What about Urban? Is he doing less with more?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
edit: The only reason I even mentioned it at all in this thread is because BIGTide mentioned Urban Meyer doing the same sort of thing with his quarterback that doesn't produce much of a passing threat. I would note, however, that though I don't watch Ohio State very much, I don't think they have a guy as talented as Tua Tagovailoa on the bench.
We did not have a player quite as good as Tua on the roster last year (and no one even close in 2016), but we did have 2 players who were much better passers last year and were never given a shot as Meyer just trusted JT more.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
We did not have a player quite as good as Tua on the roster last year (and no one even close in 2016), but we did have 2 players who were much better passers last year and were never given a shot as Meyer just trusted JT more.
Which is surprising to me because, as another poster already noted, Meyer has been known for prolific offense, unlike Saban, who has made his career mostly on defense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Which is surprising to me because, as another poster already noted, Meyer has been known for prolific offense, unlike Saban, who has made his career mostly on defense.
Yes and no - he developed a type of spread offense that requires a very mobile QB but doesn't really stretch the field vertically. Haskins is not as mobile as JT (who really is very similar to Jalen). Martell reminds me a lot of Tua, but he was a true freshman so Haskins got the nod as the backup QB.

But the reality - Meyer wins with great defense. Look at his teams, both at FL and OSU. All start with great defenses.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
I profess that I don't watch Ohio State enough to know. I just remember Florida was probably the best SEC offense when he was there, but SEC defenses hadn't quite adjusted for his style. Then, when Ohio State beat Alabama for the national title a few years ago, you guys played a pretty good game offensively.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Facts may show that you are right,
Ain't no "may" to it...

but as a fan of the preseason #3 with high hopes, that loss felt like a blowout. It was also the last time I consumed alcohol during an Alabama game, as a side note.
No argument that it FELT like a blowout.

The next week we beat Vandy, 28-10, and that didn't FEEL like a 28-10 win, either. Indeed, the only win we had that felt like a win that year was when we pole-axed Ole Miss.

Even if we had beaten UCF closely, it would have felt like a loss.

And the LSU and Auburn scores were artificially close, too.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I profess that I don't watch Ohio State enough to know. I just remember Florida was probably the best SEC offense when he was there, but SEC defenses hadn't quite adjusted for his style. Then, when Ohio State beat Alabama for the national title a few years ago, you guys played a pretty good game offensively.
Agree that his offense were hard to defend, but it has been his defenses that have made the difference. Meyer doesn't run a Big 12 program. It all starts on the defensive side of the ball.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My 2 cents, none of them can touch Saban so you are really are arguing who is second place .
Who was arguing that besides FOX

I think Urban when he has talent at QB he wins, when his QB is not top level he does not win.
His best qb is probably Braxton Miller, but he didn't win it with Braxton. Lets stop acting like Tebow and Cardell Jones were these world beater qbs just because they out physicaled Bama defenses that were a year away from being something special. 2008 was more to do with their defense than Tebow and 2014 was more to do with our defense reloading and Zeke Elliot.

Many seem to need the BIG TIME QB to win a title.
What BIG time qb did Urban use to win a title? If you are talking about Tebow then I will grant you that he is a unique leader, but he is a far better runner and motivator than a passing qb. Cardell Jones was not big time.

Nick builds teams top to bottom side to side. Others seem top only be able to win big when they have Heisman caliber QB.
Yes Tebow won the Heisman and was a finalist two other years, but the closest any Urban Meyer qb not named Tebow got to the Heisman came in 5th. AJ finished 2nd in 2013, and was a Heisman favorite until his game against aTm where he threw 2 picks and Johnny unloaded against us. So really CNS and Urban have really both just had 1 true Heisman caliber qb.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.