Alabama Announces 2018 Spring Practice Schedule - Page 3
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Matt Womack to Miss Spring Practice

I would assume that that means J. Wills will get 18 tons of work with the first group O line. That`s a good thing and I don`t mean that as slight to Matt. He`s worked hard and done a fine job at RT. Having said that, a starting O line that includes Wills, Leatherwood and of course J. Williams would not surprise me in the least.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Saban4Ever's Avatar

Re: Matt Womack to Miss Spring Practice

I hate that for Matt and any other player who gets injured. I hope everyone can stay injury free for the most part compared to last season!

BamaNation All-American

There seems to be 2 very different lines of thought gaining steam among fans and media

1) Saban won't name a QB until Fall. He has always dragged out QB battles and there is no reason why this time should be different. Also, look at his comments he isn't trying to rush this.

and then there is

2) Tua and Jalen are too smart to let this play out long term and will force Saban to name a QB early(before fall). That's why we got the grad transfer at QB. Saban knows one of these guys is leaving.

Curious what people here think about this. Maybe I should have put this in the QB competition thread idk.

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    There seems to be 2 very different lines of thought gaining steam among fans and media

1) Saban won't name a QB until Fall. He has always dragged out QB battles and there is no reason why this time should be different. Also, look at his comments he isn't trying to rush this.

and then there is

2) Tua and Jalen are too smart to let this play out long term and will force Saban to name a QB early(before fall). That's why we got the grad transfer at QB. Saban knows one of these guys is leaving.

Curious what people here think about this. Maybe I should have put this in the QB competition thread idk.
    It's a Spring practice narrative so it fits. There will be a lot of cross pollination.

I don't know what to think of the 2nd argument. I'd doubt that one the most. The idea that a college student will force Saban to do something seems a little out there. Besides, we know we can play winning football with either one so it's not like Saban would be forced into a losing seasons if one left (though I hope Tua stays). I just don't see it. He holds more chips than they do and has been managing rosters longer than these kids have been alive. The idea that either one of them could force an ultimatum or, honestly, that either of them has the CHARACTER to try and force an ultimatum is a little far fetched to me.
    ďAnd what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.Ē
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    It's a Spring practice narrative so it fits. There will be a lot of cross pollination.

I don't know what to think of the 2nd argument. I'd doubt that one the most. The idea that a college student will force Saban to do something seems a little out there. Besides, we know we can play winning football with either one so it's not like Saban would be forced into a losing seasons if one left (though I hope Tua stays). I just don't see it. He holds more chips than they do and has been managing rosters longer than these kids have been alive. The idea that either one of them could force an ultimatum or, honestly, that either of them has the CHARACTER to try and force an ultimatum is a little far fetched to me.
    Sorry, I should have clarified. By forced I meant that they will know who is the real leader and that one will transfer. I assume in that situation Saban wouldn't want it to go from QB competition to one of the competing QBs is transferring. I would think he would have to name one the starter.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post

and then there is

I wake up this morning believing that JH can improve much more than many of us believe. That is if he is dedicated to improving his throwing motion and develop his ability to move in the pocket. The question becomes can he improve to the degree that his overall game offers a better opportunity to win games than having a QB with Tua's obvious talents.

There are a number of considerations that go along with this but if I am a parent of one of these young men I would be looking to make the very best decision I could to allow them to maximize their potential. I believe that is a given when recruiting players who aspire to NFL careers.

I look at Jason Eason heading to Washington and tend to wonder did KS end up with the best athlete at QB.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR;31990252)
    Tua and Jalen are too smart to let this play out long term and will force Saban to name a QB early(before fall). That's why we got the grad transfer at QB. Saban knows one of these guys is leaving.
    I don't think Saban is so tied to a plan that if he sees something unraveling at the seams that he wouldn't adjust. I'll give you another scenario that could "force" his hand. We now know wr coach Mike Locksley had to deal with and ultimately stamp out a wr "revolt" due to them getting frustrated with the decision to keep Hurts at QB. Who's to say that during spring practice it becomes overwhelmingly obvious who should be the starter yet Saban continues to slow play the situation giving the impression Hurts has a real chance at the position. Causing the WR's or maybe a big part of the team to start to get frustrated (again) and it starts to impact chemistry. I think if Saban saw signs of this he would go ahead and name a starter. I know what he's trying to do. He's trying to keep both QB's on campus. So he's giving the public perception that both QB's are on equal ground and footing. But what he actually means is they are on equal ground with opportunity. Because anybody who watches these two quarterbacks quickly realizes one is on a different playing level than the other.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Re: Alabama Announces 2018 Spring Practice Schecule

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Download ESPN app on your tablet or phone, and you can watch spring game on your phone.
    Thanks. I have that but Iíll be coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide_21 View Post
    Thanks. I have that but I’ll be coaching.

I've coached and watch ESPN at the same time I'm kidding.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American

Interesting comment from Jess about Deonte Brown potentially moving inside to the D line. Hard to imagine that there aren`t one or two guys on the O line that don`t have experience on the D side. May well be the best way for some of them to see the field, considering the O line numbers and quality.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    I've coached and watch ESPN at the same time I'm kidding.
    I tried that once it did not go well .

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Something else to consider, though, is Tua being a lefty. Is Womack good enough to be Tua's blindside blocker for 12+ games?
    I was thinking something along those lines. Like maybe whoever is your strongest tackle probably needs to be on the right, whereas we typically see them on the left. Maybe J Williams right and Leatherwood left is what we will see? Or vice versa?

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I don't think Saban is so tied to a plan that if he sees something unraveling at the seams that he wouldn't adjust. I'll give you another scenario that could "force" his hand. We now know wr coach Mike Locksley had to deal with and ultimately stamp out a wr "revolt" due to them getting frustrated with the decision to keep Hurts at QB. Who's to say that during spring practice it becomes overwhelmingly obvious who should be the starter yet Saban continues to slow play the situation giving the impression Hurts has a real chance at the position. Causing the WR's or maybe a big part of the team to start to get frustrated (again) and it starts to impact chemistry. I think if Saban saw signs of this he would go ahead and name a starter. I know what he's trying to do. He's trying to keep both QB's on campus. So he's giving the public perception that both QB's are on equal ground and footing. But what he actually means is they are on equal ground with opportunity. Because anybody who watches these two quarterbacks quickly realizes one is on a different playing level than the other.
    I really worry about this one as well. What if our talented WR's decide they would rather transfer and sit out a year than play another year with a QB who can't get them the ball?