Link: Officially too far: UCF Championship license plates

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
It's not really the same thing since USC did not declare themselves champions. The AP, a recognized institution that had been rewarding champions for over a half century, did so.
Well, there is some other poll service that declared UCF, so I guess that's fine then. Both went outside of the recognized system for rewarding the championship to get there, but if it's ok to do that, then I guess we have to accept it any time it happens. Funny how as Bama fans the collective group seems to be ok with USC taking one from LSU but we scoff at UCF. To me, it's the same thing. Neither won the championship by the way that is, for all intents and purposes, the recognized way of rewarding the national championship. I know the NCAA does not recognize a champion. But there is a national championship, and was in both years in debate here. One was won by LSU, the other by Alabama. Anyone else claiming a title for those years can pound sand. I liken it to claiming that Hillary is the president since she won your state.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, there is some other poll service that declared UCF, so I guess that's fine then. Both went outside of the recognized system for rewarding the championship to get there, but if it's ok to do that, then I guess we have to accept it any time it happens. Funny how as Bama fans the collective group seems to be ok with USC taking one from LSU but we scoff at UCF. To me, it's the same thing. Neither won the championship by the way that is, for all intents and purposes, the recognized way of rewarding the national championship. I know the NCAA does not recognize a champion. But there is a national championship, and was in both years in debate here. One was won by LSU, the other by Alabama. Anyone else claiming a title for those years can pound sand. I liken it to claiming that Hillary is the president since she won your state.
Do you honestly not see the difference in the AP awarding a championship and the Nevada Dentistry magazine?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, there is some other poll service that declared UCF, so I guess that's fine then.
I enjoy your posts - we just disagree here. There is a huge difference between the AP and some obscure poll, IMO.

Alabama has a bunch of AP trophies in its case, including 5 from the Saban years, so Alabama certainly values its AP national championships.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Do you honestly not see the difference in the AP awarding a championship and the Nevada Dentistry magazine?
I definitely do. But the point remains that there is an established way for recognizing the champion. Any claim outside of earning it that way is not valid, in my opinion. I don't know why we bother having playoffs and title games if we are still going to recognize claims from outside that method.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So, by that philosophy, it is ok for UCF to say the playoff committee got it wrong and they are champs? Is that your contention? That if the existing system doesn't get it right in your opinion, anyone else can lay claim to the title?

I can’t see anything comparable between USC’s and UCF’s National Championship claims other than neither got to play in a “defacto” championship. The AP has awarded and still awards national championships to this day, and they are a highly respected entity that does it. Dan Lebetard and what ever surfer magazine claiming that UCF is the champs is not. There is absolutely no comparison. USC has a legitimate claim, UCF does not.

As far as system, you can make a way stronger case that USC was robbed of the Sugar Bowl bid than UCF did with a playoff bid. USC won their conference and lost in a double ot game against Aaron Rodgers on the road while OU gets pounded on a neutral site the night before voting in a conference championship game. The only close argument for this year’s playoff bid was tOSU and many people got in line about it after the Rose and Sugar Bowls. So even comparing the two on this front is an extremely weak argument.

Point is the AP national championships are legitimate titles.

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Are you actually trying to argue or just make us all throw our typing devices over your point?

I can’t see anything comparable between USC’s and UCF’s National Championship claims other than neither got to play in a “defacto” championship. The AP has awarded and still awards national championships to this day, and they are a highly respected entity that does it. Dan Lebetard and what ever surfer magazine claiming that UCF is the champs is not. There is absolutely no comparison. USC has a legitimate claim, UCF does not.

As far as system, you can make a way stronger case that USC was robbed of the Sugar Bowl bid than UCF did with a playoff bid. USC won their conference and lost in a double ot game against Aaron Rodgers on the road while OU gets pounded on a neutral site the night before voting in a conference championship game. The only close argument for this year’s playoff bid was tOSU and many people got in line about it after the Rose and Sugar Bowls. So even comparing the two on this front is an extremely weak argument.
Fine. Let's pretend for a moment that it was Alabama, and not LSU, who had won that game versus Oklahoma in the year that the AP gave the title to USC. Would as many people here still be in favor of them claiming that championship? I doubt it.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I am not comparing one to the other. I know there is a big difference between the way that USC's and UCF's title claims. However, there is an accepted system for recognizing the national champion now. This isn't the 1940's when 20 different teams claimed a national title every year. There is a system. For better or worse, that is what is in place. And that is the only method by which a national title can be claimed. Are we now going to recognize the winner of the NIT as conference basketball champs?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Fine. Let's pretend for a moment that it was Alabama, and not LSU, who had won that game versus Oklahoma in the year that the AP gave the title to USC. Would as many people here still be in favor of them claiming that championship? I doubt it.
We would mostly look at like we look at it like we do with 64 and 78. But I believe everyone would move on and accept that there was a different opinion amongst the AP and be more open to the idea of dual championship. Oklahoma getting to play in the Sugar bowl was the only reason there was any debate. Had they beaten KSU then there would be 1 champ.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There was a lot of talk about a split title in 2002. I would have been fine with that. We (OSU) would still be champions. Someone else also being declared champions would not take that away.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am not comparing one to the other. I know there is a big difference between the way that USC's and UCF's title claims. However, there is an accepted system for recognizing the national champion now. This isn't the 1940's when 20 different teams claimed a national title every year. There is a system. For better or worse, that is what is in place. And that is the only method by which a national title can be claimed. Are we now going to recognize the winner of the NIT as conference basketball champs?
Does the AP award a national championship still? Yes so there is still legitimacy with the AP national champion.

And also remember that USC never declared themselves national champs until the AP awarded it to them. UCF and south Florida media started this claim.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Does the AP award a national championship still? Yes so there is still legitimacy with the AP national champion.

And also remember that USC never declared themselves national champs until the AP awarded it to them. UCF and south Florida media started this claim.
and 4 idiots voted for UCF in the AP

even UGA fans are laughing at them now.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
and 4 idiots voted for UCF in the AP

even UGA fans are laughing at them now.
Yeah and those idiots are from Connecticut, Orlando, Nebraska, and Oklahoma. So we have 1 clearly biased (Orlando), 1 that I’m still wondering how they have a football team ( Connecticut), and two midwesterns still butt hurt about 2011. But the AP still awarded us the National Championship so who cares if UCF got 4 idiot votes.

But it is funny.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/from-the-sports-editor/os-sp-ucf-no-1-ap-voters-0110-story,amp.html

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah and those idiots are from Connecticut, Orlando, Nebraska, and Oklahoma. So we have 1 clearly biased (Orlando), 1 that I’m still wondering how they have a football team ( Connecticut), and two midwesterns still butt hurt about 2011. But the AP still awarded us the National Championship so who cares if UCF got 4 idiot votes.

But it is funny.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.orla.../os-sp-ucf-no-1-ap-voters-0110-story,amp.html
Betting the writer from Nebraska isn't still mad about 2011 but voted for UCF for Nebraska reasons.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
It was originally to read "Winners of the Boise-State-we-deserve-to-be-National-Champions-for-scheduling-and-beating-a-bunch-of-patsies-year-in-and-year-out-but-can't-get-any-respect-trophy," but that was too long to fit on the tag.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.