For Auburn 2 is a Magic Number

Go4Two1966

Jan 14, 2018
In 1972, Alabama was ranked number 2 in the nation. A "poetic" Auburn player made the prediction that Auburn would go to Birmingham and "beat the number 2" out of Alabama. Supposedly, when Auburn won, although they played an inferior game, by blocking two or our punts, the Auburn fans rolled the trees with toilet paper in celebration of "beating the number 2," get it, out of Alabama. Thus, one of the great Auburn traditions is related to a scatological comment by the ever-poetic Auburn football player who was obsessed with "number 2". But, that is not where the Magic Number of 2 ends with Auburn. Auburn has won 2 National Championships in their "storied" career. Alabama's National Championship is also related to the number 2; we have failed to win national championships in ONLY two decades since 1925, the 50s and 80s. Otherwise, we have won them in every decade. Auburn is of course the number two child in Alabama football--no one made a movie called "War Eagle"; Steely Dan didn't say "they call Auburn the War Eagles," and the list of popular references go on. Anyway, Auburn can't escape the magic number of 2; indeed, when I think of Auburn I think of taking a 2 in their honor. Oh, btw, Scam Newton's number was 2, which is certainly fitting. Auburn is Number 2 in every way one can imagine.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I always have thought Awbern could only win with lucky or gimmick plays. Things like the blocked punts, no huddle, a jump pass, a kick 6, or a tipped pass. They have seldom been able to line up head to head and beat us.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Like CPB once said, and I believe he was serious....."If we don't beat Auburn..then we just ought to stay home and plow."
I am glad that Alabama didn't listen to that advice last year. As good as Coach Bryant was, it really seemed that he was too fixated on Auburn. He seemed to have a fan's dislike of them.

I am glad that Alabama didn't listen to that advice last year. As good as Coach Bryant was, it really seemed that he was too fixated on Auburn. He seemed to have a fan's dislike of them.
I don’t mind that dislike. I wish Coach Saban had the same.

I really does know much Coach Saban dislikes them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, he wasn't fixated on them, he was somewhat dismissive of them. In general, his teams played great against them. His real fire was directed towards Tennessee. Understandably so, during his playing days and asst coaching days UT was Bama's primary threat to the SEC throne and Bama did not play AU, who was an SEC afterthought until the mid 50s. During the 40 years that Alabama and AU did not play 1908-1947, Bama's winning % was 3rd nationally, UT's 5th and AU's 80th. Bama would have won probably 30 of those 40 games. That's why AU's record against Bama is not as bad as most other SEC programs. Bama didn't have a losing season from 1904-1950.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IMO, he wasn't fixated on them, he was somewhat dismissive of them. In general, his teams played great against them. His real fire was directed towards Tennessee. Understandably so, during his playing days and asst coaching days UT was Bama's primary threat to the SEC throne and Bama did not play AU, who was an SEC afterthought until the mid 50s. During the 40 years that Alabama and AU did not play 1908-1947, Bama's winning % was 3rd nationally, UT's 5th and AU's 80th. Bama would have won probably 30 of those 40 games. That's why AU's record against Bama is not as bad as most other SEC programs. Bama didn't have a losing season from 1904-1950.
It's kinda for this reason that I wish CNS had a little more hatred for Auburn. I know he's said he does, but in the first 10 years of his tenure in T-town his emphasis was mainly on LSU, and for good reason.

I think they are going to shrink back to pre-CNS days to a large extent, but Auburn, right now, is probably the biggest obstacle standing in our path each year.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
It's kinda for this reason that I wish CNS had a little more hatred for Auburn. I know he's said he does, but in the first 10 years of his tenure in T-town his emphasis was mainly on LSU, and for good reason.

I think they are going to shrink back to pre-CNS days to a large extent, but Auburn, right now, is probably the biggest obstacle standing in our path each year.
On the bright side Auburn's hatred for Saban still runs deep.....it makes me happy

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

As far as the West, I agree. He's handled them well 7 of the last 10, but the first 2 of the losses were mostly luck, though they had good teams, and this years' was with an injured team with a one-legged offense. I.e., AU has been very fortunate. But that also has spooked a few Bama fans a lot, and maybe the team a little. Hope not. But Bama probably should be 8-2, 9-1. AU is so erratic but has benefitted from odd events and perfect circumstances to pull out the 3 wins. And Bama is their life.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As far as the West, I agree. He's handled them well 7 of the last 10, but the first 2 of the losses were mostly luck, though they had good teams, and this years' was with an injured team with a one-legged offense. I.e., AU has been very fortunate. But that also has spooked a few Bama fans a lot, and maybe the team a little. Hope not. But Bama probably should be 8-2, 9-1. AU is so erratic but has benefitted from odd events and perfect circumstances to pull out the 3 wins. And Bama is their life.
I'm thinking more of how we seem to play with a little less emotion against them. I know their attitude and know that Bama is their season. But I just wish we played AU with more emotion.

We got lucky last year. It's not that we don't have bigger fish to fry than Auburn. They are just one game, but the timing of this game makes it a "can't lose" game 99 times out of 100.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm thinking more of how we seem to play with a little less emotion against them. I know their attitude and know that Bama is their season. But I just wish we played AU with more emotion.

We got lucky last year. It's not that we don't have bigger fish to fry than Auburn. They are just one game, but the timing of this game makes it a "can't lose" game 99 times out of 100.
I prefer Alabama coming in as a well oiled machine than an emotional time bomb. We were the more emotional team from 03-07.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.