Link: Officially too far: UCF Championship license plates

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
As long as the NCAA and the record books recognizes Alabama as "THE ONLY" National Champion then UCF can run around screaming to anybody who would listen that they are also National Champs for all I care.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
As long as the NCAA and the record books recognizes Alabama as "THE ONLY" National Champion then UCF can run around screaming to anybody who would listen that they are also National Champs for all I care.
The NCAA doesn’t recognize us (or any FBS team) as national champions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The titles were not awarded by the NCAA. They are just listing ones awarded by various media outlets and power conference alliances.

I think UCF’s claim is silly. The t-shirts were one thing, but the rings, signs, and police car were over the top. I was just pointing out our title isn’t any more official in the eyes of the NCAA than theirs is.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It really pains me to look at this and see how close Bama is to having 7 championships in a row...

Should've beaten the barn in 2013 and we would've destroyed FSU
Were leading OSU 21-6 in 2014 before total collapse
And had Clemson beat with 2:00 to go in 2016

If only...
It's actually pretty crazy when you look at it this way. The media and fans of other teams really enjoy looking at the breaks we have received in seasons where we win it all but the reality is we have just as many breaks go the other way and cost us seasons. I mean, the kick six is still the most absurd way to lose a game ever. I don't know about everyone else but I felt pretty confident we would have beat them in OT.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It's actually pretty crazy when you look at it this way. The media and fans of other teams really enjoy looking at the breaks we have received in seasons where we win it all but the reality is we have just as many breaks go the other way and cost us seasons. I mean, the kick six is still the most absurd way to lose a game ever. I don't know about everyone else but I felt pretty confident we would have beat them in OT.
I didn’t. Nussmeir handcuffed AJ and Cooper the whole game, and was bound and determined to have Yeldon break through a stacked box. Had we had Kiffin that day we probably get to name the score, but Nussmeir costed us that game before the kick was ever made.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
It really pains me to look at this and see how close Bama is to having 7 championships in a row...

Should've beaten the barn in 2013 and we would've destroyed FSU
Were leading OSU 21-6 in 2014 before total collapse
And had Clemson beat with 2:00 to go in 2016

If only...
Yep - it's INSANE when you think just how Very CLOSE we are to 3, 4, or even SEVEN CONSECUTIVE National Titles. :eek2:

2013 aub game - officials wouldn't throw a flag on the barn if their lives depended on it, and in that place, their lives MIGHT have hung in the balance had they officiated that game fairly! Still, (and say what you want about Doug Nussmeier) but we had covered for a Very POOR OL all season (Thanks, Mario!), and just couldn't work around that glaring weakness at the barn. But even ONE more First down in the 4th quarter, and the clock runs out with us ahead...... I'd have liked our chances against Jimblo's FRU team.

2014 - Once again, a team that - truth be told - Radically outperformed what they "should" have been capable of. That may have been one of Kirby's weakest Defenses in his time at UA. And yet, IF we could somehow have come up with just a COUPLE Third Down stops in the second half, it would have been anyone's game. Get past O$U and we'd have Destroyed Oregon.

2016 - Again, poor officiating rears its ugly head. As we all know, Clempson scored their last TWO TD's on pretty flagrant ..... uh..... "rub" plays - outright illegal Picks, but no Ref would dare call it in the 4th quarter of a NC game. STILL, that was NOT what lost the game for us. Dabo and Brent Venables actually watched our films, and the total ABSENCE on any passing threat Finally caught up with us. Clem ran 99 offensive plays, because or offense Failed to convert EVEN ONE SINGLE THIRD DOWN ATTEMPT after the First Quarter - we ended the night 2 of 15 on third down, with Zero successful 3rd down conversions for three full quarters of play. :-(

Yep, I really DO remember the Losses more than the wins! LOL!!! ;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
But we did shut this guy up...

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/05/nebraskas_mid-90s_teams_were_b.html

“In my mind, I already know which team was better. I say it publicly all the time that I don’t think there’s any team out there that could beat that ’95 team, and over a five-year span I don’t think too many teams put up that record."

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
The titles were not awarded by the NCAA. They are just listing ones awarded by various media outlets and power conference alliances.

I think UCF’s claim is silly. The t-shirts were one thing, but the rings, signs, and police car were over the top. I was just pointing out our title isn’t any more official in the eyes of the NCAA than theirs is.

ALL this "noise" will disappear about 4-5 weeks into the season, when UCF posts their Third Loss.....

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
For those who weren't here or don't recall, I addressed this dynasty thing back in June 2013.

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197784&p=2167106&viewfull=1#post2167106
In 2013 it was a pretty good argument, and there were reasonable points to be made on both sides. "IMO" Your analysis was very good - at least as good (if not better) than anything I can recall reading on the topic, back when it was an open question.

Obviously, I agree with your conclusion, and naturally, time has removed any shadow of a doubt!

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
Fake national championship

I for one see where this should be ncaa penalty for recruiting porpoises. If I'm another Team in Fla or anywhere for that matter see this as a recruiting lie. After that I could care less what they do.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Re: Fake national championship

I for one see where this should be ncaa penalty for recruiting porpoises. If I'm another Team in Fla or anywhere for that matter see this as a recruiting lie. After that I could care less what they do.
Whatcha talkin' bout, Willis?

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
Re: Fake national championship

We should play them, with the condition that if they lose they must remove all references to this fake national championship.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.