Stephen Hawking has passed away - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 55
  1. #27
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,769

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    He was an atheist, but that wasn’t the main focus of his life. I think a comment like that is fair for a Christopher Hitchens, but is out of bounds here.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Advertisement
  3. #28
    BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    3,621

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    Big Bang Theory had some good Hawking moments, this is one of my favorite:

    Last edited by CrimsonNagus; March 15th, 2018 at 08:14 AM.

  4. #29
    FB|BB Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Burbs of Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    4,252

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    And non-Christians are allowed to point out the obviously hypocritical exhibition of non-Christian behaviors by Christians....it's one of the joys of being Human.
    I will offer two comments, then I'll leave this alone.

    First, I don't see where religious belief, or lack thereof, is a prerequisite for pointing out hypocrisy.

    Second, there's enough hypocrisy to go around for all religions, atheists, conservatives and liberals. I enjoy pointing them all out.

    Christians exhibiting un-Christian behavior is just one. Muslims using the Koran to justify murder is another. Wall Street capitalists simultaneously wanting government support and otherwise free markets is always good for a laugh. Liberals wrapping themselves in the flag of free speech in order to prevent conservatives from being heard is still another fun one.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

  5. #30
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    17,698

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    I thought he was a great author although “Children of the Corn” was pretty scary when I was young. My favorite work of his turned movie was “Shawshank.”
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

    "In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

  6. #31
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
    Posts
    6,787

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I thought he was a great author although “Children of the Corn” was pretty scary when I was young. My favorite work of his turned movie was “Shawshank.”
    Funny...Haw, Haw, Haw!

  7. #32
    BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    7,416

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    I will offer two comments, then I'll leave this alone.

    First, I don't see where religious belief, or lack thereof, is a prerequisite for pointing out hypocrisy.

    Second, there's enough hypocrisy to go around for all religions, atheists, conservatives and liberals. I enjoy pointing them all out.

    Christians exhibiting un-Christian behavior is just one. Muslims using the Koran to justify murder is another. Wall Street capitalists simultaneously wanting government support and otherwise free markets is always good for a laugh. Liberals wrapping themselves in the flag of free speech in order to prevent conservatives from being heard is still another fun one.
    It's not a prerequisite. I agree that hypocrisy of all sorts is fun to point out and generally speaking we're all guilty of hypocrisy on something but that's also why I said it was one of the joys of being Human. It just happens to be a personal favorite of mine, not that it's the only one worthy of being called out.

  8. #33
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    17,698

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    Gotta disagree there, Jon. I think comments like Mobile's do mean something -- just probably not what he intended. That's because it says infinitely more about the commenter than it does about Hawking or any other atheist.

    I am repeatedly amazed at how often the most vocal Christians exhibit the most incredibly un-Christian behaviors, simply because someone else believes differently from them.

    WWJS indeed.

    Btw - it isn't JUST atheists.


    I watched a number of Christians suddenly come out of the woodwork to express their dismay over specifics of Billy Graham's doctrine before his body was even cold. They'd done plenty of that in his life; they can do it in three months. WHY come out now with that objection? There's times I think it's driven by a spirit of self-importance. "Hey, Billy Graham was well-known and I'm not......so if I post this nasty post about him on the Internet, maybe folks will listen to me and not him."

    I just personally think the condescending "well now (George Carlin/Christopher Hitchens/Stephen Hawking/Whoever) knows he was wrong and is burning in Hell" is incredibly.....well, it's a really arrogant and more important UNLOVING way to approach things. Let's just assume that Christianity IS the sole truth it claims to be.......what kind of person would take any kind of JOY in someone suffering for eternity?

    I know it can get heated on this board at times, and I can be as guilty as anyone. And yeah, it's normal to think about "Okay, is there anything after death" out there at specific times. It'd be a little different if someone expressed SADNESS if they hold to that view. James White, a Protestant apologist, had set up to debate Hitchens back in 2010 I believe. The very moment he learned of Hitchens's cancer, he immediately contacted him to withdraw from the debate because Hitch had more important things on his plate. He also - while yes, holding to the Christless eternity of Hitchens - had a LOT good to say about him and even said basically what I'm saying here about the whole snide thing.

    After all - it literally IS but for the grace of God or is supposed to be.

    (And yes, I think post-death conversion stories are disgusting myself).
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

    "In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

  9. #34
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    13,809

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    This thread has been hijacked into Christianity vs Atheism which is not about the life and legacy of Stephen Hawking. It seems we find a way to make every thread on NS about this or liberal vs conservatives or pro Trump or anti Trump. Can we not accept the fact that Stephen Hawking was a genius whose life was one of brilliance in spite of suffering for nearly 50 years with ALS. Whether he was an atheist or christian is not important. RIP Stephen Hawking.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

    "Get off my lawn." Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino

  10. #35
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,655

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    A vegan, crossfitter, and an atheist all walked into a bar, I only know because they told everyone in two minutes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

  11. #36
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,685

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by MobileCrimson View Post
    He was a very smart scientist. However, He was an atheist and will soon find out how that worked out for him.
    I'm afraid today isn't looking anything like he thought it would.

  12. #37
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,685

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Whether he was an atheist or christian is not important.
    I understand your point, but one could argue that is what is most important.

  13. #38
    BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Titus, AL
    Posts
    7,416

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    I'm afraid today isn't looking anything like he thought it would.
    You mean that a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites would try to act superior to him in death while likely not even following their own magical book on a daily basis? I have a feeling he expected that.

  14. #39
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,655

    Re: Stephen Hawking has passed away

    Condescension smells the same no matter which direction it comes from.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!

Bama Gear up to 60% off!

TideFansStore.com - Fanatics up to 60% off through midnight 6/11!