Bama vs Marymount - 1990 Sweet 16 Matchup

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Bama was the better team. Something gripes me about the better team playing to keep the game close. I know one argument is that Bama players would not have been able to keep up with LMU's pace without going too deep into the bench. LMU players never slowed down; Bama players were bigger so they probably tired easier.

Bama could have pushed and scored and developed a better offensive rhythm and probably grabbed a good lead though it took a while for Bama to get adjusted to the game. Bama's defense was much more than LMU was used to facing; Bama blocked a ton of shots. Bama was hitting the 3-pointers very well over a stretch of games going into this one as mentioned during the game. Stalling the ball led to a few more turnovers due to players passing up scoring opportunities to burn more clock resulting in more passing and dribbling than necessary.

Bama was one of the few teams that had the players to be competitive with UNLV that year. Really hated losing this game...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Bama was the better team. Something gripes me about the better team playing to keep the game close. I know one argument is that Bama players would not have been able to keep up with LMU's pace without going too deep into the bench. LMU players never slowed down; Bama players were bigger so they probably tired easier.

Bama could have pushed and scored and developed a better offensive rhythm and probably grabbed a good lead though it took a while for Bama to get adjusted to the game. Bama's defense was much more than LMU was used to facing; Bama blocked a ton of shots. Bama was hitting the 3-pointers very well over a stretch of games going into this one as mentioned during the game. Stalling the ball led to a few more turnovers due to players passing up scoring opportunities to burn more clock resulting in more passing and dribbling than necessary.

Bama was one of the few teams that had the players to be competitive with UNLV that year. Really hated losing this game...
I thought it was a good strategy to slow the game down and frustrate LMU. It worked until the end when we choked. Although we had very good athletes I don't think we were built to run the same way they were. That was their game and they were very good at it. They didn't care if they gave up 90-100 points because they knew they were going to wear you down and beat you late in the game when your legs were gone. Who knows how it would have turned out had we played that style but I still think the strategy was the correct one. That was a very, very bitter loss.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Wow, I remember this game - that was a fun season. Was expecting a high scoring game, after watching that shootout loyola maramount had with lsu earlier that season, we nearly had the win but came up short.

That LM team only scored under a hundred three other times that year, and those were still in the nineties. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/loyola-marymount/1990-schedule.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Why did yall make me watch this again? I remember when the game was switched to the other game I thought Bama was picking up the pace and starting to run away with the game. When it switched back, LMU had cut the lead and Horry was throwing the ball away left and right.

The refs seemed to favor LMU on some of the calls but Bama really messed up with all the turnovers in a couple of minutes span around the 3-4 minute mark. Cheatum was a great college player and I could not believe it when he missed that shot by the basket...argh!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
That game really hurt me. I was at Bama at the time, and we were having a little party to watch the game. When it was over I had to go outside for a while. I remember there was a wooden fence beside my apartment building in Fountain Square. I just walked around and sat on the ground with my back against the fence for about twenty minutes so my anger would just turn to disappointment.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I thought it was a good strategy to slow the game down and frustrate LMU. It worked until the end when we choked. Although we had very good athletes I don't think we were built to run the same way they were. That was their game and they were very good at it. They didn't care if they gave up 90-100 points because they knew they were going to wear you down and beat you late in the game when your legs were gone. Who knows how it would have turned out had we played that style but I still think the strategy was the correct one. That was a very, very bitter loss.
We weren't deep enough to run the entire game. Wimp played 8 guys....that was his trademark. He played 8.....and many thought over the years that was why we always flamed out in the round of 16......we were just tired

That game we played 6 -- and Sanders played all 40 and Waites played 39 (because he hurt his face)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1990-03-23-alabama.html

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
We weren't deep enough to run the entire game. Wimp played 8 guys....that was his trademark. He played 8.....and many thought over the years that was why we always flamed out in the round of 16......we were just tired

That game we played 6 -- and Sanders played all 40 and Waites played 39 (because he hurt his face)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1990-03-23-alabama.html
This makes sense but Coach Sanderson took this to extreme. An occasional quick basket will allow the back players to rest when they don't have to travel to the other end of the court to play offense.

The strategy was very effective though; Bama just screwed up in the last 4 minutes or so. Bama was suckered into a couple of long pass, fast break attempts that resulted in early turnovers. The announcer nailed it when Bama had the rash of late turnovers. LMU was able to press completely in their half of the court late in the game because Bama refused to throw the breakaway pass and LMU was able to ignore defending it.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Let's remember that Loyola, allowed to rev its full turbo, scored 149 points in the previous game against the defending national champion. We had fine players, but we had to slow the game down to win. And despite popular myth, we didn't have the depth or the talent that year to run with UNLV. Nobody did.

But we should have beaten Loyola.

This makes sense but Coach Sanderson took this to extreme. An occasional quick basket will allow the back players to rest when they don't have to travel to the other end of the court to play offense.The strategy was very effective though; Bama just screwed up in the last 4 minutes or so. Bama was suckered into a couple of long pass, fast break attempts that resulted in early turnovers. The announcer nailed it when Bama had the rash of late turnovers. LMU was able to press completely in their half of the court late in the game because Bama refused to throw the breakaway pass and LMU was able to ignore defending it.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Let's remember that Loyola, allowed to rev its full turbo, scored 149 points in the previous game against the defending national champion. We had fine players, but we had to slow the game down to win. And despite popular myth, we didn't have the depth or the talent that year to run with UNLV. Nobody did.

But we should have beaten Loyola.
Maybe not run with UNLV in a fast paced game but Bama had the depth and talent to compete with them; Bama was playing very well at the end of the season. UNLV lost a few games but looked unbeatable late in the season; however, they beat Ball State by 2 points in the same round that Bama lost to LMU.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Didn't Tark made a statement about Bama being the team that scared him the most? I honestly don't think we would have beaten them if they had played well but if the overlooked us then we did have the talent to give them a good scare and possibly pull the upset.

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
I watched it at Royal Court apartments in T-Town. I'll never forget the disappointment and I think about this game every time I drive through the neighborhood, to this day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.