Bama VS Va Tech - 1st Round NCAA Matchup (Predictions)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
https://www.gobblercountry.com/2018...iew-hokies-crimson-basketball-ncaa-tournament

Gobbler Country: For those of us who don’t watch enough SEC basketball, could you take us through and describe Alabama’s season thus far? What were the highs and lows that landed the Crimson a tournament berth, especially since the team was only 8-10 in SEC play but managed to play well in the SEC tournament?

Brent Taylor: Man, this is the kind of question that could leave you with an entire novel of an answer. A little backstory: for the last decade, Alabama basketball has been stuck in a sort of mediocrity that is just good enough to keep coaches from getting fired too often, but not good enough to leave fans with anything other than a mostly-bland, slightly-bitter taste in their mouths. Coach Avery Johnson brought a spark to the program 2 years ago when he was hired, and then signed a recruiting class this year (with Collin Sexton) that is probably the program’s best ever, and brought all kinds of expectations with it. The Tide started strong out-of-conference, and nearly took down the then-ranked #14 Minnesota despite playing with only 3 players after nearly the entire team got suspended mid-game for leaving the bench when the weren’t supposed to.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
https://collegefootballnews.com/201...-tech-ncaa-tournament-prediction-game-preview

I'll NOT take it......

What’s Going To Happen
Alabama has the guy in Sexton, but can he carry a mediocre team that makes a whole lot of big mistakes? The defense is great, and it’s able to clean up every rebound, and that has to be the way this works.
Virginia Tech has the offense that Bama doesn’t, and it can get back in any game with the three, but is it tough enough to hang on when it doesn’t come up enough key rebounds?

The Hokies don’t commit fouls, and Alabama does. The Hokies hit their free throws, and the Crimson Tide don’t. Get ready for a fun 8-9 fight that comes down to the line, and that’s where Virginia Tech pulls it off.
Fearless Prediction & Line
Virginia Tech 75, Alabama 71
Line: Virginia Tech -2, o/u: 141.5

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No one is going to have confidence in this team unless they go on a run in the playoffs. Even Alabama fans don't have confidence right now.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I honestly have no idea what will happen with Alabama in this tournament or any team for that matter. It seemed harder to pick teams this year than any other year. I think Warren Buffet’s billion dollar offer (is he still doing that?) is safe again this year.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I honestly have no idea what will happen with Alabama in this tournament or any team for that matter. It seemed harder to pick teams this year than any other year. I think Warren Buffet’s billion dollar offer (is he still doing that?) is safe again this year.
He offers $1M for a perfect Sweet 16 bracket -- and still hasn't given it away

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
No one is going to have confidence in this team unless they go on a run in the playoffs. Even Alabama fans don't have confidence right now.
Any confidence would have to be pretended or naïve. Many great wins, but 15 losses, so, how can anyone know ? Also, the status of Hall - even if he plays, how effective will he be ?

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I'm calling a Bama win, but this game is a coin toss. I believe we have more raw talent and we have a definite size advantage. However, from what I've observed, VaTech is typically better coached and more fundamentally sound than we are. I'm taking us because they don't have a player on the court who can match Sexton if he's on his game. A guy like him can completely change your fortunes after March 1. Still, both teams are so streaky that I wouldn't put money on it either way.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
I like the match-up against VTech. They don't defend very well and struggle offensively at times, so I kind of expect another version of our last two games against Texas A&M. If we can hit some shots, we will be fine. But that is always a big if. I think Sexton is the difference, and if Petty, Dazon, and Braxton can give us quality play, we'll like where we are at the under 4 timeout in the 2nd half.

We really need Hall to be effective. I hope he can go and give us a solid 15-20 minutes at a minimum. That was a brutal fall though

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
I'm calling a Bama win, but this game is a coin toss. I believe we have more raw talent and we have a definite size advantage. However, from what I've observed, VaTech is typically better coached and more fundamentally sound than we are. I'm taking us because they don't have a player on the court who can match Sexton if he's on his game. A guy like him can completely change your fortunes after March 1. Still, both teams are so streaky that I wouldn't put money on it either way.
How? I’m curious

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
How? I’m curious
“Typically” was probably the wrong word to use. I’m stating my opinion based on what I’ve observed, which admittedly is a limited sample size. I’m basing it though on a couple of things.

One is my knowledge of Buzz Williams’ coached teams. He’s found decent success everywhere he’s been. He usually hasn’t had world-beater talent, but his teams are consistently in the tournament conversation. He had several good runs at Marquette in the Big East days, and now he’s taken a mediocre VaTech program and kept them in the better half of arguably the toughest conference in America. He’s no Bill Self, but Williams is a solid coach who gets a lot out of his teams.

Secondly I’m basing it on what I’ve observed the couple of times I’ve watched them play. Their guys have good fundamentals. They have some really good shooters and they move the ball well. All in all they seem to have a good scheme.

As I said, we have more talent than they do, and I think we will win. However this is a 20+ win ACC team who has beaten UNC, Duke, Clemson, and UVA. They even held tough against Kentucky at one point. To be where they are without having the top level talent as some in their conference leads me to believe they are a very well coached, albeit streaky, team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Without Donta I don’t know if we can win this game. Reese and Smith will have to come up big. Reese can be more dangerous from the 4/5 spot than Donta because of his shooting range. He’s going to have to improve on the defensive end (I’m confident he will).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
“Typically” was probably the wrong word to use. I’m stating my opinion based on what I’ve observed, which admittedly is a limited sample size. I’m basing it though on a couple of things.

One is my knowledge of Buzz Williams’ coached teams. He’s found decent success everywhere he’s been. He usually hasn’t had world-beater talent, but his teams are consistently in the tournament conversation. He had several good runs at Marquette in the Big East days, and now he’s taken a mediocre VaTech program and kept them in the better half of arguably the toughest conference in America. He’s no Bill Self, but Williams is a solid coach who gets a lot out of his teams.

Secondly I’m basing it on what I’ve observed the couple of times I’ve watched them play. Their guys have good fundamentals. They have some really good shooters and they move the ball well. All in all they seem to have a good scheme.

As I said, we have more talent than they do, and I think we will win. However this is a 20+ win ACC team who has beaten UNC, Duke, Clemson, and UVA. They even held tough against Kentucky at one point. To be where they are without having the top level talent as some in their conference leads me to believe they are a very well coached, albeit streaky, team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got ya, good points

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Any confidence would have to be pretended or naïve. Many great wins, but 15 losses, so, how can anyone know ? Also, the status of Hall - even if he plays, how effective will he be ?
I see this as the issue, particularly after the monster submarine by the AU player. His confidence has been fragile this year, plays great when it's high and disappears when it's low, which has been often. I regard his play as more central to our winning than Sexton's...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.