Florida passes bill for year round daylight savings

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Is there really any reason we need FOUR time zones in the US? How about two - East & West? It would solve a lot of “gonna miss the start of the game” Left Coast gripes.....move start times forward one hour in prime time & maybe I’m not one am going to bed after we beat UGA (getting up at 430).

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Or we could just change the time everyone goes to work/school so it makes sense all year round and leave the time alone.
I've never understood why we don't just shift the whole thing 30 minutes and split the difference permanently rather than bounce back and forth an hour each year.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Is there really any reason we need FOUR time zones in the US? How about two - East & West? It would solve a lot of “gonna miss the start of the game” Left Coast gripes.....move start times forward one hour in prime time & maybe I’m not one am going to bed after we beat UGA (getting up at 430).
link

there is some discussion of it here.

Time zones

By the latter part of the nineteenth century, scientists, railroads and other emerging industries felt the need for a global standard of time. The first such system, using 24 standard time zones, was proposed by Sir Sandford Fleming in 1876. Sandford was a Scottish engineer, who helped design the Canadian railway network. His system wasn't officially sanctioned by any global entity, but by 1900 it spawned the adoption of the time zone system in use today. Nation by nation, the world bought into Fleming's idea.

Within each time zone, all clocks would be set to an average time that best represented where the Sun was located in the sky. That time is called mean solar time. Sundials, by comparison, measure apparent solar time, sometimes called true solar time.

The time-zone process began in 1883 for the United States, when the nation was divided into four standard time zones. Each zone was centered on a meridian of longitude:

Eastern Standard Time (EST) at 75 degrees W (west of the Prime Meridian)
Central Standard Time (CST) at 90 degrees W
Mountain Standard Time (MST) at 105 degrees W
Pacific Standard Time (PST) at 120 degrees W

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Or we could just change the time everyone goes to work/school so it makes sense all year round and leave the time alone.
Are you saying adjust the times during the year which would basically result in what we have now but by a different means?

I've never understood why we don't just shift the whole thing 30 minutes and split the difference permanently rather than bounce back and forth an hour each year.
This would leave differences between local time and zulu time even more confusing and make it more difficult to deal with time internationally. ETA: Oh, nevermind, I was thinking of changes in US only. So change Greenwich Mean Time by 30 minutes; I like that.

I'd like to be able to sleep later during gun season for deer (bow season is earlier in the year so okay there...) and get a little more time to get set up on evenings after work. I'm for changing time this Sunday then leaving the clocks alone forever.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Are you saying adjust the times during the year which would basically result in what we have now but by a different means?

This would leave differences between local time and zulu time even more confusing and make it more difficult to deal with time internationally. ETA: Oh, nevermind, I was thinking of changes in US only. So change Greenwich Mean Time by 30 minutes; I like that.

I'd like to be able to sleep later during gun season for deer (bow season is earlier in the year so okay there...) and get a little more time to get set up on evenings after work. I'm for changing time this Sunday then leaving the clocks alone forever.
It would be one adjustment permanently just to even out the difference between the spring forward/fall back. There's probably some reason it wouldn't work that is too fancy for me to know but it has always seemed like a simple fix.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
link

there is some discussion of it here.
I get why we used to have them but that precedes things like Airlines (not yet invented) and we don’t really depend so much on rail as we did.

I can see why we’d need two but four nowadays.....blah.

School used to start after Labor Day too. We moved on as a society though.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Yes, to make it so that everyone roughly (within an hour) has days start (light) and end (dark) at the same time

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

No.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Just split the difference and permanently do 30 minutes. Compromise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gander Newfoundland is 3:30 behind Greenwich time in the winter and 2:30 in the summer. I remember the air traffic controller at Gander tower wishing us happy new year while we were on final approach. It was 03:30 UTC

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Gander Newfoundland is 3:30 behind Greenwich time in the winter and 2:30 in the summer. I remember the air traffic controller at Gander tower wishing us happy new year while we were on final approach. It was 03:30 UTC
Wow! I never realized Gander was that far east...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I would just like for us to pick one and stay with it. I like having longer evenings, but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I’m very groggy this morning. Coffee hasn’t hit. Body says 7:30 but my phone reads 8:30. Did I mentioned I’m really groggy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.