News Article: John Petty Explains Mental Side of Slump, Why He Thinks It's Over

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It’s more than mental imo. His mechanics are off and have been for most of the season.

He almost always appears slightly out of sync and off balance like he’s trying to guide the shot instead of stepping into to it and firing through the rotation.

I want him to get better and snap out of for the team but something is ‘off’ with this kid. I haven’t been fond of his body language all season.

But he wears a Crimson Jersey so I’m trying to pull for him anyway.... fingers crossed.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Are his mechanics different than when he was in high school?
I think.that could possibly play a part , but I'm contributing that to the mental aspect. Part of the mental lapse or funk in shooters is losing your touch or shooting technique that made them what they are. I know I went through it for a year in high school, junior year, before I was able to recapture my shooting in my senior year. Total mental lapse and loss of feel for the ball and release.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
He has been much better at home than on the road to this point, and that certainly does point to there being a mental block of some kind.

We will need him to be good next year, so I hope the staff has a plan for him.

rtr

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Petty's body language improved over the last few games when he was missing his shots. He stayed engaged and worked harder on defense and rebounding than he had in earlier games when he moped after going into a shooting slump. Seems to be moving in the right direction after the dip in mid-season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My opinion, Petty is not a dribble, drive, pull up shooter. He's more of what we'd call a set, jump shooter. Contrast that with someone like Steph Curry, MJ or even Larry Bird who could shoot a jumper but also shoot off the dribble.

The game when he went off early in the season and scored 30, IIRC, probably did him harm for the rest of the year. That game he was shooting 3s falling out of bounds and they were going in. I think he got lulled into taking what would be bad shots for him.

My guess is his mechanics got off slightly and much of that would probably include not having his feet set for what is comfortable to him and timing, which is a result of the speed of the game and trying to have a quicker release.

Edit: I haven't studied his shot much, but in the picture from the article, I don't like how his right elbow is not more under the ball. May be the camera angle, but it looks like that elbow would produce some sidespin more than backspin. In that pic, if we saw the follow thru I imagine it would not be directly at the rim, but off to the right of it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.