Rumor: Memphis Considering Replacing Smith with Penny Hardaway as Coach

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
ESPN Reporting (19-MAR): Memphis Hiring Penny Hardaway as Coach

Memphis is reportedly considering Penny Hardaway as its next head coach

The most interesting part of Parrish’s report? Hardaway is apparently targeting Hall of Famer Larry Brown as an assistant.

Hardaway has an obvious appeal as one of the most famous players in Memphis history. He also comes with strong relationships to some of the top players in the 2019 class, including No. 1 overall James Wiseman, who plays for Hardaway at East Memphis and for his Nike grassroots program, Team Penny.

Hardaway also coaches D.J. Jeffries (No. 17 overall in 2019, per ESPN) on Team Penny and Chandler Lawson (No. 26 overall) in both high school and grassroots ball.
ETA: changed title to indicate that the rumor aspects are all but gone. ESPN reporting on 19-MAR-2018 that Hardaway and Memphis have agreed to his hiring with announcement to be made on 20-MAR...oops, this didn't work as far as the main title.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is real good move. I've seen Hardaway coaching in person. This dude can coach! Kids play hard for him. His Recuiting ability is good, and he has connections with lot of High school kids... so he should do just fine at Memphis.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Not really... hardaway has been linked to Memphis for a while.
Maybe so, but look at the one and dones he is coaching that aren't even interested in Memphis. Hire him and snag two out of three and instant excitement to your program.

Don't even get me started on the slimy AAU angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is real good move. I've seen Hardaway coaching in person. This dude can coach! Kids play hard for him. His Recuiting ability is good, and he has connections with lot of High school kids... so he should do just fine at Memphis.
What recruiting has he done? As far as I can tell, he's never coached college.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
What recruiting has he done? As far as I can tell, he's never coached college.
Looks like he literally rode some middle School kids to the high school job, and if he gets the Memphis gig it will be more about his legend and who plays for him right now than his coaching. I think that's why recruiting Larry Brown is so critical. With him on board Penny can point to him and say, "At least one of us knows what we're doing." [emoji3]

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Looks like he literally rode some middle School kids to the high school job, and if he gets the Memphis gig it will be more about his legend and who plays for him right now than his coaching. I think that's why recruiting Larry Brown is so critical. With him on board Penny can point to him and say, "At least one of us knows what we're doing." [emoji3]

I think he should've hired Chris Rock --

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
And before you say anything about HS and AAU, there is some recuiting going on behind the scene especially the HS... it may not be legal, but it happens.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
*blank stare*
RTR, I was talking about AAU and High school. I never said anything about college recruiting, being that he has never coached at a college level.
Say that next time since the job in question is college and when you say he would be good because he recruits well the immediate thought is college recruiting.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think the back door AAU money is going to dry up, if it hasn't already, and he needs the income. He has run an AAU circuit for a while and I suspect he has influenced kids to particular schools. He can make good money to coach Memphis and there is always pretty good talent locally. Tubby is a good coach, but he should have stayed at Minnesota. He'd been able to retire there.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
*blank stare*
RTR, I was talking about AAU and High school. I never said anything about college recruiting, being that he has never coached at a college level.
Yes, private schools and public schools; especially public schools with open enrollment. East High in Memphis is loaded with talent; not all live within the district but they have open enrollment so that aspect is within the rules.

Tubby Smith attorney: Is Penny Hardaway factor in Memphis players not signing with Tigers?

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Tubby Smith Fired

I'm not sure, but I think the university has to go through a specific process before hiring a coach but Penny Hardaway is still considered the leading candidate. The article lists other coaches that could be under consideration.

This may not be a big deal to Bama fans but there is a possibility it can affect Bama's recruiting directly or indirectly.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Memphis' hire looks to add some life to a program that has struggled in the latter years of the Tubby Smith regime. Smith won 19 games his first year and 21 the second, but the Tigers didn't make any postseason tournaments, and attendance has been down.
Latter years of Smith regime? He only got TWO years! LOL

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Penny will be fine. That man can coach. I've seen him coach in person and he's real good. Only thing is, he'll learn on the fly this fall because he's going up against well seasoned coaches...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.