Alabama Announces 2018 Spring Practice Schedule

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
This will be the first time where there's no clear cut #1 guy catching balls. At least that's how it looks. For 3 years it was Ridley, before that Cooper, Maze (for a year in 2011), then Julio before that.

My guess is JJ will be the #1 guy, but I think if Tua is back there you'll see the ball spread out around a lot more. Maybe somebody will end up as a clear #1 but I don't think that's necessary.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'd rather see 4 guys with 500+ yards than another year like last year where the reliance on one receiver became a defensible point for limiting the passing attack altogether.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This will be the first time where there's no clear cut #1 guy catching balls. At least that's how it looks. For 3 years it was Ridley, before that Cooper, Maze (for a year in 2011), then Julio before that.

My guess is JJ will be the #1 guy, but I think if Tua is back there you'll see the ball spread out around a lot more. Maybe somebody will end up as a clear #1 but I don't think that's necessary.
They apparently had JJ leading the slot line. I actually think Ruggs is going to put up the best numbers this year but who knows. We have a few guys who could be capable of leading the pack.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
They apparently had JJ leading the slot line. I actually think Ruggs is going to put up the best numbers this year but who knows. We have a few guys who could be capable of leading the pack.
My guess is Ruggs has the best YPC, Jeudy has the most receptions, and then yards and TDs is a toss up. I don't think anyone will have double digit TDs, but at least 4 guys will have 5+ TDs.

It will be much harder to defensively gameplan for Bama this year. Honestly, it will be more difficult than ever. Though, in 2015 it was very easy to gameplan (stop Henry, watch for Coker going deep) for Bama and it didn't seem to help.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
My guess is Ruggs has the best YPC, Jeudy has the most receptions, and then yards and TDs is a toss up. I don't think anyone will have double digit TDs, but at least 4 guys will have 5+ TDs.

It will be much harder to defensively gameplan for Bama this year. Honestly, it will be more difficult than ever. Though, in 2015 it was very easy to gameplan (stop Henry, watch for Coker going deep) for Bama and it didn't seem to help.
That's actually exactly what my prediction has been as well. Specifically Jeudy leading in receptions with Ruggs having a better YPC leading them to be close in both TDs and yards.

Overall, I agree. Its going to be really hard to stop this offense. Even if Tua is just a decent passer (and obviously I think he will be much more) its going to be incredibly hard to stop. The Harris' are going to run right through quite a few teams this year.

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
That's actually exactly what my prediction has been as well. Specifically Jeudy leading in receptions with Ruggs having a better YPC leading them to be close in both TDs and yards.

Overall, I agree. Its going to be really hard to stop this offense. Even if Tua is just a decent passer (and obviously I think he will be much more) its going to be incredibly hard to stop. The Harris' are going to run right through quite a few teams this year.
I expect D. Smith and I. Smith to get several TDs as well.

Fun fact: Calvin Ridley was the only WR last year to average more than 1.0 catches per game.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Fun fact: Calvin Ridley was the only WR last year to average more than 1.0 catches per game.
I agree. Yeah, our passing game had begun to let us down against decent defenses, which most teams in the SEC have at least decent defenses. I don't expect or want us to start throwing it all over the field, but if we have 15 or 20 receptions per game spread all over the field, our running game should be able to pound people into the ground. There may be some games where we need to pass more just because some teams may decide that it is still a better gamble for them to shut down the run and take their chances with our passing game by applying quick pressure. I'm looking forward to seeing what we look like offensively.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'd rather see 4 guys with 500+ yards than another year like last year where the reliance on one receiver became a defensible point for limiting the passing attack altogether.
I'll just be glad to see that all receivers in the route tree are in play for the entire play. How drastic the aggressiveness of a defense drops off when three or four wr's are actively catching balls.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
As for the rest of the team it sounds like they are trying Pierschbacher at center and Casher at LG to start but apparently had different groups working together. Leatherwood was 2nd team and Wills 1st team RT with Womack hurt.

Shavers leading one line of outside WRs through drills is promising. I hope that means he made a lot of progress and is ready to play a bigger role this year.

Interested to see how the DB battles play out but didn't read much useful information from the practice reports yet.
I think that has more to do with Devonta being with the DB's but I do hope he has made progress since his measurements are crazy.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

The confidence Devonta gained with the big heroic catches against MSU and UGA will be valuable. It would not surprise me to see him as our #1 WR at seasons end,

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The confidence Devonta gained with the big heroic catches against MSU and UGA will be valuable. It would not surprise me to see him as our #1 WR at seasons end,
Shortly after the championship game I read an article (I believe on ESPN's website) already talking about the wr's coming back for the 2018 season. The article stated that by the time Jeudy, D Smith and Ruggs left Alabama. They were all going to be first round grade wr's. So no, it wouldn't surprise me either if D Smith ended up as our #1. But he's going to have to really continue to develop because Jeudy has star written all over him.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Shortly after the championship game I read an article (I believe on ESPN's website) already talking about the wr's coming back for the 2018 season. The article stated that by the time Jeudy, D Smith and Ruggs left Alabama. They were all going to be first round grade wr's. So no, it wouldn't surprise me either if D Smith ended up as our #1. But he's going to have to really continue to develop because Jeudy has star written all over him.
The coaching staff believes this. They feel like all 3 will end up being first round picks by the time they leave Tuscaloosa.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think that has more to do with Devonta being with the DB's but I do hope he has made progress since his measurements are crazy.
Agreed but the fact that Shavers isn't behind other WRs is promising to me. Seems like he will get some playing time this year.

Irv Smith is one of the players I'm really interested to see progress this year.
I read that too and it still feels like a stretch to me. Has anyone ever had 3 1st round WRs in the same recruiting class? That said they all seem to be studs. I wish we had more of a passing game last year so we could have a better idea of what all 3 of them can do. This will be the year to really find out.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Agreed but the fact that Shavers isn't behind other WRs is promising to me. Seems like he will get some playing time this year.

Irv Smith is one of the players I'm really interested to see progress this year.

I read that too and it still feels like a stretch to me. Has anyone ever had 3 1st round WRs in the same recruiting class? That said they all seem to be studs. I wish we had more of a passing game last year so we could have a better idea of what all 3 of them can do. This will be the year to really find out.
Agree with you on Shavers getting playing time.

I am also with you on Irv but with Foristall coming back he will be splitting more reps. I am excited about Forristall and think he can be a very good receiving TE.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
How’d we go from broken thumb to only a sprain? Nonetheless awesome news, reps are very important, doesn’t matter how good he is

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.