Alabama Announces 2018 Spring Practice Schedule - Page 9
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Alabama Announces 2018 Spring Practice Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    My guess is Ruggs has the best YPC, Jeudy has the most receptions, and then yards and TDs is a toss up. I don't think anyone will have double digit TDs, but at least 4 guys will have 5+ TDs.

It will be much harder to defensively gameplan for Bama this year. Honestly, it will be more difficult than ever. Though, in 2015 it was very easy to gameplan (stop Henry, watch for Coker going deep) for Bama and it didn't seem to help.
    That's actually exactly what my prediction has been as well. Specifically Jeudy leading in receptions with Ruggs having a better YPC leading them to be close in both TDs and yards.

Overall, I agree. Its going to be really hard to stop this offense. Even if Tua is just a decent passer (and obviously I think he will be much more) its going to be incredibly hard to stop. The Harris' are going to run right through quite a few teams this year.
    Last edited by RollTide_HTTR; March 21st, 2018 at 01:09 PM.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    That's actually exactly what my prediction has been as well. Specifically Jeudy leading in receptions with Ruggs having a better YPC leading them to be close in both TDs and yards.

Overall, I agree. Its going to be really hard to stop this offense. Even if Tua is just a decent passer (and obviously I think he will be much more) its going to be incredibly hard to stop. The Harris' are going to run right through quite a few teams this year.
    I expect D. Smith and I. Smith to get several TDs as well.

Fun fact: Calvin Ridley was the only WR last year to average more than 1.0 catches per game.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Fun fact: Calvin Ridley was the only WR last year to average more than 1.0 catches per game.
    I agree. Yeah, our passing game had begun to let us down against decent defenses, which most teams in the SEC have at least decent defenses. I don't expect or want us to start throwing it all over the field, but if we have 15 or 20 receptions per game spread all over the field, our running game should be able to pound people into the ground. There may be some games where we need to pass more just because some teams may decide that it is still a better gamble for them to shut down the run and take their chances with our passing game by applying quick pressure. I'm looking forward to seeing what we look like offensively.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I'd rather see 4 guys with 500+ yards than another year like last year where the reliance on one receiver became a defensible point for limiting the passing attack altogether.
    I'll just be glad to see that all receivers in the route tree are in play for the entire play. How drastic the aggressiveness of a defense drops off when three or four wr's are actively catching balls.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

As for the rest of the team it sounds like they are trying Pierschbacher at center and Casher at LG to start but apparently had different groups working together. Leatherwood was 2nd team and Wills 1st team RT with Womack hurt.

Shavers leading one line of outside WRs through drills is promising. I hope that means he made a lot of progress and is ready to play a bigger role this year.

Interested to see how the DB battles play out but didn't read much useful information from the practice reports yet.
    I think that has more to do with Devonta being with the DB's but I do hope he has made progress since his measurements are crazy.

The confidence Devonta gained with the big heroic catches against MSU and UGA will be valuable. It would not surprise me to see him as our #1 WR at seasons end,

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    The confidence Devonta gained with the big heroic catches against MSU and UGA will be valuable. It would not surprise me to see him as our #1 WR at seasons end,
    Shortly after the championship game I read an article (I believe on ESPN's website) already talking about the wr's coming back for the 2018 season. The article stated that by the time Jeudy, D Smith and Ruggs left Alabama. They were all going to be first round grade wr's. So no, it wouldn't surprise me either if D Smith ended up as our #1. But he's going to have to really continue to develop because Jeudy has star written all over him.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Shortly after the championship game I read an article (I believe on ESPN's website) already talking about the wr's coming back for the 2018 season. The article stated that by the time Jeudy, D Smith and Ruggs left Alabama. They were all going to be first round grade wr's. So no, it wouldn't surprise me either if D Smith ended up as our #1. But he's going to have to really continue to develop because Jeudy has star written all over him.
    The coaching staff believes this. They feel like all 3 will end up being first round picks by the time they leave Tuscaloosa.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    I think that has more to do with Devonta being with the DB's but I do hope he has made progress since his measurements are crazy.
    Agreed but the fact that Shavers isn't behind other WRs is promising to me. Seems like he will get some playing time this year.

Irv Smith is one of the players I'm really interested to see progress this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I read that too and it still feels like a stretch to me. Has anyone ever had 3 1st round WRs in the same recruiting class? That said they all seem to be studs. I wish we had more of a passing game last year so we could have a better idea of what all 3 of them can do. This will be the year to really find out.

Agreed but the fact that Shavers isn't behind other WRs is promising to me. Seems like he will get some playing time this year.

Irv Smith is one of the players I'm really interested to see progress this year.

I read that too and it still feels like a stretch to me. Has anyone ever had 3 1st round WRs in the same recruiting class? That said they all seem to be studs. I wish we had more of a passing game last year so we could have a better idea of what all 3 of them can do. This will be the year to really find out.
    Agree with you on Shavers getting playing time.

I am also with you on Irv but with Foristall coming back he will be splitting more reps. I am excited about Forristall and think he can be a very good receiving TE.

BamaNation All-American

The route trees have a chance to be really something special this year.

BamaNation First Team

This info may have been posted, but if so, I missed it.

"Alabama's quarterback competition shouldn't have to be put on hold for too long.

The hand injury Tua Tagovailoa suffered Tuesday is believed to just be a sprain and he should be able to return to practice in at least a limited capacity at some point soon, sources told AL.com."
    http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/in...f_tua_tag.html

BamaNation First Team MobileCrimson's Avatar

Tua's injury seems to be just a sprain and is expected to return sooner than originally thought.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/al...s-hand-injury/