Link: Derrick Henry to be featured back...

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Re: Derrick Henry to be feature back

I just love Derrick! A great person who deserves everything he gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

He earned it all season, but sealed the deal in the playoffs.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

DH will go down as one of the most freakish athletes I've ever witnessed in my life.

Nice to see him getting this - he earned it!

RTR

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I've got to eat a little crow when it comes to D Henry. I didn't think he would make it to this point as a RB in the NFL. Coming out college the knock on him was the lack of quickness in his lateral movement when it came to his footwork (specifically in the backfield). No one questioned his ability once he got past the line of scrimmage and got going. But there is no question he has put in the work and has more than improved this part of his game and it is paying off. He's now the featured back for the Tennessee Titans. Great job D Henry!!! Now can someone pass the Heinz 57?! This crow's got some feet and feathers that need to be seasoned. LOL!

Last edited:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

I've got to eat a little crow when it comes to D Henry. I didn't think he would make it to this point as a RB in the NFL. Coming out college the knock on him was the lack of quickness in his lateral movement when it came to his footwork (specifically in the backfield). No one questioned his ability once he got past the line of scrimmage and got going. But there is no question he has put in the work and has more than improved this part of his game and it is paying off. He's now the featured back for the Tennessee Titans. Great job D Henry!!! Now can someone pass the Heinz 57?! This crow's got some feet and feathers that need to be seasoned. LOL!
As much as I love DH at Alabama, I did not think he would have lasted this long in the NFL. I honestly though TR3 would have had the longer and better career. So, I am glad DH proved me wrong. Here's to Henry lighting defense next year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I was worried also about the same factors and it seemed to hinder him at first and he's still subject to getting his pins knocked out from under him at the LOS occasionally. However, give him time and he'll make it up to you. I do kinda wonder if they'll acquire a 3rd down type back, more compact and shiftier, with good hands...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

It still could impact him like others have said. The Titans will likely look for a RB (if they don't already have one idk about) to compliment his style. IIRC I read something about how they ran more sweeps and outside runs when Henry was in the game this past season.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

It still could impact him like others have said. The Titans will likely look for a RB (if they don't already have one idk about) to compliment his style. IIRC I read something about how they ran more sweeps and outside runs when Henry was in the game this past season.
What caused Henry issues (at least when at Bama) was when there was a yard or two penetration between the tackles (a step or two in front of him once he had the ball), he struggled to avoid the traffic with a quick lateral shuffle step and then go forward. But I watched him a few times in 2017 and his feet are a lot quicker and he's more nimble and agile than he was in college. He has worked very hard to improve this part of his game.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Buzzard, there are indeed some things in life that it`s nice to be wrong about, would you not agree ? :)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

What caused Henry issues (at least when at Bama) was when there was a yard or two penetration between the tackles (a step or two in front of him once he had the ball), he struggled to avoid the traffic with a quick lateral shuffle step and then go forward. But I watched him a few times in 2017 and his feet are a lot quicker and he's more nimble and agile than he was in college. He has worked very hard to improve this part of his game.
Henry made significant improvement during his final year at Bama in both lateral movement and the lower, forward lean when being tackled in traffic.

Also made some crushing blocks; especially in pass protection.

Last edited:

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018

One of the most exciting and awe inspiring athletes I have ever watched. EVERYONE knew he was getting the ball and I just loved it when linebackers would not put a shoulder on him towards the end of a game. They didn't even want to hit him low. And the stiff arm...
Priceless.
Not sure how to imbed video can only post link. It is when he flipped the Michigan State lineman.

Last edited by a moderator:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

Curious now what the Titans do at the number 2 back. They seem committed to a two back system, and this year, DH as the 1 should expect 65-75% of the carries.

His pass protection has improved since his rookie year, which is a really big deal, obviously. Can’t wait to see the big man carry the load!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012

Well looks like DH has company in the backfield with Dion Lewis coming to the Titians.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Dion Lewis is a nice change up back for a guy like Henry. The Titans are really close to being a special team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.