Stephen Hawking has passed away

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Gotta disagree there, Jon. I think comments like Mobile's do mean something -- just probably not what he intended. That's because it says infinitely more about the commenter than it does about Hawking or any other atheist.

I am repeatedly amazed at how often the most vocal Christians exhibit the most incredibly un-Christian behaviors, simply because someone else believes differently from them.

WWJS indeed.
sure, there is that. Guess I am just used to it so I expect it at this point. Like in my signature I use here. Came when Pratchet's amazingly brilliant mind was slowly withering away due to Alzheimers and some Preachers started lying about him converting. Happened with Hitchens too.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Gotta disagree there, Jon. I think comments like Mobile's do mean something -- just probably not what he intended. That's because it says infinitely more about the commenter than it does about Hawking or any other atheist.

I am repeatedly amazed at how often the most vocal Christians exhibit the most incredibly un-Christian behaviors, simply because someone else believes differently from them.

WWJS indeed.
Christians are allowed to exhibit non-Christian behaviors.....it's one of the joys of being Human.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Christians are allowed to exhibit non-Christian behaviors.....it's one of the joys of being Human.
And non-Christians are allowed to point out the obviously hypocritical exhibition of non-Christian behaviors by Christians....it's one of the joys of being Human.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
So, you are saying you are holding Christians to a higher standard than atheists?
Sure, why not.

Actually... what I'm mostly saying is that it gives me joy to know that even if the Christians that feel that way are right and Stephen Hawking right now is getting poked with a pitchfork that most so-called Christians throughout history are right there with him going through the same thing and feeling mighty stupid. The ironic nature of it is amusing.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He was an atheist, but that wasn’t the main focus of his life. I think a comment like that is fair for a Christopher Hitchens, but is out of bounds here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
And non-Christians are allowed to point out the obviously hypocritical exhibition of non-Christian behaviors by Christians....it's one of the joys of being Human.
I will offer two comments, then I'll leave this alone.

First, I don't see where religious belief, or lack thereof, is a prerequisite for pointing out hypocrisy.

Second, there's enough hypocrisy to go around for all religions, atheists, conservatives and liberals. I enjoy pointing them all out.

Christians exhibiting un-Christian behavior is just one. Muslims using the Koran to justify murder is another. Wall Street capitalists simultaneously wanting government support and otherwise free markets is always good for a laugh. Liberals wrapping themselves in the flag of free speech in order to prevent conservatives from being heard is still another fun one.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I thought he was a great author although “Children of the Corn” was pretty scary when I was young. My favorite work of his turned movie was “Shawshank.”

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I will offer two comments, then I'll leave this alone.

First, I don't see where religious belief, or lack thereof, is a prerequisite for pointing out hypocrisy.

Second, there's enough hypocrisy to go around for all religions, atheists, conservatives and liberals. I enjoy pointing them all out.

Christians exhibiting un-Christian behavior is just one. Muslims using the Koran to justify murder is another. Wall Street capitalists simultaneously wanting government support and otherwise free markets is always good for a laugh. Liberals wrapping themselves in the flag of free speech in order to prevent conservatives from being heard is still another fun one.
It's not a prerequisite. I agree that hypocrisy of all sorts is fun to point out and generally speaking we're all guilty of hypocrisy on something but that's also why I said it was one of the joys of being Human. It just happens to be a personal favorite of mine, not that it's the only one worthy of being called out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

WWJS indeed.

Btw - it isn't JUST atheists.

I watched a number of Christians suddenly come out of the woodwork to express their dismay over specifics of Billy Graham's doctrine before his body was even cold. They'd done plenty of that in his life; they can do it in three months. WHY come out now with that objection? There's times I think it's driven by a spirit of self-importance. "Hey, Billy Graham was well-known and I'm not......so if I post this nasty post about him on the Internet, maybe folks will listen to me and not him."

I just personally think the condescending "well now (George Carlin/Christopher Hitchens/Stephen Hawking/Whoever) knows he was wrong and is burning in Hell" is incredibly.....well, it's a really arrogant and more important UNLOVING way to approach things. Let's just assume that Christianity IS the sole truth it claims to be.......what kind of person would take any kind of JOY in someone suffering for eternity?

I know it can get heated on this board at times, and I can be as guilty as anyone. And yeah, it's normal to think about "Okay, is there anything after death" out there at specific times. It'd be a little different if someone expressed SADNESS if they hold to that view. James White, a Protestant apologist, had set up to debate Hitchens back in 2010 I believe. The very moment he learned of Hitchens's cancer, he immediately contacted him to withdraw from the debate because Hitch had more important things on his plate. He also - while yes, holding to the Christless eternity of Hitchens - had a LOT good to say about him and even said basically what I'm saying here about the whole snide thing.

After all - it literally IS but for the grace of God or is supposed to be.

(And yes, I think post-death conversion stories are disgusting myself).

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This thread has been hijacked into Christianity vs Atheism which is not about the life and legacy of Stephen Hawking. It seems we find a way to make every thread on NS about this or liberal vs conservatives or pro Trump or anti Trump. Can we not accept the fact that Stephen Hawking was a genius whose life was one of brilliance in spite of suffering for nearly 50 years with ALS. Whether he was an atheist or christian is not important. RIP Stephen Hawking.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
A vegan, crossfitter, and an atheist all walked into a bar, I only know because they told everyone in two minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I'm afraid today isn't looking anything like he thought it would.
You mean that a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites would try to act superior to him in death while likely not even following their own magical book on a daily basis? I have a feeling he expected that.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Reactions to Stephen Hawking's death slammed as 'ableist' — here’s why

So some folks said that Hawkings was "freed" from his wheelchair and "self-appointed handicapped" spokewomen jumped on that to shame the folks for using "ablist" language.

Maybe folks felt pity for him and his severe disabilities and wished he had not lived a life so constrained. Or maybe they are not sure how to react and are just saddened by his death. Period.
Instead, we are going to get on our high horse and express outrage over the "ablist" language.

I bet these complainers are fun at parties.

I personally am sorry the guy is dead. He was bright and helped expand the frontiers of knowledge. I'm glad he lived. If he ever had a moment in which he wished he had not had ALS, I wish he had gotten to live a life without ALS. I did not cause his ALS. Neither did he. I do not know why he had to live with ALS. That makes me sad. I'm still glad he lived and I'm sorry he's gone.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.