Link: Officially too far: UCF Championship license plates

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
Re: Officially too far: UCF National Championship license plates

Well, they are undefeated Champions of their conference. So, it's not a false statement. If it said Undefeated NATIONAL Champions, I might feel that they were trespassing on property belonging to Bama.

ROLL TIDE!
My thoughts as well.

Let 'em have their fun. The other 49 states are all secretly laughing at them.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

The last time I was in a Florida DMV office, they had over 100 different plates of this type to choose from. This is a big revenue generator for the Florida DMV. If they want to pay $50 to Florida to put this on their car, more power to them. It helps keep my car registration fees down.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

You actually think a RECOGNIZED champion like USC is WORSE than what UCF is doing here?
REEEEAAALLLYYYYY??????
Haha, no. Just having offseason fun. My true feelings on 2003 is that it should have been LSU v USCw. That offseason, Saban said he had no problem with the split championship and started advocating a "plus one" scenario which I guess is what we technically have today.

UCF is acting like Tubberville with the Golf Digest trophy. How's that? :)

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

We need to do some scientific research on the people of Florida. There is something in the water there making them all crazy and a bit dumb.
I can't speak for Bazza, but I resent that. We're more than a bit dumb.:) If it had said national champs on the new tag, I would have ordered one with the letters NOT on it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

The suckery of next season will quickly make this go away. We live in a what have you done for me lately society. Your next game is what you are remembered by and as the losses for next season begin to pile up. Their antics of the present will look more and more foolish and my guess is they will be removing the license plates and putting the championship t shirts in the closet.
Kiffin and FAU is going to beat the brakes off UCF next season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Haha, no. Just having offseason fun. My true feelings on 2003 is that it should have been LSU v USCw. That offseason, Saban said he had no problem with the split championship and started advocating a "plus one" scenario which I guess is what we technically have today.

UCF is acting like Tubberville with the Golf Digest trophy. How's that? :)
Tubby and Auburn BOT never really pushed it. It was mostly fans and players. I still think no one was beating USC that year, but again Oklahoma got in with an inferior team while still milking the 2000 championship. It’s the biggest reason I can’t stand Oklahoma they get the benefit of the doubt 99% of the time for absolutely no reason.

FWIW when JAcobs was seeing if there were championship claims in the past. I thought it would be fun to watch if they claimed 2004 with the contract agreements that weren’t fulfilled for a NC for Tubby.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

Since I write songs and I've been given a lot of praise from my peers for my songwriting, I think I'm going to award myself a Grammy. Does anybody know of a company who can duplicate that trophy/statue for me?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Since I write songs and I've been given a lot of praise from my peers for my songwriting, I think I'm going to award myself a Grammy. Does anybody know of a company who can duplicate that trophy/statue for me?
I think that CA has one of those (real one). Maybe he can help. :biggrin2:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

You know, we oughta get new 'Bama general dogsbody (er, offensive analyst!) Botch Jones to mint UCF personally-autographed Champions of Life in a Fishbowl license plates. That would show 'em...

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Nope. USC won the AP poll. It was a legit claim...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Several of you had said this, and I understand where you are coming from. But I do disagree for this reason. Back when they started the BCS, the AP agreed to be a part of the selection process with their poll, and have it is a factor in the final outcome. They were all fine with having the champ come from the BCS game until they disagreed with the selection. So, they took their ball and went home that year, naming their own champ. Had their poll never been a factor at all in the decision, I would be completely ok with them naming their own. But their poll was considered, and their choice didn't win out. So, they cried like a little girl and did their own thing. Easy for them to name a champ that didn't have to beat either Oklahoma or LSU in the championship game, I guess. But for that year, both the AP and USC can stick it. And this is coming from a guy who really doesn't like LSU at all.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Several of you had said this, and I understand where you are coming from. But I do disagree for this reason. Back when they started the BCS, the AP agreed to be a part of the selection process with their poll, and have it is a factor in the final outcome. They were all fine with having the champ come from the BCS game until they disagreed with the selection. So, they took their ball and went home that year, naming their own champ. Had their poll never been a factor at all in the decision, I would be completely ok with them naming their own. But their poll was considered, and their choice didn't win out. So, they cried like a little girl and did their own thing. Easy for them to name a champ that didn't have to beat either Oklahoma or LSU in the championship game, I guess. But for that year, both the AP and USC can stick it. And this is coming from a guy who really doesn't like LSU at all.
To clarify three points:

* The AP was not asked about the use of their poll in the BCS formula. The BCS just made that decision.
* The AP asked that their poll be dropped from the BCS formula in December of 2004, not in 2003. They made that request because they did not agree with the teams chosen by the BCS formula in 2002 or 2003.
* The AP never agreed to let the BCS game decide their champion. Every year during the BCS they had a final vote after the BCS game was played and awarded their trophy to their #1 ranked team.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

To clarify three points:

* The AP was not asked about the use of their poll in the BCS formula. The BCS just made that decision.
* The AP asked that their poll be dropped from the BCS formula in December of 2004, not in 2003. They made that request because they did not agree with the teams chosen by the BCS formula in 2002 or 2003.
* The AP never agreed to let the BCS game decide their champion. Every year during the BCS they had a final vote after the BCS game was played and awarded their trophy to their #1 ranked team.
Aww man! You went and brought facts into my perfectly content hatred of the AP. I don't care. Hate them anyway.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I had a colleague whose son goes to UCF tell me this week that UCF went undefeated and was the national champion. Straight face.
I just let out a bit of a laugh and changed the subject.
These folks really do believe they should have been national champions.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No the BCS was 100% wrong that year. It should’ve been USC vs LSU. Oklahoma got blasted in conference championship weekend but got rewarded nonetheless. So I would say since the system forked up 2 champs were the right call.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
No the BCS was 100% wrong that year. It should’ve been USC vs LSU. Oklahoma got blasted in conference championship weekend but got rewarded nonetheless. So I would say since the system forked up 2 champs were the right call.
So, by that philosophy, it is ok for UCF to say the playoff committee got it wrong and they are champs? Is that your contention? That if the existing system doesn't get it right in your opinion, anyone else can lay claim to the title?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, by that philosophy, it is ok for UCF to say the playoff committee got it wrong and they are champs? Is that your contention? That if the existing system doesn't get it right in your opinion, anyone else can lay claim to the title?
It's not really the same thing since USC did not declare themselves champions. The AP, a recognized institution that had been rewarding champions for over a half century, did so.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.