7 questions with former Alabama, New England great John Hannah

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I remember watching the "Bear Bryant Show" and it was a game that we won 66-3. If I remember it was against Vandy. There was a play where John Hannah was pulling to block down and the DE ran away from him! Coach Bryant said something like "I don't blame him" and had a good laugh about it.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I saw John about 10 years ago on a flight into Birmingham. Watching him get off the plane was painful. He shuffled along like a 75 year old. You could tell all those years in the trenches had taken its toll.

The Hannah boys will always have a special place in Alabama football history.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I saw John about 10 years ago on a flight into Birmingham. Watching him get off the plane was painful. He shuffled along like a 75 year old. You could tell all those years in the trenches had taken its toll.

The Hannah boys will always have a special place in Alabama football history.
Billy Neighbors was the same way. We'd go to lunch and I'd have to allow a couple of minutes for him to walk from the office to the car. They gave him a award at a game a few years before he passed and it seemed as if it took 15 minutes for him to walk from the end zone to midfield. Billy was also short. He was 6' even. He also echoed what Hannah said - he could get under taller guys for run blocking and, with very long arms, he could also hold off the rush...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Billy Neighbors was the same way. We'd go to lunch and I'd have to allow a couple of minutes for him to walk from the office to the car. They gave him a award at a game a few years before he passed and it seemed as if it took 15 minutes for him to walk from the end zone to midfield. Billy was also short. He was 6' even. He also echoed what Hannah said - he could get under taller guys for run blocking and, with very long arms, he could also hold off the rush...
I've heard from multiple athletes that all of the benefits from participating in big time athletics (comradery, glory, money, renown, contacts, satisfaction, etc.) far outweighed the pain and limitations they were now enduring. If you can say, did you get that impression from Mr. Neighbors ? I'm sure there are exceptions, especially if it affects more than mobility and pain.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've heard from multiple athletes that all of the benefits from participating in big time athletics (comradery, glory, money, renown, contacts, satisfaction, etc.) far outweighed the pain and limitations they were now enduring. If you can say, did you get that impression from Mr. Neighbors ? I'm sure there are exceptions, especially if it affects more than mobility and pain.
If he regretted the battering, he never mentioned it except in sort of a laconic fatalistic manner. He always said I was as beaten up as an old NFL player. :) I fear that CTE was beginning to set in. His death hit me hard because of our long friendship but also because we were the same age. I was about six weeks older...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Met John when I was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri back in the mid-70`s. He was there, if memory serves, for a church related function I believe (but not sure ). He was being hosted by a chaplain and his family who were our neighbors in quarters. He invited me over to meet John, knowing where I went to school and that I was a fan. John was just as nice, friendly and personable as he could be. We talked for quite a while about his time at Alabama and Coach Bryant. I remember that though he was a big man of course, he didn`t seem overly massive by any stretch. I do remember being surprised at his height, only maybe an inch taller than myself.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Met John when I was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri back in the mid-70`s. He was there, if memory serves, for a church related function I believe (but not sure ). He was being hosted by a chaplain and his family who were our neighbors in quarters. He invited me over to meet John, knowing where I went to school and that I was a fan. John was just as nice, friendly and personable as he could be. We talked for quite a while about his time at Alabama and Coach Bryant. I remember that though he was a big man of course, he didn`t seem overly massive by any stretch. I do remember being surprised at his height, only maybe an inch taller than myself.
From a friend who shook hands with him: he had massive, thick fingers and hands. Big and strong hands are probably more of an indication of one's strength as any other indicator.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Billy Neighbors was one heck of a blue collar ball player, and I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally, but he was surely a fine American. I too was saddened by the news of his passing. Enjoyed watching his sons on the field. Always loved his supportive comments on the Tide. Just made you feel good to know that Billy Neighbors was evaluating things in T-town.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Billy Neighbors was one heck of a blue collar ball player, and I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally, but he was surely a fine American. I too was saddened by the news of his passing. Enjoyed watching his sons on the field. Always loved his supportive comments on the Tide. Just made you feel good to know that Billy Neighbors was evaluating things in T-town.
Yes. OTOH, no one was more modest and humble than he. He would make an observation and then say something to the effect that what did he know, he was just an offensive lineman and didn't know what was happening more than three yards in front of him. (He talked to Mal Moore daily.) :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.