NCAA Tournament Selection

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
I could’ve miscounted but Bama is 7-7 against those they’ve played in that field. I didn’t count two wins vs. teams we beat twice (AU/TAMU) just that we beat them. Nor did I count two losses if they beat Bama twice (UK). So 10 seed is about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So 9-8 then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I could’ve miscounted but Bama is 7-7 against those they’ve played in that field. I didn’t count two wins vs. teams we beat twice (AU/TAMU) just that we beat them. Nor did I count two losses if they beat Bama twice (UK). So 10 seed is about right.
We went 9-9 against tournament teams:
Wins: Lipscomb, Rhode Island, A&M x2, Auburn x2, Oklahoma, Florida, Tennessee.
Losses: Arizona, Texas, Missouri, Kentucky x2, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, A&M.

I, also, would have been okay with a 10 seed - as good as a 7 and you miss the 1 seed.

Watching the shows and I've only heard 1 talking head pick us to win the Va. Tech game. Not too surprising...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Actually this works out quite well for us. Va Tech doesn’t have a player taller than 6’6... and if we can get past them Nova plays a 4 guard lineup. Of all the 1 seeds we could play, this is the one that we matchup best with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VT has a player, Blackshear, listed as 6-10 forward that averages 12.6 points per game. Is he out?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
VT has a player, Blackshear, listed as 6-10 forward that averages 12.6 points per game. Is he out?
I think he plays. They have another player, Clark who rebounds well. Bottom line, Don't allow offensive rebounds.. and limit turnovers.. and actually make our shot. We have an opportunity to slow them down with our defense. Keep the score under 80 points and we have a chance.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
That’s my bad. I got some bad information from another site. I’ll delete my previous post. I watched them play against UVA this year and they are a scrappy team and well coached. However, they are inconsistent just like us.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
... I watched them play against UVA this year and they are a scrappy team and well coached. However, they are inconsistent just like us.
They were crushed by UVA at home and then beat them by one on the road.

They have 5 players scoring in double digits and average 80 points a game. It appears that most of their scoring comes from outside players so Bama defense may cause them problems. Now the question remains as to where Bama will get its points.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They were crushed by UVA at home and then beat them by one on the road.

They have 5 players scoring in double digits and average 80 points a game. It appears that most of their scoring comes from outside players so Bama defense may cause them problems. Now the question remains as to where Bama will get its points.
They also lack depth, which means that you need to attack the basket and get them in foul trouble.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If 'Bama can get past VaTech, 'Nova's as ripe as No. 1 Stanford was 15 years ago for a Tide takedown.
Based on what? Stanford that year was WAY over hyped -- playing in a weak Pac 10/12 -- that has one superstar player who laid an egg vs Bama.....we also had three deadly 3 point shooters that year.....

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Does anybody see a team in the SEC (other than Kentucky) going deep into the tournament?

Would not be shocked to see UT, MIZ, AU, ARKY, or UF make a run towards the elite 8. Especially ARKY, not sold at all on Purdue or Tech as the 2 and 3 seed in that region.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Based on what? Stanford that year was WAY over hyped -- playing in a weak Pac 10/12 -- that has one superstar player who laid an egg vs Bama.....we also had three deadly 3 point shooters that year.....

It great to think about going further in the tourney, but lets worry about 1 at a time. VA tech will enough of a test for this team. I think we have a good chance to advance, but as coach Saban said, the most important game is the next one.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think Mizzou is intriguing -- if they can get Porter into a rhythm -- they could make a run, OR they could flame out in the first game.....

Don't see Auburn, A&M, Arkansas or Florida making it far.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
We went 9-9 against tournament teams:
Wins: Lipscomb, Rhode Island, A&M x2, Auburn x2, Oklahoma, Florida, Tennessee.
Losses: Arizona, Texas, Missouri, Kentucky x2, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, A&M.

I, also, would have been okay with a 10 seed - as good as a 7 and you miss the 1 seed.

Watching the shows and I've only heard 1 talking head pick us to win the Va. Tech game. Not too surprising...
Kinda like a coin toss to pick Bama. However, I will be hopeful and watching cause one cannot tell which Bama team will show up.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I think Mizzou is intriguing -- if they can get Porter into a rhythm -- they could make a run, OR they could flame out in the first game.....

Don't see Auburn, A&M, Arkansas or Florida making it far.
You might not see it, but sometimes teams with a tournament history, like your latter two above, "see" for themselves a deep run.

As for your "based on what?" contesting 'Nova's vulnerability in a potential matchup with and upset by 'Bama, let's just say that I've seen a lot of Philly and Big East basketball over the last four decades...

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You might not see it, but sometimes teams with a tournament history, like your latter two above, "see" for themselves a deep run.

As for your "based on what?" contesting 'Nova's vulnerability in a potential matchup with and upset by 'Bama, let's just say that I've seen a lot of Philly and Big East basketball over the last four decades...
That's cool -- but what about Nova makes you think they are vulnerable was what I was trying to determine, not your credentials (or anyone's) as a basketball fan. But from what you've seen, what makes them seem as vulnerable as Stanford was?

Also -- Florida's success was based on Billy Donovan (except for the one good Kruger year) -- (like him or not).....no history prior.....so not sure if their legacy will get them far now that his impact on recruiting is less. Arkansas -- http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/history/_/team1/5235 hasn't made it past the second round in 22 years.....

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.