubt that one the most. The idea that a college student will force Saban to do something seems a little out there. Besides, we know we can play winning football with either one so it's not like Saban would be forced into a losing seasons if one left (though I hope Tua stays). I just don't see it. He holds more chips than they do and has been managing rosters longer than these kids have been alive. The idea that either one of them could force an ultimatum or, honestly, that either of them has the CHARACTER to try and force an ultimatum is a little far fetched to me.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

It's a Spring practice narrative so it fits. There will be a lot of cross pollination.

I don't know what to think of the 2nd argument. I'd doubt that one the most. The idea that a college student will force Saban to do something seems a little out there. Besides, we know we can play winning football with either one so it's not like Saban would be forced into a losing seasons if one left (though I hope Tua stays). I just don't see it. He holds more chips than they do and has been managing rosters longer than these kids have been alive. The idea that either one of them could force an ultimatum or, honestly, that either of them has the CHARACTER to try and force an ultimatum is a little far fetched to me.
Sorry, I should have clarified. By forced I meant that they will know who is the real leader and that one will transfer. I assume in that situation Saban wouldn't want it to go from QB competition to one of the competing QBs is transferring. I would think he would have to name one the starter.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

and then there is

I wake up this morning believing that JH can improve much more than many of us believe. That is if he is dedicated to improving his throwing motion and develop his ability to move in the pocket. The question becomes can he improve to the degree that his overall game offers a better opportunity to win games than having a QB with Tua's obvious talents.

There are a number of considerations that go along with this but if I am a parent of one of these young men I would be looking to make the very best decision I could to allow them to maximize their potential. I believe that is a given when recruiting players who aspire to NFL careers.

I look at Jason Eason heading to Washington and tend to wonder did KS end up with the best athlete at QB.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

RollTide_HTTR;31990252) said:
Tua and Jalen are too smart to let this play out long term and will force Saban to name a QB early(before fall). That's why we got the grad transfer at QB. Saban knows one of these guys is leaving.
I don't think Saban is so tied to a plan that if he sees something unraveling at the seams that he wouldn't adjust. I'll give you another scenario that could "force" his hand. We now know wr coach Mike Locksley had to deal with and ultimately stamp out a wr "revolt" due to them getting frustrated with the decision to keep Hurts at QB. Who's to say that during spring practice it becomes overwhelmingly obvious who should be the starter yet Saban continues to slow play the situation giving the impression Hurts has a real chance at the position. Causing the WR's or maybe a big part of the team to start to get frustrated (again) and it starts to impact chemistry. I think if Saban saw signs of this he would go ahead and name a starter. I know what he's trying to do. He's trying to keep both QB's on campus. So he's giving the public perception that both QB's are on equal ground and footing. But what he actually means is they are on equal ground with opportunity. Because anybody who watches these two quarterbacks quickly realizes one is on a different playing level than the other.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Interesting comment from Jess about Deonte Brown potentially moving inside to the D line. Hard to imagine that there aren`t one or two guys on the O line that don`t have experience on the D side. May well be the best way for some of them to see the field, considering the O line numbers and quality.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Something else to consider, though, is Tua being a lefty. Is Womack good enough to be Tua's blindside blocker for 12+ games?
I was thinking something along those lines. Like maybe whoever is your strongest tackle probably needs to be on the right, whereas we typically see them on the left. Maybe J Williams right and Leatherwood left is what we will see? Or vice versa?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I don't think Saban is so tied to a plan that if he sees something unraveling at the seams that he wouldn't adjust. I'll give you another scenario that could "force" his hand. We now know wr coach Mike Locksley had to deal with and ultimately stamp out a wr "revolt" due to them getting frustrated with the decision to keep Hurts at QB. Who's to say that during spring practice it becomes overwhelmingly obvious who should be the starter yet Saban continues to slow play the situation giving the impression Hurts has a real chance at the position. Causing the WR's or maybe a big part of the team to start to get frustrated (again) and it starts to impact chemistry. I think if Saban saw signs of this he would go ahead and name a starter. I know what he's trying to do. He's trying to keep both QB's on campus. So he's giving the public perception that both QB's are on equal ground and footing. But what he actually means is they are on equal ground with opportunity. Because anybody who watches these two quarterbacks quickly realizes one is on a different playing level than the other.
I really worry about this one as well. What if our talented WR's decide they would rather transfer and sit out a year than play another year with a QB who can't get them the ball?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I wake up this morning believing that JH can improve much more than many of us believe. That is if he is dedicated to improving his throwing motion and develop his ability to move in the pocket. The question becomes can he improve to the degree that his overall game offers a better opportunity to win games than having a QB with Tua's obvious talents.There are a number of considerations that go along with this but if I am a parent of one of these young men I would be looking to make the very best decision I could to allow them to maximize their potential. I believe that is a given when recruiting players who aspire to NFL careers.

I look at Jacob Eason heading to Washington and tend to wonder did KS end up with the best athlete at QB.
I suspect it will be easier to teach Tua when to make the read that puts him in "protect the possession" mode than it will be to re-teach how to throw the ball to Jalen after him doing it for 19 years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.